WC: General Talk '14 — Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Considering his role, Wirtanen was one of the players who had done what's asked of him, and he is a decent enough 4th line center for this level. Still, not a disastrous loss.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
At first, I was wondering why they didn't just move one of Salomäki/Savinainen/Pakarinen down the middle, but then realized that they'd only have 11 forwards for tonight's game with Wirtanen and Jormakka out and Haula not in town yet.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
In theory they could've still waited for Teemu/Vatanen and left Sallinen in the press box but it seems that the ones Erkka was really after we're already eliminated. Having 11 forwards in one game (especially with this roster) wouldn't have been a disaster. Haula will play tomorrow anyway and even with 13 forwards Erkka has been overusing Kontiola and Lehterä.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Erkka must realize that Teemu is a pipe dream and Vatanen's season doesn't necessarily end with the Ducks - Norfolk is still on the run.

I was waiting however that they'll add Korpikari and wait for Haula to have a full complement. Though that would leave 'em at 12 healthy forwards with Wirtanen and Jormakka out, and I guess they considered a lesser risk to potentially lose a d-man than losing a forward. 13+6 is better than 11+8.

Also, if they're in a real pinch, they can use Pakarinen as a d-man. The guy can play any position save for a goalie.

Finally, I'm guessing Erkka is considering tonight's game as well. We need the points, and Belarus is no pushover. He doesn't probably want to risk anything by playing with just 11 forwards.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
It's nice to hear many players wanted to come, although it's of course easy to say that when you know the team won't allow it. Poor Keränen, the only one who couldn't even halfway believably claim injury/mental fatigue and had to face the wrath.

I believe in a win today.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
It's nice to hear many players wanted to come, although it's of course easy to say that when you know the team won't allow it. Poor Keränen, the only one who couldn't even halfway believably claim injury/mental fatigue and had to face the wrath.

I believe in a win today.

I think you always need to consider who the statement's coming from. We all know the NT means a lot to some of our players so I am inclined to believe it if they say they wanted to come. I also know there are some players who really had little interest in going.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
With Latvia winning must win games vs White Russia and Switzerland.

Today the Finns must win anyway also if USA had won.

Supposing Finland wins against Kazakhstan they could lose against Switzerland but then they should beat USA. So they have to win 1 of the 2 games against USA and Switzerland.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Did someone say White Russians?

k49dtx.jpg

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Without Rinne & Kontiola this team would have no chance of making even the QFs. What a sad bunch overall.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What a sad bunch overall.
Amen, brother. Amen.

It would be easier to stand if this was a force of circumstance, ie. too many declinations and this really is the best we could muster. I know I'm repeating myself once again, but I just can't get over the fact that Erkka actually caused this. Pieces that would have made that team so much better sit at home because the management saw no use to them.

Oh well. At least we now got Haula. It's of course entirely unrealistic to expect he turns this ship around all by himself, but at least there should be something to watch from here on out.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
OJ seems to be scared of making a mistakes and doesn't even try the offensive plays that he usually does. I don't know play him with Haula and hope for the best?

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Haula should at least help with our miserable breakout, based on my limited viewing of him he has the ability to do it by himself if need be. Also can't hurt to have someone with hands playing with OJ.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
OJ seems to be scared of making a mistakes and doesn't even try the offensive plays that he usually does. I don't know play him with Haula and hope for the best?
When you have Pakarinen and Komarov both chasing the puck to the wall, somebody has to stay lower and be ready to help the D. Hats off to OJ, who is very dedicated with this, but it's obvious he can't do the same thing he does in the NHL - crashing the net.

If Haula can play smart, he might be able to prove some much-needed release to OJ. Plus, the dude is FAST. OJ should be able to push his play a little, knowing that there'll be a guy who can get down in time.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
When you have Pakarinen and Komarov both chasing the puck to the wall, somebody has to stay lower and be ready to help the D. Hats off to OJ, who is very dedicated with this, but it's obvious he can't do the same thing he does in the NHL - crashing the net.

If Haula can play smart, he might be able to prove some much-needed release to OJ. Plus, the dude is FAST. OJ should be able to push his play a little, knowing that there'll be a guy who can get down in time.

Haula is what any one would love: Player with pihlströms legs (seriously, he IS fast) but also some skill, strenght, two way play and solid shot too.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Amen, brother. Amen.

It would be easier to stand if this was a force of circumstance, ie. too many declinations and this really is the best we could muster. I know I'm repeating myself once again, but I just can't get over the fact that Erkka actually caused this. Pieces that would have made that team so much better sit at home because the management saw no use to them.

Oh well. At least we now got Haula. It's of course entirely unrealistic to expect he turns this ship around all by himself, but at least there should be something to watch from here on out.

Not brother but that's ok :laugh:

I'm still trying to understand how we ended up with 3 lines of grinders. Erkka's usually been a skill coach so this is baffling. I also don't know what he thought he would get out of OJ with linemates like that considering there's probably no other Finnish coach who knows OJ better than him. With Erkka's recent logic I won't be surprised if Haula ends up on the 4th line.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Would love to see Kontiola play in the NHL. He still has 6-8 good years in him

I don't think he's game translates to the NHL size rink very well. Don't get me wrong, great player in Europe but don't see him making it in the NHL.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Any news how the lines look with Haula?

Jori Lehterä – Petri Kontiola – Olli Palola
Erik Haula – Olli Jokinen – Leo Komarov
Miikka Salomäki – Jarkko Immonen – Iiro Pakarinen
Tommi Huhtala – Tomi Sallinen – Jere Sallinen
(Veli-Matti Savinainen)

Mara

May 10, 2011
Kontiola is amazing. Now that he's the only one in the team with world class hands and vision with the courage to use them it's even more obvious. It's too bad they can't even build a proper PP unit for him. Such a shame that the team is so bad this year, but at least every game is exciting now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad