Confirmed with Link: George McPhee Hired as General Manager.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Ross Mahoney (current assistant GM in DC) was the director of amateur scouting under McPhee...drafting turned around for the Caps under his tenure. I'd would expect he'd target some of the guys under Mahoney now for higher positions.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They need to get a good European scout/'s for sure. Swedes, Finns, and Russians are making noise lately.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Because he made one of the worst trades of the salary cap era, trading Filip Forsberg for Martin ****ing Erat. Also, did nothing to address obvious holes in the Caps top 4 defensively during their window with Boudreau.

On the plus side, David Poile will be very happy to help your team in future trading situations... :naughty::naughty::naughty:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Apparently Craven has had guys all over Europe for the last year. They're going to hit the ground running.
Awesome.

Well he's not my first choice (apparently I was damn close) but having an experienced NHL GM behind the helm makes this feel all the more real. Very exciting stuff. Even if I have no idea who they are I hope we get updates on scout hires and other staff.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
fine with the choice. Cup winner - no. But has experience at building a great team in Washington. Lets face it, playoffs and the Cup are far away...give the reins to a guy who is known among the other GM's, has respect in the NHL and will not screw this team over.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
fine with the choice. Cup winner - no. But has experience at building a great team in Washington. Lets face it, playoffs and the Cup are far away...give the reins to a guy who is known among the other GM's, has respect in the NHL and will not screw this team over.

We'll see. They're going to be pushing for playoff berths and success really quickly. Hopefully McPhee and not only build a good foundation, but get that core to the playoffs in the first few years.

I think the cup expectation has moved back to year 8 from what I've heard, but there's going to be an expectation of winning coming from the top.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We'll see. They're going to be pushing for playoff berths and success really quickly. Hopefully McPhee and not only build a good foundation, but get that core to the playoffs in the first few years.

I think the cup expectation has moved back to year 8 from what I've heard, but there's going to be an expectation of winning coming from the top.

I definitely heard someone in the audience asking about the 8 year window to McPhee in reference to that being Foley's expectation.

My only concern regarding this win now attitude is that I fear it may lead to some reckless and shortsighted moves that may hurt the franchise.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I definitely heard someone in the audience asking about the 8 year window to McPhee in reference to that being Foley's expectation.

My only concern regarding this win now attitude is that I fear it may lead to some reckless and shortsighted moves that may hurt the franchise.

I'm guessing there's going to be some of that. I think going all out for wins early isn't necessarily a bad thing. We're due some cruddy expansion years just being an expansion, ours just might come seven years from now.:laugh:

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
George said on Primetime Sports that he wants to hire 2-3 scouts in the next week so that they have people to do amateur scouting.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Everyone on this thread knows more about George McPhee than I.

That said, inheriting a team, firing coaching staff, making trades of established players, and working with predecessors' mistakes and salary cap is one thing.

Starting a new franchise is another thing.

During his interview heard on NHLNetwork, McPhee seemed aware of the unique situation of a new team. Owner Bill Foley seems to be willing to defer to McPhee on hockey decisions.

McPhee mentioned Pittsburgh's speed, but also the need of a good supporting AHL team as shown by Pittsburgh. "Attack hockey" seems to be a key.

Murray Craven, former NHLer and now a Montana rancher like Foley, was mentioned. Possible president? Coach?
Foley mentioned the possibility of an AHL affiliate in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The possible team name was also discussed. Problems of trademark were noted. Also, a gambling name will be avoided.

Woow.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Everyone on this thread knows more about George McPhee than I.

That said, inheriting a team, firing coaching staff, making trades of established players, and working with predecessors' mistakes and salary cap is one thing.

Starting a new franchise is another thing.

During his interview with NHLNetwork, McPhee seemed aware of the unique situation of a new team. Owner Bill Foley seems to be willing to defer to McPhee on hockey decisions.

McPhee mentioned Pittsburgh's speed, but also the need of a good supporting AHL team as shown by Pittsburgh. "Attack hockey" seems to be a key.

Murray Craven, former NHLer and now a Montana rancher like Foley, was mentioned. Possible president? Coach?
Foley mentioned the possibility of an AHL affiliate in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The team name was also mentioned. Problems of trademark were noted. Also, a gambling name will be avoided.

Woow.

Idk about all that. Maybe Assistant GM or adviser or something like that.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oilers trade Graham McPhee to Las Vegas for Immunity to the Expansion Draft. Deal? :naughty::sarcasm:

Congrats Las Vegas. Glad they got a team. Now gives me a VERY good excuse to go to Vegas :handclap:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oilers trade Graham McPhee to Las Vegas for Immunity to the Expansion Draft. Deal? :naughty::sarcasm:

Congrats Las Vegas. Glad they got a team. Now gives me a VERY good excuse to go to Vegas :handclap:

tumblr_n8cx6xzfIq1qeo73ro1_500.gif

No immunity for you!

Hope you enjoy yourself when you come down mate :yo:-

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Knowing Don Maloney was the other option hurts. Take him on as an advisor/assistant GM please McPhee. For the love of your new fan base, don't let him go.

Would hire Maloney as VP and GM. Its a management team nowadays anyway.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Would hire Maloney as VP and GM. Its a management team nowadays anyway.

I'm really hoping Las Vegas can do what Toronto has done. Put some solid foundation with management that has a clue.

JA

George McPhee's teams have always had one star player with high marketability. As an assistant in Vancouver, he had Pavel Bure. In Washington, he had Peter Bondra, Jaromir Jagr, and then Alex Ovechkin.

Expect George to try to acquire a star forward by some means. He'll make sure that the team has a very marketable player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Longtime Caps fan, new Las Vegas fan. I was a big critic of GMGM at the end. He was in too deep, lost perspective and exacerbate it all by letting some really talented guys walk for nothing and making the horrible trade that won't be named.

He's a savvy businessman, a lawyer, an ex-player, he's put in his time under some good hockey men. As long as LV ownership commits to standing up a solid scouting staff/organization like McPhee was able to assemble in DC, I suspect within 5 years max, he's got LV fighting for a playoff spot. Maybe as early as 3 if he gets lucky with a draft selection or two.

LV could do a lot worse IMO. Give him a chance. I think first thing at the draft you'll see some savvy show through with his moves.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Watch Nashville play to understand what an idiot McPhee is. Like anyone with the slightest bit of hockey knowledge and decent scouts he will take advantage of your high draft picks. He will never build you into a legitimate contender and God help you when he gets into panic mode. Hope your owner stops him before it's too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad