News Article: Georgiev requests trade

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
This. No one could've known what would happen w Hank and heart surgery... but the easy play was to move Geo and run a tandem of Hank and Shesty.

Hank finishes his career as a NYR, Shesty learns from the best, Geo gets his shot somewhere, we get any asset and everyone goes home happy.
No, because Hank is not happy in that scenario. He wanted a chance to compete for the cup, not serve as a backup on a team without post season aspiration. The guy earned the right to choose his path and I'm glad the Rangers accommodated him.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
He was Mike Green serviceable

Fox probably would've supplanted him as the main guy on the first unit anyway. Without the PP production the guy is essentially worse than useless

Also, there's no telling that he would've maintained the production. He was absolutely abysmal in all aspects (including offensively) before we decided we wanted nothing to do with him

Reactions: Thirty One

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Is this because he thinks he should be a #1 or is it possible he felt some Tony D stuff last season even after Tony D was banished?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is this because he thinks he should be a #1 or is it possible he felt some Tony D stuff last season even after Tony D was banished?
He probably just wants to play more. The DeAngelo issues were widespread and not just Georgiev. If it were just Georgiev, they would have gotten rid of Georgiev instead. DeAngelo is kind of good at hockey.

Or at the very least, he just wants a chance to win some playing time. Shestyorkin is an elite goalie. Georgiev is a dead man walking here.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Seems like everyone wants no-trade clauses, but also demands to be traded if their team goes into a rebuild or they get surpassed in the lineup.

The Rangers will trade Georgiev because they generally honor these requests. But the team is absolutely better with Georgiev than Kinkaid.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
He's not consistent enough to be a starter but I guess he's gonna have to run around the league a bit to figure that out.

Glad we are ridding ourselves of an unpopular player I guess.
Like 96% goalies. And no, he was pretty well-liked in the locker room. DeAngelo was only at parties.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
It's so easy to draft a back up or find one in FA for less than Geo makes. If you draft a goalie in the 4-7 rounds every year, one of them eventually becomes a backup. Why would any GM offer even a 3rd rounder for that? The dream of potential might have been around 2-3 years ago, but we were holding out for a dumb 1st rounder then and this is what we're left with now. A reliable starter is much more difficult to find and has some value but you usually hang on to those. We're not getting a 2nd rounder for Geo, lucky to get a 3rd at this point.

I still see Rangers fans on here saying they'll settle for a 2nd, talk about overvaluing our own assets.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23124

Though in fairness, we often forget that he's actually slightly younger than Shesty. These days you often see goalies hit their stride in their late 20s so it's not out of the question that Georgiev becomes the better goalie, though I do agree it's very unlikely. Shesterkin is the much, much better bet at this point.

Kind of reminds me of the oddity that Dan Blackburn is younger than Hank.
Seems like Blackburn was younger than everyone!!!

Regarding Georgy, his status here was always in limbo....he was never really in contention for the #1 spot; nor was he really considered a backup.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad