Status
Not open for further replies.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've never understood the weight limit for heavyweights in MMA organizations. It just puts a handicap for physical specimens that might be interested in ever participating in fighting sports.
Well, 265 is still a fairly high limit. I don't know if there's a lot of athlete out there with a natural weight that goes so far above that to where they just can't make it. You have a Bob Sapp or two of course but those guys have always been gimmicks, there for the occasional freak show fights essentially. Even a guy like Ngannou can make 265 fairly easy, unless he just goes crazy with the heavy lifting, which isn't good for a fighter anyway.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Well, 265 is still a fairly high limit. I don't know if there's a lot of athlete out there with a natural weight that goes so far above that to where they just can't make it. You have a Bob Sapp or two of course but those guys have always been gimmicks, there for the occasional freak show fights essentially. Even a guy like Ngannou can make 265 fairly easy, unless he just goes crazy with the heavy lifting, which isn't good for a fighter anyway.

But why have it at all if you'll never have any other higher division, it just doesn't make sense to me. Why would you limit it just for the sake of limiting it.

For example, I always wondered how bigfoot would have fared without having to cut so much weight.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
But why have it at all if you'll never have any other higher division, it just doesn't make sense to me. Why would you limit it just for the sake of limiting it.

For example, I always wondered how bigfoot would have fared without having to cut so much weight.
I think it's mostly to prevent extreme cases where there's a 40+ pounds difference between fighters. Things like that are taken much more seriously now. Back in the day it used to be like : 6 ft 11 Semmy Schilt versus 5ft9 Akira Shoji ? Sure, have fun .

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I think it's mostly to prevent extreme cases where there's a 40+ pounds difference between fighters. Things like that are taken much more seriously now. Back in the day it used to be like : 6 ft 11 Semmy Schilt versus 5ft9 Akira Shoji ? Sure, have fun .

Yeah I get what you're saying, but take boxing for example. The heavyweight division has had no weight limits for as long as the sports' been mainstream entertainment (100+ years), and height disparities have never been an issue.

I dunno, it just seems a bit funny how heavyweight champs in UFC are proclaimed the baddest man on the planet when they have to restrict others to be able to compete fairly. Guess it's just a pet peeve of mine.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario

You mean stop taking roids?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Both guys didn't really have a clear cut opponent in line so I guess they decided to kill two birds with one stone. Properly promoted, this could do pretty big business. DC can cut a money promo and Stipe can play the big guy laughing at the small guy ( eventhough DC was once a very good heavyweight)

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
There is just noone else in line good enough to challenge either of them, good move by the UFC. I can't f***ing wait to see this.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal

They weigh in at that weight but come the fight, they're all heavier.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
man, Bobby Green really did well to transition into a savvy vet. He used to be an Athlete-first with poor fighting fundamental fighter. Then he suddenly got less durable & slower, and somehow got some good fundamentals.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Was rumored for awhile. DC denied it, though. This is going to be a seriously one-sided fight.
On the one hand, Cormier was a very successful heavyweight earlier in his career and has beaten guys as big physically as Stipe in the past. On the other, Stipe is in his prime and has a complete game, with few major weaknesses to exploit. If this was early 30's DC I'd give him a legit chance but in 2018 I have to go Stipe all the way.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
man, Bobby Green really did well to transition into a savvy vet. He used to be an Athlete-first with poor fighting fundamental fighter. Then he suddenly got less durable & slower, and somehow got some good fundamentals.
Hard to think he's at 30+ fights now. I remember him being the potential next big thing in Strikeforce and having that great start in the UFC. He might still be something in that division .

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Dober must have super light hands cause he connected a ton all fight long and Camacho completely no sold it. Put some weight behind that left for god's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad