OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
You really need tip-top speed and reflexes to fight with a karate based style. Now that he's older, Machida just doesn't have the crispness on his kicks anymore nor the quickness to exploit the openings.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Brock though went to the UFC after his WWE debut though. Rousey does the opposite. You can't tell me those girls can actually beat her for real. My guess is there will be a lot of interference and cheating down against her in order for her to lose. Making her lose a one on one "fair and square"...not gonna happen.

It's such a weird situation. If they make Ronda demolish people it kind of gives the whole "Well, UFC fighters are more tough than our hard nosed, free for all wrestlers" a bit.

I don't think WWE is stupid enough to go full Goldberg with this but if they make fights competitive(with Ronda winning) I think it's best. It can't be a landslide, it would hurt their own brand.

It's different with Brock because he was a beast before he went to UFC so it was just like "yah, we knew".

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's such a weird situation. If they make Ronda demolish people it kind of gives the whole "Well, UFC fighters are more tough than our hard nosed, free for all wrestlers" a bit.

I don't think WWE is stupid enough to go full Goldberg with this but if they make fights competitive(with Ronda winning) I think it's best. It can't be a landslide, it would hurt their own brand.

It's different with Brock because he was a beast before he went to UFC so it was just like "yah, we knew".
Ronda has to lose. I think it would be pointless for her to win. I mean, everyone knows she can beat everyone of those girls in a flash. Not taking anything away from the other girls, they are athletes in my book, but as stuntgirls not professional fighters.
They need Ronda to lose otherwise it's too predictable and lame, but they can't actually make her lose fair and square one on one, so some type of interference or illegal move needs to happen. At least that is how I see it go down.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
a pro rassler vs a photograph/journalist. it's a fair fight, book it
It's about the closest we'll ever get to a fair fight for Punk ! Jackson trained in boxing and kickboxing so I'd still give him the edge in that one though:laugh: . Punk did survive about a minute longer versus Gall than he did now that I think about it, for what it's worth.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm not a Romero fan but I still hope he KOs Rockhold. What an arrogant prick.
I don't really know who I got in that fight honestly . Rockhold has a superb ground game but Romero is an Olympic level wrestler and hard as hell to get down and keep there. On their feet, Rockhold is a lot more polished and technical but Romero is all kinds of weird and hard to read, plus he's got those explosive flying knees that he can throw out of nowhere. Anything can happen.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I don't really know who I got in that fight honestly . Rockhold has a superb ground game but Romero is an Olympic level wrestler and hard as hell to get down and keep there. On their feet, Rockhold is a lot more polished and technical but Romero is all kinds of weird and hard to read, plus he's got those explosive flying knees that he can throw out of nowhere. Anything can happen.

At the same time, he got KO'd by Michael f***ing Bisping.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
In his defense, it was a bit of a lucky shot that caught him as he was backing away. He just never saw it coming.

Agree. But what transpired of that fight is he can underestimate opponents because he thinks he's the shit. And I mean, he's really good.

That said, I don't remember being impressed by his performance vs Branch. I don't remember why though so it's not a valid argument :laugh:

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I think Rockhold has a suspect chin. He doesn't get hit clean on the head a lot, but when he's been hit, he's certainly showed it. The kind of thing Romero will likely capitalize, especially since Rockhold's speed is pretty one-note

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I think Rockhold has a suspect chin. He doesn't get hit clean on the head a lot, but when he's been hit, he's certainly showed it. The kind of thing Romero will likely capitalize, especially since Rockhold's speed is pretty one-note
Well, he does have a very pretty face, it figures he doesn't like having it damaged:sarcasm:

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
we're seeing an influx of terrifying power grapplers with killer ground & pound. Usman, Volkanovski, Bektic, Gillespie... these are the guys everyone will duck.

the meta game in elite MMA in the last years has been the Striker with dedicated takedown defense and getups. the meta might be shifting to power ground game.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
we're seeing an influx of terrifying power grapplers with killer ground & pound. Usman, Volkanovski, Bektic, Gillespie... these are the guys everyone will duck.

the meta game in elite MMA in the last years has been the Striker with dedicated takedown defense and getups. the meta might be shifting to power ground game.

Don't forget Khabib ! His performance against Barboza was the best display of ground and pound I've seen since a young Fedor and he was arguably the best ever at this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad