OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Started up Wartales a few days ago and man im really really enjoying this game so far.

Its a medieval, open world, turn based, RPG.

Got about 20 hours into PZ and got over it. Thinking i will wait for build 42 to come out to give it another go. Really cool game and probably one of the most brutal survival games ive played.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
So, I started playing an RPG called Moonring. I learned about it through someone I watch on YouTube occasionally, and didn't expect much from it, partially because it's super old-school looking, and partially because it's free (no microtransactions, DLC, or anything, just straight up free). When asked why it's free, the dev said...
Life is hard, Covid sucked, everyone’s poor and stressed, I don’t need the $300 this would make me: I’d rather take the goodwill

I'm about 7 hours in, and I have to say that this game is really good! It's the work of a single man (one of the devs who created Fable) over 4 years. It feels a lot like Ultima, but modernized so you don't have to note everything down and draw maps yourself.

Cons:
- The note system is unorganized and quickly becomes cluttered
- Things like status effects aren't explained until after you've suffered them
- The effect of stats and your build aren't explained fully

Pros:
- Fun gameplay and combat
- Stylish pixel graphics
- Exploration gets rewarded
- Good story writing, though a bit McGuffin heavy.
- Systems that are new to me, but intuitive due to their simple to use nature
- Interesting world and lore

Grey area:
- The progression system is not level-based, it's equipment based and "devotion" based (each of the 5 gods are tied to an ability score, and as you do things that please them, your score in their associated ability go up)
- Choices you make are final, including your build... makes choices matter, but mistakes and strokes of genius are equally permanent.
- Small amount of people who have played it means you go through the game blind, no guides

Mooring came out in 2023, the same year as Baldur's Gate 3, and I think it's in the running as the best game I've played from 2023. This game is so small there are only around 20-30 people playing at any given moment according to Steambase, and the game deserves a larger following so I'm posting about it here.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Started Dragons Dogma 2 last night after being on the fence since it's release as to whether not I wanted to buy it. Pulled the trigger based largely on this article for some reason

Way too early to form any sort of opinion at this point, still pretty much on the fence lol. It's an odd game for sure.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Started Dragons Dogma 2 last night after being on the fence since it's release as to whether not I wanted to buy it. Pulled the trigger based largely on this article for some reason

Way too early to form any sort of opinion at this point, still pretty much on the fence lol. It's an odd game for sure.
Ive watched a pretty good amount of it and i think its a game i will wait let it marinate for a bit then pick it up once its on sale.

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Forspoken is around $25 now. I figured that was a decent price point to give the game a chance. I don't remember the specifics on reviews on it when it was released, just they were bad.

I'm a few hours in, so I think just getting into the meat and potatoes of the game (wandering around the town with people). The combat system seems pretty basic 3rd person shoot, dodge, and kite system. There seems to be a lot of exploring that can be done. The parkour (more of a double jump thing than bouncing off things) system is neat, but might end up annoying after a lot of use. The world and monster graphics are okay, but nothing special. The people graphics/models are what is killing me, they look like something that belongs in a game made 10 years ago.

Overall this seems like it could have been a AAA game if it was released before HDZ or RDR2 (so early/mid PS4 lifecycle).

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Forspoken is around $25 now. I figured that was a decent price point to give the game a chance. I don't remember the specifics on reviews on it when it was released, just they were bad.

I'm a few hours in, so I think just getting into the meat and potatoes of the game (wandering around the town with people). The combat system seems pretty basic 3rd person shoot, dodge, and kite system. There seems to be a lot of exploring that can be done. The parkour (more of a double jump thing than bouncing off things) system is neat, but might end up annoying after a lot of use. The world and monster graphics are okay, but nothing special. The people graphics/models are what is killing me, they look like something that belongs in a game made 10 years ago.

Overall this seems like it could have been a AAA game if it was released before HDZ or RDR2 (so early/mid PS4 lifecycle).
Sadly, this is in line with what I've heard about it. It sounds like a real missed opportunity to have a strong protagonist overcoming real-world trauma. It would have combined a truly meaningful story with one of my favorite genres, that being stories about people from the modern day getting sucked into fantasy worlds or zapped back in time 1000 years.

An older, much sillier game called Nox is of this genre, and I loved that game. I'll have to pick it back up again some day. It really lacked any profound sense of meaning, but it's a fun romp through a fantasy world.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Sadly, this is in line with what I've heard about it. It sounds like a real missed opportunity to have a strong protagonist overcoming real-world trauma. It would have combined a truly meaningful story with one of my favorite genres, that being stories about people from the modern day getting sucked into fantasy worlds or zapped back in time 1000 years.

An older, much sillier game called Nox is of this genre, and I loved that game. I'll have to pick it back up again some day. It really lacked any profound sense of meaning, but it's a fun romp through a fantasy world.

The game itself is fine if you ignore all the presale hype, ps5 exclusive, etc. stuff; and just take as is. Lots of missed opportunities to be a much better product, for sure.

The $25 is a nice price point for it for me, I'm happy with game that it is for that price. I would have been pissed to pay the $70 release price for the game.

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I picked up P5T (Persona 5 tactica) on clearance ($20) at Walmart. It's a game I'll either really like or really dislike, so I've been holding off until it hit a price I'm willing to risk the money on.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Dragons Dogma 2 is a banger, now that ive had some time with it. Definitely a game that isn't for everyone though. Speaking of a game that isn't for everyone, I played the entirety of the Unicorn Overlord demo (wicked dumb name) and it was really fun until this tactical RPG actually started to become a TACTICAL RPG. I'm not a fan of the genre, too much thinking involved for a video game, but it almost got its hooks in me. If you like this type of game probably an easy buy for ya.

I picked up P5T (Persona 5 tactica) on clearance ($20) at Walmart. It's a game I'll either really like or really dislike, so I've been holding off until it hit a price I'm willing to risk the money on.
Atlus has really milked the ever loving shit out of P5.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dragons Dogma 2 is a banger, now that ive had some time with it. Definitely a game that isn't for everyone though. Speaking of a game that isn't for everyone, I played the entirety of the Unicorn Overlord demo (wicked dumb name) and it was really fun until this tactical RPG actually started to become a TACTICAL RPG. I'm not a fan of the genre, too much thinking involved for a video game, but it almost got its hooks in me. If you like this type of game probably an easy buy for ya.

I really like tactics games. I was waiting for either P5T or Tactics Ogre to drop to a price I was willing to pay.

I really enjoyed P5, but it's not a game I would have picked up for myself. I only played it because the kid was stuck pretty early in the game and she asked for help. It probably helps that this was during the COVID lockdown so there wasn't much else to do other than get lost in a video game. Mindlessly grinding in the subway passed a lot of hours for me.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I really like tactics games. I was waiting for either P5T or Tactics Ogre to drop to a price I was willing to pay.

I really enjoyed P5, but it's not a game I would have picked up for myself. I only played it because the kid was stuck pretty early in the game and she asked for help. It probably helps that this was during the COVID lockdown so there wasn't much else to do other than get lost in a video game. Mindlessly grinding in the subway passed a lot of hours for me.
I really tried to force myself into liking Tactics Ogre, but it's not for me. I totally get the appeal and it has a good story, but not my jam I guess. I liked P5 as well... until it switched it up with the social (and timed, was there a timed section of thr game? I think so) section.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

You should check out the Unicorn Overlord demo. If you like tactics games you'd probably like it. It's weird in that you don't do anything with combat, you set conditions and scenarios and then combat plays out automatically based on you strategy.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I really tried to force myself into liking Tactics Ogre, but it's not for me. I totally get the appeal and it has a good story, but not my jam I guess. I liked P5 as well... until it switched it up with the social (and timed, was there a timed section of thr game? I think so) section.

I only ever played the base P5 game, so I don't know about any of the extra stuff they may have added. I did think about upgrading to the Royal edition, but it didn't seem worth it to me after I had already beat the game. I might still do that if I decide to play the game again when I'm bored with my other stuff.

There was a social aspect (hang out) with the other main characters in the afternoons and progress those story lines. Is that what you mean?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I finished playing Symphony of War: the Nephilim Saga not too long ago, and was recommended Unicorn Overlord. I'd be totally on board with that, except that Vanillaware will never port it to PC, and I will never port myself back to consoles. Well, not anytime soon, anyway. Sometimes exclusivity agreements make me sad.

I'm glad you're enjoying DD2. I might pick that up in ~1 year. For most games that I'm not super hyped about, I find it's best to let it marinate and get patched up before purchase.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I finished playing Symphony of War: the Nephilim Saga not too long ago, and was recommended Unicorn Overlord. I'd be totally on board with that, except that Vanillaware will never port it to PC, and I will never port myself back to consoles. Well, not anytime soon, anyway. Sometimes exclusivity agreements make me sad.

I'm glad you're enjoying DD2. I might pick that up in ~1 year. For most games that I'm not super hyped about, I find it's best to let it marinate and get patched up before purchase.
Or even games that you are the hyped about. A lot of AAA titles drop prematurely with a gluttony of bugs, etc.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
And StarField, and... and... and...
It's true of a lot of games, honestly, but I saw the red flags with Starfield from a ways off. Those being Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76. They fooled me twice due to my nostalgia, but they managed to kill that nostalgia off before I got suckered in any further. Same goes for BioWare. I once would have pre-ordered any game either of these studios came out with, but now I'll be surprised if I buy anything either comes out with, even after a wait.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Got into one of those moods today. Wanted to play a classic game. Spent a few hours on Shining Force from back in the Sega Genesis days. Still a fun game over 30 years later!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Does anyone play deckbuilder games? They are either hit or miss for me, with no middle ground.

humble bundle I'm considering this one but only "Gordian Quest" stands out to me as interesting.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Welp. Dragons dogma 2 has lost its sheen and become, largely, a giant pain in the ass. The reviews that say it doesn't respect your time are spot on. Maybe it'll be a sleeper and become one of my favorite games in a few years after a couple aborted playthroughs like RDR2 was for me. The bones are there, but I'm just not feeling it right now. But, because I'm very much obsessed with Shogun at the moment, I've started another playthrough of Ghost of Tsushima. What a fantastic game. The facial animations have definitely started to show their age, but otherwise it's exactly as I remember. It's really stunning. Great story, beautiful world, great acting (with both Japanese and English dub), and extremely fun combat. I'm a sucker when I can play an action RPG like this and approach combat methodically as opposed to just fast twitch dodging... I'm looking at you Team Ninja.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Aaaand now I know that I need a dark comedy/fantasy dancing simulator RPG in my life.

Bard/wizard with 6th level spells.

Round 1:
-Action (spell) Mass Suggestion "It's no fun to dance alone, so start dancing when you see an ally dance"
-move: closer and hide (bonus action)

Round 2:
-Action (spell): Irresistible Dance on the enemy the others can all see.
-Bonus action (cantrip): Choice of Mage Hand and give the "BBG" the finger or Prestidigitation and add some music or light effects to go with the dancers.
-move: try not to fall over laughing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad