News Article: Georgiev requests trade

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Good. Never really liked him and I don’t think anyone on the team really likes him much either. I’ll take a 3rd+replacement backup or a good depth player. He can be a good backup or even a tandem starter like Mrazek/Raanta in his prime but never liked his personality

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
And you failed to mention Georgiev’s trade value in your reply. So what?

i’m not the reliving the Hank soap opera which came full circle immediately like Eli Manning did. He was finished and the Rangers wanted to remain young. Now the kid wants out, who cares? Hank waited to be bought out to move elsewhere and sit in the ridiculous 3 man rotation around him rather than move on earlier. Neither was going to bring back much in a trade. It was a question of relieving the Rangers of Hanks dollars b/c this is a rebuild.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
i’m not the reliving the Hank soap opera which came full circle immediately like Eli Manning did. He was finished and the Rangers wanted to remain young. Now the kid wants out, who cares? Hank waited to be bought out to move elsewhere and sit in the ridiculous 3 man rotation around him rather than move on earlier. Neither was going to bring back much in a trade. It was a question of relieving the Rangers of Hanks dollars b/c this is a rebuild.
And Hank reportedly was very uncomfortable with playing second fiddle in New York over a full season.

Reactions: NYRangers16

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

I’m talking about Georgiev’s value being in the toilet and the Rangers pissing away another asset (a la DeAngelo). Whatever they would’ve gotten had they seriously decided to over a year ago is certainly a lot more than they’re going to get now. Time now shows that they made the wrong move, as predicted.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I’m talking about Georgiev’s value being in the toilet and the Rangers pissing away another asset (a la DeAngelo). Whatever they would’ve gotten had they seriously decided to over a year ago is certainly a lot more than they’re going to get now. Time now shows that they made the wrong move, as predicted.

his value was never that high to begin with and Hank was done. TDA was a different story. A story in which i think is part of several botches by the last regime.

Reactions: egelband

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Nobody wants him. If they did they would
Have traded him by now. He was terrible last year and is overpaid.

Reactions: romba

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
raw stats on Georgiev
  • 30th in GAA at 2.71
    • comparables were Iilya Samsonov, Vitek Vanecek, Thomas Griess, Adin Hill, Tristan Jarry
  • 34th-T in SV% at .905
    • comparables were Khubodin, Halak, Bobrovsky, Reimer, Markstrom, Gibson
  • 49th-T in wins at 8
    • comparables were Greiss, Holtby, Swayman, Merzlikins
  • games played - 19

He's a good backup. Borderline basement level starter. Some teams would arguably be better with him. Possible destinations
  • Arizona - they traded all their goalies. All they have left is Hutton. Georgiev could challenge him.
  • Buffalo - they just signed Aaron Dell to a 1 year 750k contract to backup Anderson so Georgiev would be an improvement there
  • Calgary - backup to Markstrom
  • Ottawa - I feel like Georgiev could challenge Matt Murray for starter. Forsberg for back up.
  • St. Louis - backup to Binnington
  • Winnepeg - back up to Hellebuyck

So potential starting in ARI, BUF, OTT
Backup in CAL, STL, WPG

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Rangers buying out Henrik Lundqvist in bittersweet end of an era

"Bringing back the icon to be a backup for this coming season was never a serious option for either party. It would be one thing for Lundqvist to back up somewhere else, quite another for him to be relegated to that assignment here."
The heart setback & everything may change that. I'm sure he'd like a proper sendoff too rather than having his last game as a Ranger in an empty bubble in Edmonton

Reactions: egelband

Deleted member 23124

I like Georgiev a lot, completely understand his desire to go somewhere else where he has a better shot of competing for a 1/1A spot. Hope he succeeds, last season was a step back for him but it seems to be the norm these days for goalies to oscillate between good years and bad years.
Agreed....don't think there was really any chance for him to grab the top spot....everyone knew he was only a stopgap between Henrik and Shesty.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Been saying since last year that he should’ve been moved, Lundqvist playing to end of contract, etc…

Now we’ve got another year of Lundqvist’s buyout on the books and Georgiev’s value in the toilet with no leverage since he requested a trade. Another asset’s value run into the ground
This. No one could've known what would happen w Hank and heart surgery... but the easy play was to move Geo and run a tandem of Hank and Shesty.

Hank finishes his career as a NYR, Shesty learns from the best, Geo gets his shot somewhere, we get any asset and everyone goes home happy.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Been saying since last year that he should’ve been moved, Lundqvist playing to end of contract, etc…

Now we’ve got another year of Lundqvist’s buyout on the books and Georgiev’s value in the toilet with no leverage since he requested a trade. Another asset’s value run into the ground
Backup goalies have no value to begin with.

Reactions: romba

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Agreed....don't think there was really any chance for him to grab the top spot....everyone knew he was only a stopgap between Henrik and Shesty.
Though in fairness, we often forget that he's actually slightly younger than Shesty. These days you often see goalies hit their stride in their late 20s so it's not out of the question that Georgiev becomes the better goalie, though I do agree it's very unlikely. Shesterkin is the much, much better bet at this point.

Kind of reminds me of the oddity that Dan Blackburn is younger than Hank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad