Should Gerard Gallant be Fired?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Quinn though a bad coach overall got more out of the overall talent he had offensively than GG did. Including Panarin who basically became a glorified passer who refuesed to shoot under Gallant.
I don't disagree. But it's not Gallant's system that turned Panarin into a glorified passer or forced him not to shoot. It's f***ing Panarin. The players (most of them) choked. They actually did a pretty good job on the Devils top guys - Hirschier, Meier, Bratt, we're all non-factors offensively. The Rangers beat themselves. Like, WTF was Fox doing on that turnover? Is that the system? There ain't no system on the planet that's gonna get Panarin to buy in.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You dont think some accountability would help this team?

I absolutely do. I just believe that the accountability has to come from the players. Why is a guy with a multi-year contract and NMC going to suddenly feel accountable when he knows the last guy who tried to tell him what to do didn't even last 24 months? Assuming the rumor is true anyway.

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I absolutely do. I just believe that the accountability has to come from the players. Why is a guy with a multi-year contract and NMC going to suddenly feel accountable when he knows the last guy who tried to tell him what to do didn't even last 24 months? Assuming the rumor is true anyway.

Fair. Panarin needs a demotion at minimum but that probably just makes him check out even further. Hopefully he is concerned about his reputation around the league as a playoff loser and coach killer. Or if we are lucky he just wants to get out of NY. Wishful thinking.

JMan74

Jun 27, 2019
I don't disagree. But it's not Gallant's system that turned Panarin into a glorified passer or forced him not to shoot. It's f***ing Panarin. The players (most of them) choked. They actually did a pretty good job on the Devils top guys - Hirschier, Meier, Bratt, we're all non-factors offensively. The Rangers beat themselves. Like, WTF was Fox doing on that turnover? Is that the system? There ain't no system on the planet that's gonna get Panarin to buy in.
Mc not to toot my own horn but just speaking from experience. Ive coached numerous sports over the last 20-25 years and system is an absolutely huge component in almost all of them. The coaches that adjust their systems to take advantage of their current personells skillsets are generally the coaches that are the most successful. When a system is not a good fit all players performances suffer. You can see it as their 5v5 performance for 2 years straight was horrific compared to the offensive talent they have on this team.

I don't think this is strange coincidence that this will likely be the 3rd team that Gallant has been let go from only lasting 2 seasons in each.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
f*** no! I don't want any part of Sutter. He ran all his stars of town, and the ones that were brought in to replace them hate him. The game has passed Sutter by.

I think living in Calgary did that.

I don't think hes a perfect option either but I'd prefer him to Quenville just for hockey reasons alone with out getting into Q's f***ery.

I'm not sure that firing Gallant right now is a great option. I don't really like the options out there and taking a chance on an unknown or someone with a light resume is too big of a risk.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I know Im on an island with my thoughts, but it baffles me that people think coaches make THAT much of an impact.

These players have been playing hockey their entire lifes, but some guy is gonna come along and teach them to make a few adjustments and things will be totally different? Not a chance

We dont have enough 'fast' players, and I dont mean just skating, but also thinking.

The biggest black hole for me will always be Panarin, just so non threatening every playoffs and when things get tight he just gives it away. I'd love to hear some of his thought on his game but since he doesnt talk to the media, we get nothing.

I would ship the guy out asap any way possible. 11 million dollar waste, but thanks for the regular season stats I guess

Cant wait to hire a new coach and have this same conversation 3 years from now.

Pick faster North/South players at the draft please...

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Mc not to toot my own horn but just speaking from experience. Ive coached numerous sports over the last 20-25 years and system is an absolutely huge component in almost all of them. The coaches that adjust their systems to take advantage of their current personells skillsets are generally the coaches that are the most successful. When a system is not a good fit all players performances suffer. You can see it as their 5v5 performance for 2 years straight was horrific compared to the offensive talent they have on this team.
Homie, I'm not saying it's not important. I'm saying using the system as a reason why this team failed is wrong. This team failed because 90% of the team was an outright embarrassment this series. Do you really think the system is the reason why Mika had 1 goal and Panarin had 0?? The same two guys who just put up 90+ point seasons?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Homie, I'm not saying it's not important. I'm saying using the system as a reason why this team failed is wrong. This team failed because 90% of the team was an outright embarrassment this series. Do you really think the system is the reason why Mika had 1 goal and Panarin had 0?? The same two guys who just put up 90+ point seasons?

We don't play NJ every night in the regular season, so yes.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Fair. Panarin needs a demotion at minimum but that probably just makes him check out even further. Hopefully he is concerned about his reputation around the league as a playoff loser and coach killer. Or if we are lucky he just wants to get out of NY. Wishful thinking.

Don't want to derail the thread but I think there will be a market for Panarin. Just depends if Drury can swallow the pill of trading a player like him for what will likely amount to a whole lot of "meh" and "maybe someday." A Gaborik to CBJ redux is about as good as we could hope for.

I have my issues with the way the team plays the game and I put that largely on Gallant. What I can't do is expect another coach to motivate a bunch of grown-ass men to rise to the occasion. Especially after I've seen this same issue over and over again with this organization for most of my 30ish years as a fan.

Even if Gallant was comatose behind the bench, this team should've been able to win this series on talent alone. Yet these supposedly elite skill players couldn't do f*** all with the opportunities they were given. They were supposed to feast on the power play and went 0/8 in their first two games at home with a chance to put their foot on the Devils neck.

A new coach is needed simply because Gallant isn't a good one and never has been. That should've been obvious to the Rangers before yet here we are.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I mean, the most coherent and best hockey we've played since the lockout (2014) was basically a Torts team. AV just let them breathe a little bit.

As soon as AV dug in, it was unwatchable and has been unwatchable since.

Wasn’t Gallant supposed to be that guy who turned us into a hard nosed, forechecking force?

None of this matters if the FO doesn’t figure out what they want to be.

And fire the f***ing player development office. The entire thing. Top to bottom. Start over.

I don’t even like Gallant particularly and I think he lost the room, but this roster has been shitty and made dumber in his tenure. It’s GM Connect type shit with this team.

Reactions: Riche16

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I f***ing care

I don't want a would-be-anywhere-else criminal who openly facilitated sexual assault of his own players anywhere near my f***ing organization and I can't believe this is a real conversation.
Seriously everyone begging for a rape apologist who isn’t even that good of a coach is sickening. When’s the last time he won anything?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I can't even get too worked up about whether he is fired or not. The team has bigger problems than head coach. We've seen the head coach used as a scapegoat before in this league, oldest play in the book for front offices looking to pin the blame on someone else. We just saw a 65-win team and the defending Stanley Cup champions lose in the first round. It's tough to advance in the playoffs in this league.

Reactions: Filip Chytil

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Don't want to derail the thread but I think there will be a market for Panarin. Just depends if Drury can swallow the pill of trading a player like him for what will likely amount to a whole lot of "meh" and "maybe someday." A Gaborik to CBJ redux is about as good as we could hope for.

I have my issues with the way the team plays the game and I put that largely on Gallant. What I can't do is expect another coach to motivate a bunch of grown-ass men to rise to the occasion. Especially after I've seen this same issue over and over again with this organization for most of my 30ish years as a fan.

Even if Gallant was comatose behind the bench, this team should've been able to win this series on talent alone. Yet these supposedly elite skill players couldn't do f*** all with the opportunities they were given. They were supposed to feast on the power play and went 0/8 in their first two games at home with a chance to put their foot on the Devils neck.

A new coach is needed simply because Gallant isn't a good one and never has been. That should've been obvious to the Rangers before yet here we are.
Totally agree... especially about the PP

We can say the Devils adjusted in games 3 & 4 (and obv game 7)

But the coach isn't on the ice

Bread
Zbad
Kane
Fox
Kreider

With Tank ready to come in

They couldn't score 1 PP goal in those games & THAT was supposed to be our MAIN weapon because we're absolute ASS 5x5

JMan74

Jun 27, 2019
Yes I do think it played a big role. System directly impacts player confidence and subsequently their performances as well. A lot of their stronger play was not 5v5 but on the power play. They often got shut down vs teams that played high quality defense as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad