OT: General OT Thread #37: Warren G Harding Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
In the last 10 days my 3.5 year old son has done the following.

1. Flooded the kitchen with the sink hose sprayer.

2. Had the cat scratch the outside of his eyeball. Had to call 911 and get an ambulance and go to the ER.

3. Dumped TWO full jars of fish food in the fish tank.

My stress level is at a new all-time high.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
AWD and snow tyres are for people who can't drive. All you need in winter is a 20-30 -year old Volvo and confidence.

And experience.

I learned how to drive on a RWD Ford Ranger. Damn thing had next to no weight in the back, I only got into one accident in my 10 years driving it, and it was because of black ice, at night, in an area I had never driven before.

Experience trumps everything, but, in the absence of experience, preparation counts for a lot. :laugh:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
And experience.

I learned how to drive on a RWD Ford Ranger. Damn thing had next to no weight in the back, I only got into one accident in my 10 years driving it, and it was because of black ice, at night, in an area I had never driven before.

Experience trumps everything, but, in the absence of experience, preparation counts for a lot. :laugh:

Ford Ranger? My uncle has one. 2007 diesel with twin turbochargers IIRC. It has a metric crapton of torque, but I've seen shopping carts with more steering feel. Seriously, you can turn the wheel for good 10-20 degrees before the car actually turns. Still, it's a blast to drive in a gravel road, that's for sure.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
AWD and snow tyres are for people who can't drive. All you need in winter is a 20-30 -year old Volvo and confidence.

When I got my 18-point inspection after my general tuneup a few weeks ago the mechanic said that my confidence levels were down to 20%. Said it should last until the spring but to keep an eye on it. The quote to have it replaced (including labor) was $436! No wonder they include the 18-point inspection for free. Bunch of upsellers.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Ford Ranger? My uncle has one. 2007 diesel with twin turbochargers IIRC. It has a metric crapton of torque, but I've seen shopping carts with more steering feel. Seriously, you can turn the wheel for good 10-20 degrees before the car actually turns. Still, it's a blast to drive in a gravel road, that's for sure.

They've changed a LOT. Mine was a '99.

I didn't find it to be floaty, at all. The only problem was the lack of weight meant that the back end slid out at the drop of a hat. That, and it lacked guts, it had a weak V6 that got awful mileage.

That said, I loved that truck. :laugh:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Hey all

Just wanted to let you guys all know that I'm temporarily stepping down as a mod here due to life issues. I haven't been around as much as I usually am and I don't think that will be changing for a few weeks, probably not until after the holidays.

Life happens, you know?

Anyhoo, we've got a great group of mods here, you guys are in great hands :nod:

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Hey all

Just wanted to let you guys all know that I'm temporarily stepping down as a mod here due to life issues. I haven't been around as much as I usually am and I don't think that will be changing for a few weeks, probably not until after the holidays.

Life happens, you know?

It was great while it lasted!

Except for all those infractions you've given me :sarcasm:

Seriously though, good luck with the life issues.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Hey all

Life happens, you know?

Good luck sorting your life out, and thank you for your service. It was great while it lasted, but life comes first. Always. Remember, we're here if you need help.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Good luck sorting your life out, and thank you for your service. It was great while it lasted, but life comes first. Always. Remember, we're here if you need help.

Absolutely this. Sometimes, some moderately anonymous *****ing can be disturbingly therapeutic.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
And experience.

Disagree on this. Experience doesn't give you traction from a standstill on a slippery road going uphill.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hey all

Life happens, you know?

Sucks to hear. Hopefully you get your life sorted out and back on track. As Puhis said, we're all here you, man.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Disagree on this. Experience doesn't give you traction from a standstill on a slippery road going uphill.

But experience would teach you to never come to a complete stop. :laugh:

I *NEVER* fully stop if the roads are slippery, it makes a big difference.

Or, at worst, to avoid said hills.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
There's a stopsign on an incline right by my apartment building that I have to use every time I drive somewhere. In wintertime it's slippery as hell. The road is also patrolled somewhat frequently so I have to come to a complete stop or risk getting a ticket. It sucks cause it takes forever to climb it from a full stop. Just makes me want to rage.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
There's a stopsign on an incline right by my apartment building that I have to use every time I drive somewhere. In wintertime it's slippery as hell. The road is also patrolled somewhat frequently so I have to come to a complete stop or risk getting a ticket. It sucks cause it takes forever to climb it from a full stop. Just makes me want to rage.

You can fight that no problem. If a cop pulls you over for blowing through the stop sign you tell them in a very polite manner that the road is extremely slick and stopping would create a safety hazard for yourself and any other vehicle that is around you. When you approach the sign you must go cautiously into it and if you can lay into the horn a little bit and you're golden. No cop is winning that battle if it were to be contested. Hell most should know that area is bad and allow it. With a RWD car trust me, I blow through many of signs on hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad