GDT: Germany Vs Canada

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not always. In this case, certainly.

Ordinarily I think we have a roster that is suitable to win Gold in every given year. Not this year.

I don't see it as a particularly controversial position.
How many players from the Latvian or German roster would make the Canada roster?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How many players from the Latvian or German roster would make the Canada roster?

Better Canadian teams have lost to teams like France (2014) and Norway (2000).

It doesn't shock me at all to see this Canadian team lose 3 in a row.

I even predicted the Germany-Canada score accurately.

There's more to hockey than just counting the number of NHLers, I'm not sure if you're aware.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Better Canadian teams have lost to teams like France (2014) and Norway (2000).

It doesn't shock me at all to see this Canadian team lose 3 in a row.

I even predicted the Germany-Canada score accurately.

There's more to hockey than just counting the number of NHLers, I'm not sure if you're aware.
Yes, the point is for Canada the problem isn't lack of NHLers. It's lack of being able to compete unless their roster is stacked to the brim and several levels above everyone else. Throw in 5-10 NHL stars and maaaaybe you beat Latvia. Cool.

Just accept that when rosters are anywhere near equal strength, Canada almost never wins.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes, the point is for Canada the problem isn't lack of NHLers. It's lack of being able to compete unless their roster is stacked to the brim and several levels above everyone else. Throw in 5-10 NHL stars and maaaaybe you beat Latvia. Cool.

Just accept that when rosters are anywhere near equal strength, Canada almost never wins.

I suppose you'd have a point if other favourites weren't choking all over the place.

What's their excuse?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I suppose you'd have a point if other favourites weren't choking all over the place.

What's their excuse?
I mean I haven't really seen fans of most other teams use the excuse "if only we had all our NHL stars". Sweden has sucked so far but there are no excuses except poor coaching and lack of effort. Would NHL stars help? Sure, but that doesn't make it any less embarrassing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I mean I haven't really seen fans of most other teams use the excuse "if only we had all our NHL stars". Sweden has sucked so far but there are no excuses except poor coaching and lack of effort. Would NHL stars help? Sure, but that doesn't make it any less embarrassing.

I don't get it.

Canada has lost plenty with much better teams against weak competition. If you're telling me that I should feel embarrassed, I don't, sorry.

It's not unusual for Canadian teams, even with much more talent, to start off tournaments slow.

Again, this outcome is along the lines of my own personal expectations, so why on Earth would I be surprised or disappointed?

Hopefully the team starts to string some better performances together and gets into the qualification round. They certainly played better against Germany than they did against Latvia.

Ultimately, I don't think they have the firepower to medal this year.

You can argue that Canada ALWAYS needs better talent to win, but basically they generally have enough available (at least since the late 90s and early 2000s) that this particular situation this year is fairly rare if not unique.

The most comparable team I can think of is the 2018 Olympic Team.

So you're dealing with a pretty small sample size.

Last edited:

olliho

Apr 1, 2008
I don't think so.

When I saw the roster, I didn't see a lot of experienced skill, and virtually no skilled 1st line or PP threats.

German Team is underrated. Big advantage is that they have 2 Lines who played the whole year together and pretty well in DEL (Reichel-Noebels-Pföderl + Eisenschmid-Loibl-Plachta) and a 3rd Line who know each other from the juniors Krämmer-Rieder-Kühnhackl. 14 Players on that Roster played at least a little time in the AHL or are drafted 1/2nd Round. We never had such Quality...

The Olympic Team had just 11 and that includes Guys like Endras,Boyle,Ehliz,Wolf,Pielmeier,Schütz or Macek, with just a couple of Games in NA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad