WC: General Talk '12 — Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Few changes to the Oddset Hockey Games EHT roster.

Petteri Nummelin, Sami Kapanen, Tuomas Kiiskinen -> Teemu Eronen, Jani Tuppurainen, Sakari Salminen

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Petteri Nummelin, Sami Kapanen, Tuomas Kiiskinen -> Teemu Eronen, Jani Tuppurainen, Sakari Salminen
WTG, Jalonen! The guy reads HFBoards?

Have to wonder though what made such high-profile oldtimers such as Kapanen and Nummelin drop out. Have to wonder also whether this'll hurt their chances of making the WHC team or not.

I guess this'll silence some of the dissenting for a short while at least. It'll be extremely interesting to see what Salminen and Eronen can do.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
According to tulosruutu Kapanen and Nummelin have some sort of injuries. Very interesting to see Salminen and Eronen, both very potential guys for the future.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hate to think so but I think Nummelin is done on the national team.
There's one thing that certainly makes Nummelin a very risky pick for this level. It's his proneness for injuries.

2011 - Did not participate (injury).
2010 - Injured and sidelined in game number #6 (of 7).
2009 - Technically healthy, but sat out two games out of seven "to be safe".
2008 - Did not participate (injury).
2007 - Injured and sidelined in game number #7 (of 9).

Yeah. The guy hasn't seen a healthy WHC tournament since 2006. And the regulations of taxi squads have nothing but become stricter since then. Skillwise, he's still WHC material and I don't think speed would be an issue either, but there's a very high chance that he won't actually finish the games as a dressed up player.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Eronen will be exposed badly at the EHT.

I'm not so sure about that. And even if he does, I'm sure he uses the experience as a learning tool to get even better. Granlund benefited from EHT games, so did Sami Vatanen. It's been two years since they made their EHT debuts, so it's about time to have some fresh faces at EHT. Hopefully we won't have to wait another two years for the next 20-year-old.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not so sure about that. And even if he does, I'm sure he uses the experience as a learning tool to get even better.
It all depends on how Jalonen intends to utilize him. If he's used a direct stunt of Nummelin, he has quite a good chance to shine, considering Jalonen certainly knows where Numppa's weaknesses lie and how to counter 'em. Pair Eronen up with a guy who's solid on his own end and we might have a future staple player in development.

Hopefully we won't have to wait another two years for the next 20-year-old.
In d-men we may have to 'til the -94 crop has matured enough. Forwards, not so much - hopefully. Armia certainly looks like he's due this or next season, though WJC eligibility will likely hamper those prospects down a bit. Pulkkinen is another, though he already did his men's NT debut last spring, just not in EHT.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Pair Eronen up with a guy who's solid on his own end and we might have a future staple player in development.
If Eronen actually gets to play, then it would be natural to put him next to Väänänen, since they play together a lot with Jokerit.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Armia really should've been chosen...

Wouldn't be surprised if Armia was selected to those preliminary teams like Pulkkinen last year. And I would be even less surprised if he scored something like 4. 5+3=8 and was cut neverthenless. :laugh:

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
How many World Championships and Olympic medals does Jalonen need to win in order to keep you satisfied?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
How many World Championships and Olympic medals does Jalonen need to win in order to keep you satisfied?
If we look at our long-term coaches from the past 20 years...

Lindström got three medals with six major tournament appearances, 1 gold.
Aravirta: 5/8 (0 G)
Westerlund: 3/4 (0 G)

Jalonen (currently) : 2/4 (1 G)

Honestly, two with four tries isn't even that impressive yet. Let's say one more. Then he's on par with Lindström.

(Yes, I'm joking, at least partially.)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if Armia was selected to those preliminary teams like Pulkkinen last year. And I would be even less surprised if he scored something like 4. 5+3=8 and was cut neverthenless. :laugh:

Very possible :). Armia is better version of Aaltonen already in my eyes. I see them as little bit similar guys (not because of the hair lol). We'll see if Jalonen picks either one for the last EHT team. The last EHT team should be close to final team for the WC (minus some NHL guys) so i'm bit disappointed of the picks for this EHT...

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Lines on tuesdays practises. (Source MTV3)

-I like line 1. Perfect way to test Pesonen/Aaltonen.

Pesonen - Lindgren - Aaltonen
Eronen - Väänänen
Komarov - Kontiola - Salminen
Puistola - Niskala
Pihlström - Hytönen - Tuppurainen
Järvinen - Kousa
Joensuu - Koskiranta - Anttila
Jaakola - Kukkonen

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
We'll see if Jalonen picks either one for the last EHT team. The last EHT team should be close to final team for the WC (minus some NHL guys) so i'm bit disappointed of the picks for this EHT...
They actually had Jalonen on radio (I think it was YLE Kanta-Häme) earlier where he stated the following:

- There are no free passes to the WHC. Apparently every guy is under the same scrutiny no matter whether they're one of the old or a completely new face.

- Kapanen and Nummelin are not completely snubbed from contention, but they'll have to see closer to the games what to do with them and how they can prove their mettle.

- Eronen and Salminen are players who represent "the future of the national team" and the veterans getting sidelined brought about an opportune moment to start settling them in to the system.

- There are players in who were in the U20 games he is interested about, but considering this is the only time over the season they can be given a little rest, he didn't end up picking any of 'em. They have to be as fresh as possible come the end of the season.

- What comes to those WJC players actually making it to the final team, he said that he actually has more than "just that one" candidate marked on his papers, but again it's an issue to be settled closer to the main event.

So there. How much of that is just the usual jargon and how much should be taken at face value is up to you, but especially those soundbites concerning the U20 guys were nothing short of interesting.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Veikkaaja's picks for the team

T.Ruutu-M.Koivu-Selänne
J.Jokinen-Immonen-Granlund
Leino-Kapanen-Korpikospi
Petrell-Pyörälä-Komarov
Peltonen

Vatanen-Niskala
Salmela-Nummelin
Karalahti-Lydman
Väänänen-Jaakola
Pitkänen

Rinne
Lehtonen
Vehanen

Look's OK but I think there's enough center depth so winger like Pyörälä wouldn't be needed at the middle zone.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Look's OK but I think there's enough center depth so winger like Pyörälä wouldn't be needed at the middle zone.
In a scenario where they figured Selänne will be in, the elder Koivu should be available as well - and thus it's pretty moronic they didn't place Saku as a bottom-six centre. Have him overtake Pyörälä and while it's not exactly what I would personally envision, still a quite nice team.

Last edited:

Needles

Jun 29, 2010

Make no mistake, I'm happy that we won the gold medal last year. But it's fair to say that Jalonen has his weaknesses. And one of them is bringing young talent to the national team. He likes to pick the same players over and over again. Just look at what Vahalahti, Kerman & Pulkkinen did in WHC preliminary games and who didn't get a fair chance. If you'd like everyone just praise Jalonen around here, you're free to put me on your ignore list.

I wouldn't place T.Ruutu into those lineups just yet. I think there's a fair chance that he'll be traded to a contender before the deadline. Nashville and Minnesota are still in playoff hunt. And I doubt Lydman & Pitkänen are interested or that we'll get a NHL starter as a backup goalie...

My updated lineups, based on current NHL standings:

Niklas Hagman - Saku Koivu - Teemu Selänne
Mikael Granlund -Jarkko Immonen - Janne Pesonen
Lauri Korpikoski - Niko Kapanen - Jussi Jokinen
Antti Pihlström - Petteri Nokelainen - Leo Komarov
Joel Armia, Matti Kuparinen

Lasse Kukkonen - Janne Niskala
Ossi Väänänen - Sami Vatanen
Anssi Salmela - Topi Jaakola
Mikko Kousa - Pasi Puistola
Ilkka Heikkinen

Kari Lehtonen
Petri Vehanen
Niko Hovinen

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
- There are players in who were in the U20 games he is interested about, but considering this is the only time over the season they can be given a little rest, he didn't end up picking any of 'em. They have to be as fresh as possible come the end of the season.

That sounds positive. Last year that final EHT's team was quite close to the final team if I remember right and it sounds like based on this it will be different this time and Armia will be sure pick for EHT since they'll use that EHT for testing still and not so much for finding line/team chemistry (for WC) yet. It might be the right thing to do since home games are different and having the team too long together might exhaust them mentally before the end due to the media pressure & buzz around the home games. I say he'll also pick Pulkkinen for the EHT, but my guess is only Granlund and Armia will make it in to the final team. I'd like to see Markus Granlund in the final EHT as well (not in same line with Mikael).

Veikkaaja's picks for the team

Have to say i'm really doubtful about M.Koivu & Rinne atm. Koivu has been injured a lot this season. That is one thing and his team might do ok in the playoffs so chances are quite small imo.

Leino would be good pick to place in that "Aaltonen slot" (line 3) instead of Aaltonen as they are similar players, but i'm so doubtful about Buffalo dropping out early. If it goes to second round in the playoffs for Buffalo and Leino is playing the same as he's been playing this season then no point bringing him in to break the lines etc.

Like File said where's Saku in Veikkaaja's prediction.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Btw it's good that tomorrow's Finland-Russia game on olympic stadium is especially against Russia. That guarantees the people that don't have/want to get Canal+ will 100% see the game via streams ;).

That's gonna be a sick game. 18.25 Finnish time means it's going to be pretty dark too, which makes it even more cool. Does anyone know how many spectators there will be? Artuykhin also there ;) makes it even better. I hope it will be slightly better than HIFK-Jokerit though, but it'll probably be the same in that both of the teams will play quite cautiously since the puck might do what ever due to the snow.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
I say he'll also pick Pulkkinen for the EHT, but my guess is only Granlund and Armia will make it in to the final team. I'd like to see Markus Granlund in the final EHT as well (not in same line with Mikael).

IIRC, Jalonen mentioned Pulkkinen and Salomäki by name at some point. And I'd be very shocked if Armia didn't play any EHT games this year. He's on fire right now. Not so sure about Markus Granlund though. I think he needs another year before he's ready.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Leino would be good pick to place in that "Aaltonen slot" (line 3) instead of Aaltonen as they are similar players, but i'm so doubtful about Buffalo dropping out early.
Eh? Buffalo is currently second-to-last in East, 11 points away from the playoff line. It'll be a tall climb for 'em. There is a very high chance Leino is available.

I say he'll also pick Pulkkinen for the EHT, but my guess is only Granlund and Armia will make it in to the final team.
Armia for the final WHC team, you say? Let's start with him making EHT first or at least some of those other preliminary games. Though even that depends on Ässät not going all the way. I'm not saying Armia could do nothing in men's WHC, but it's good to be a realist.

The competition's likely to be pretty tough, after all. Apart from Leino, J.Jokinen will likely be available from Carolina (Ruutu's contract ends and he could end up traded). From Anaheim, Hagman (contract up as well but might be in need of a "boost") and Selänne of course, if he's willing.

Edmonton is far behind in West but OKC is soaring in AHL, so the probability of Hartikainen and Petrell being available is small.

There could be even more guys available from teams closer to the playoff line, some will climb in and some likely end up being left outside, but it's a crapshoot at this point so it's useless to speculate with names. But if say, Korpikoski and Bergenheim are available, they'll likely take preference over Armia.

In Europe, Granlund is a sure bet, then there're Pesonen and Aaltonen plus of course those oldtimers S.Kapanen and Peltonen.

Worst case for Armia is that he's in the 10 to 12th slot in wingers' depth chart, even in pessimistic takes of more high profile player availability, he's sixth at best.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Eh? Buffalo is currently second-to-last in East, 11 points away from the playoff line. It'll be a tall climb for 'em. There is a very high chance Leino is available.

Armia for the final WHC team, you say? Let's start with him making EHT first or at least some of those other preliminary games. Though even that depends on Ässät not going all the way. I'm not saying Armia could do nothing in men's WHC, but it's good to be a realist.

The competition's likely to be pretty tough, after all. Apart from Leino, J.Jokinen will likely be available from Carolina (Ruutu's contract ends and he could end up traded). From Anaheim, Hagman (contract up as well but might be in need of a "boost") and Selänne of course, if he's willing.

Edmonton is far behind in West but OKC is soaring in AHL, so the probability of Hartikainen and Petrell being available is small.

There could be even more guys available from teams closer to the playoff line, some will climb in and some likely end up being left outside, but it's a crapshoot at this point so it's useless to speculate with names. But if say, Korpikoski and Bergenheim are available, they'll likely take preference over Armia.

In Europe, Granlund is a sure bet, then there're Pesonen and Aaltonen plus of course those oldtimers S.Kapanen and Peltonen.

Worst case for Armia is that he's in the 10 to 12th slot in wingers' depth chart, even in pessimistic takes of more high profile player availability, he's sixth at best.

I see armia being better than those "old timers". But its going to be hard as Armia's style really imo doesnt fit bottom 6 in classic team where theres 2 offensive lines.. but you never know. Im not so sure abot guy like Jussi Jokinen, i put Armia ahead of him and Kapanen and Peltonen and Pulkkinen even.

I found armia has really hard competition finding hes place in top 6.. probably too hard. Then if the bottom lines are defensive lines, then I think he hasnt much of change.. Thought sometimes they put some skill players in bottom lines too. U never know, but one thing is for sure: I would love to see him in NT.

Ma granlund should not be an option imo.
Salomäki could be a "joker" ;p

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Juhamatti Aaltonen is out, --> Teemu Pulkkinen in

This tournament is getting more interesting by the minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad