OT: General UFC/MMA/boxing discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I guess Silva will regret goofing around in the first two rounds, he would have secured an easy decision if he didn't. That being said he almost floored Bisping with that front kick and a few other shots. I would have gone with the Brazilian for sure. It makes me miss the old Pride judging system, scoring by the round will sometimes give you a distorted image of a fight.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
That was actually the best Bisping I've ever seen in his career. The current is lot less erratic in his in&out movement and that prevented him to be KTFO'd. Bisping's chin is not bad, the problem was that the old him would get hit on his movement out of the pocket with zero balance. He didn't move for the sake of moving

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Bisping is a warrior.

It's so frustrating watching Anderson, it's almost as if he wants to lose.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
So, how bad does McGregor crush Diaz? Diaz is a nutcase and has a strong chin, but talent wise I don't think it's all that close. Could be a bloodbath.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
So, how bad does McGregor crush Diaz? Diaz is a nutcase and has a strong chin, but talent wise I don't think it's all that close. Could be a bloodbath.

You should probably take this discussion to the MMA thread ;) . In short, Diaz will look to trade which will make for a short but fun bout. As soon as McGregor lands that killer left hand of his it's done. Nate actually has an underrated ground game but the whole Compton bad boy ego thing will keep him from doing the smart move in taking Conor down .

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal

The biggest problem with this fight is Diaz accepting to fight on short notice. He basically has no chance. That being said Diaz can be dangerous to anyone. He and his brother have the best boxing in mma but the short notice? Not good... Not good for Diaz.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The biggest problem with this fight is Diaz accepting to fight on short notice. He basically has no chance. That being said Diaz can be dangerous to anyone. He and his brother have the best boxing in mma but the short notice? Not good... Not good for Diaz.

Anybody always has a puncher's chance, think Serra vs GSP, but Diaz really doesn't have much chance. Even if he had a year to train for it, McGregor is going to crush him.
The Diaz bros always try to intimidate their opponents with their antics, but that's not going to work with McGregor, he's crazier than they are. I didn't look at the whole press conference but McGregor made Diaz look like a ***** just with his trash talking. Diaz actually shut up...this was a first time seeing that for me.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

Nate is kinda that interesting fighter that if you're not forcing him to grapple, he's absolutely a dangerous boxer. He's, funny enough, the better technical boxer of Diaz brothers (Nick is a much better strategic fighter than Nate though) and has good striking defense (something that doesn't exist in Nick's arsenal). It's understated how unmotivated & injured Diaz was highly competitive with RDA for the first 3 minutes of their fight until RDA just decided to grapple.

Conor is not going to grapple. Not saying Conor loses this fight or doesn't get a KO, but the fight is competitive skill-wise

Last edited:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

Let's dispel the fact that Nick Diaz has the best boxing in MMA. He got outboxed by GSP.

I miss GSP :(

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Let's dispel the fact that Nick Diaz has the best boxing in MMA. He got outboxed by GSP.

I miss GSP :(

Nick's boxing was great as long as the other guy stayed in the middle and traded with him. He really had no answer for GSP's movement and angles. That's the great thing with GSP, he really developed every technical aspects of his all around game. Very heady fighter.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Call me insane, but I thought Nick was GSP's most competitive opponent before Hendricks. I know that Condit almost finished GSP, but GSP fairly easily dominated 98% of that fight. I thought GSP really struggled to find any confort zone and had to work uber hard in almost any position to the point he gassed in the 3rd round.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Call me insane, but I thought Nick was GSP's most competitive opponent before Hendricks. I know that Condit almost finished GSP, but GSP fairly easily dominated 98% of that fight. I thought GSP really struggled to find any confort zone and had to work uber hard in almost any position to the point he gassed in the 3rd round.

I'd have to watch that fight again, it's not all that fresh in my memory. I do remember GSP having Nick's back for a good while , spending a lot of energy looking for a finish but not getting anything. I don't remember Diaz being in any real danger in that fight at the very least and GSP mostly dictating the pace.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The one thing is the weight and reach difference. This could mitigate a lot of the difference in talent after thinking about it. I still think Diaz decides to stand and bang, which will result in a KO by Connor's left hand. But it could be a bit of a pain getting in there for him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You're insane..Diaz did nothing against GSP.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Real ***** ass move from Conor punching Diaz's hand like that.

Was more of a slap...that Diaz didn't see coming...and really, you're going to call Connor out on it?? Diaz can come in and put his arms up like he's about to fight with his hand pretty much touching Connor's face but that's okay?

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Was more of a slap...that Diaz didn't see coming...and really, you're going to call Connor out on it?? Diaz can come in and put his arms up like he's about to fight with his hand pretty much touching Connor's face but that's okay?

proxy.jpg

Yeah, "slap" :rolleyes:

It's square off, putting your hand up like that is nothing too out of the norm. It was a ***** move and shouldn't be defended.

Conor should be fined for the incident, real dumb thing to do three days before the fight.

NoComments

Feb 27, 2015
proxy.jpg

Yeah, "slap" :rolleyes:

It's square off, putting your hand up like that is nothing too out of the norm. It was a ***** move and shouldn't be defended.

Conor should be fined for the incident, real dumb thing to do three days before the fight.

what RDA did to Nate at the weigh-in was a slap. McG even changed stance before punching Nate's hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad