Confirmed with Link: George McPhee Hired as General Manager.

OldSchoolSabreFan

Old School Cool
Jul 5, 2014
Absolutely did not want McPhee. ****
Over/under the years he is fired?

Same here.....I am not a fan of the recycled GM/coach carousel but Mongo not billioniare... only fan.

In Washington, GMGM had a normal extended stint paralleling Darcy Regier.
Tweaking the core left him by David Poile. (1998-2001)
Successfully tanking for Ovechkin in 2004 and the Boudreau years. (2007-2012)
GMGM is responsible for most of the remaining core. (Brian MacLellan is tweaking the what GMGM built.)

He knows how to manage a rebuild with a generational talent available...now we see how he manages a supposedly competitively designed expansion team.

The best you can hope for is the 95-96 Florida Panthers and the worst that could happen would be the 92-93 Cow Palace Sharks.

Seeing that it's Day 0....... I'll take the over.

You'll know it is in the ditch when he reaches that desperation point making stupid trades and tossing goalies under the bus.

BTDT

I am far more interested in seeing the hockey ops & scouting staff.

Last edited:

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Not a fan of it, so it'll be a bit of a long haul, but he has the option to pick a team from scratch. Hopefully he gets some solid scouts to start things up.

OldSchoolSabreFan

Old School Cool
Jul 5, 2014
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
In all seriousness, hopefully he works out.

Could be worse:

VAN.jpg

It wasn’t even close. Dead last in five of six categories and second last in the other. The Jim Benning era has been the highest form of entertainment for every fanbase outside of Vancouver and an occasional gift giving event for some teams. The team is lost, with zero direction. They’re one of the league’s worst teams and somehow find themselves close to the salary cap. They’ve made a habit of losing every trade they’ve made recently. They’ve signed questionable deals meant to make them competitive when it’s clear to just about everyone else they’re anything but. There is simply no reason to be confident in what the Vancouver Canucks are doing right now.
Source: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-much-confidence-does-each-nhl-fan-base-have-in-their-front-office-a-ranking-of-all-30-teams/

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There are worse options out there I suppose.

I think this is the standard response to any GM hire. It's really important because we're going from the ground up, but there really isn't a huge splash hire that could have been made.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Interesting. GMGM was responsible for Building a great team in Washington, although the Forsberg/Erat was terrible.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Tell me why I should hate McPhee

Not really the young exciting choice. Bummer.

This really disappoints me.

I'm disturbed by how quickly this happened for you. :laugh:

Seriously, if there's 100 candidates out there, McPhee is a top 5 choice. There's better choices out there, but once you get into reality and realize we're not stealing a GM with a job worth keeping and we're not getting Tallon it looks very solid.

Could have gone the young assistant route, but that's dangerous in its own right and not overly exciting either.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
Originally Posted by Hivemind

McPhee will be great for them. People who evaluate his career based on drafting Ovechkin or the Erat trade are missing the big picture. He made the bold move to rebuild a veteran team that wasn't getting any better, and made a series of shrewd trades to create a rapid and successful rebuild in Washington. It was a lot more than simply the Ovechkin pick. He brought in a series of A+ prospects and additional draft picks. John Carlson, Mike Green, Semyon Varlamov, Tomas Fleischmann, and Brooks Laich were all brought into the franchise via trade. During his decade managing the team in the salary cap era, he only really signed two real bad contracts (Brooks Laich and Michael Nylander). Until his last couple years, he generally "won" almost every trade or negotiation he was part of.

He might not be the right candidate to put the finishing touches on a roster or get it over the hump, but he's a great GM to build a franchise from the ground up. Solid hire for Vegas

Congrats LV fans! It definitely seems more real the Vegas is an NHL team with hirings of GM and eventually HC.

From the outside prospective I agree with the Hivemind quote that migrated over to this thread from the caps board. McPhee is a great choice for LV to build the team from the ground up. He's a building GM and likely not a SCF finishing GM, but that's 5-10 years down the road if built right. Also it's very possible McPhee learned from his past mistakes with Washington. Every GM makes a bad trade or two so I wouldn't worry too much about the Erat mess, in general his trades were good for the Caps. Also during his time with the Caps, they build a solid AHL development model with the AHL's Hersey Bears. Both the AHL affiliate and Caps had great success during McPhee's years.

He's a great GM at working with scouts to draft well, LV needs a good few drafts to build a deep prospect pool. McPhee is a BGSU grad and his son plays college hockey so he knows his way around the college game where it will be key for LV to find the undrafted prospects playing college puck.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I would have gone with Maloney, but then again, I'll always remember McPhee as the guy who really didn't do much to help the Caps in their window while he was at the helm and traded Forsberg for Erat.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I would have gone with Maloney, but then again, I'll always remember McPhee as the guy who really didn't do much to help the Caps in their window while he was at the helm and traded Forsberg for Erat.

If we're going retread, I'm glad we didn't go Arizona retread.

Let him land somewhere else for a while to get the Coyote stink off of him and he'll wind up a GM again.

/fakerivalry :naughty:

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Hilariously bad hire! Yet another re-tread who's at least a decade past his expiration date. New fans: you should get used to mediocrities inexplicably popping up in important positions with new teams no matter how badly or how many times they've failed. It is the way of front offices in the NHL.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Interesting. GMGM was responsible for Building a great team in Washington, although the Forsberg/Erat was terrible.

he was? the caps got great through the draft and that wasant even one of his specialties. ross mahoney did the draft for him and thats where the caps got all their players

Brew

Sep 22, 2007
If we're going retread, I'm glad we didn't go Arizona retread.

Let him land somewhere else for a while to get the Coyote stink off of him and he'll wind up a GM again.

/fakerivalry :naughty:

Coyotes have enough issues rivalry-wise (California, Winnipeg, Dallas). Las Vegas must either wait for Seattle or aim for Avalanche or LA. LA would be fun for the "Who is more fun city".

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Coyotes have enough issues rivalry-wise (California, Winnipeg, Dallas). Las Vegas must either wait for Seattle or aim for Avalanche or LA. LA would be fun for the "Who is more fun city".

This desert team thing is going to happen whether we like it or not. You just know that's going to be the marketing angle every time we meet.

I figure it's best to accept it now.

Jun 6, 2016
I'm disturbed by how quickly this happened for you. :laugh:

Seriously, if there's 100 candidates out there, McPhee is a top 5 choice. There's better choices out there, but once you get into reality and realize we're not stealing a GM with a job worth keeping and we're not getting Tallon it looks very solid.

Could have gone the young assistant route, but that's dangerous in its own right and not overly exciting either.

I'll be honest, out of the 4 major sports I know just about nothing about GMs outside of Flyers stuff like I do the other 3 sports. I could name off most and their tendencies. That's why I asked the question why I should hate this move and most of the posts seemed to reflect an unpopular opinion, just bummed me out, I'd rather have people excited and kind of build steam from that.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'll be honest, out of the 4 major sports I know just about nothing about GMs outside of Flyers stuff like I do the other 3 sports. I could name off most and their tendencies. That's why I asked the question why I should hate this move and most of the posts seemed to reflect an unpopular opinion, just bummed me out, I'd rather have people excited and kind of build steam from that.

We'll be fine. GMs are boring hires and when you're looking for negative, you'll get it.

You've got to realize that we could have hired Wayne Gretzky and it would have been universally panned, and that dude is Wayne Gretzky. He'd have been a terrible move, but it's the biggest splash we could have made. Just an example.

Young dude? Who cares? No experience.
Maloney? Got fired a couple months ago.
Tallon? Pretty much being handed his hat in Florida.

We need things to talk about, so we talk about these things. However, there isn't a single person I can think of that would have made anyone excited. It's a GM.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Lets be positive guys.

He gets a blank canvas. Despite what people say, he built a pretty strong machine in Washington. Secondly, The Islanders are now a very strong unit.

I'm happy. He gets this little Aussie's tick of approval :)

koalabear9301

Cero Miedo
May 9, 2016
Baltimore
LV fans should be happy. McPhee isn't gonna help you guys win a Cup immediately or anything, but looking at his track record in DC, he should help build a strong, perennial playoff team. Especially if he learned from the mistakes made in DC, i.e, trading Forsberg for Erat and Latta, trading Eakin for Ribeiro, getting great production out of Ribeiro, and then not re-signing him, etc. When you add the good he did in DC, he was able to net us:

-Alex Ovechkin
-Braden Holtby
-Nick Backstrom
-John Carlson
-Karl Alzner
-Evgeny Kuznetsov
-Andre Burakovsky

Those are basically the core players of this franchise. So while he did make some colossal mistakes that overshadow what he did here (Ross Mahoney does deserve a lot of credit as well), LV fans should be happy about this as long as they don't keep him around too long.

Brew

Sep 22, 2007
This desert team thing is going to happen whether we like it or not. You just know that's going to be the marketing angle every time we meet.

I figure it's best to accept it now.

We can call it... The Big Hurt in the Desert (like Rumble in the Jungle)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad