OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 3 - Read OP before posting

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah and how do you know who's any good at hockey?

You'll have no idea unless you know linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and how to apply them all in concert.

This is how you troll.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
80z6w2~2.jpg

Sep 19, 2008
How many gallons of paint to do you need to paint a four-walled room that measure 8x10’ in dimensions? How early should you leave if the airport is 30 miles away and the average speed limit is 45 miles per hour? If you want to accrue $1M in your bank account and the average market return is 8% per year, how many years will it take you to get there if you start at 30 saving $1,500 a month?

You can use a calculator to solve all of these equations but if you don’t know how to set up the problem the calculator is useless.
i don't need to know because I abstract that all to labor.

even for my recent escapade with trying to figure out if my backpack would fit on the plane (they talked about 9x10x17 size) it just required a ruler. I didn't even need to calculate volume.

other than calculating tip math especially advanced calculus and trig and linalg has been extremely pointless. in theory it should also be used for my field of computing but it's not!

Couldn’t disagree more. Calculators calculate and just like any other tool they’re useless if you don’t know what to use it for.

Math teaches you how to problem solve. It teaches you how to break complex problems into manageable components. The actual calculation of a problem is the easiest part of math.
The solution to the problem requires memorization of a standard formula. i can't recall l'hopitals rule from scratch and if you could I would be concerned. chain rule too.

after retirement from calculus in 2004 I've not used one iota

Reactions: RandyHolt
Sep 19, 2008
maybe elementary math is used commonly but again calculator. anything after alg1 or even geometry isn't used anymore. haven't had to use trig since 2004 and am thankful.

okay, math is fine. mostly numbers though and basic addition and subtraction and multiplication and division. my grudge is with advanced math and I'll never forgive them for that. but rudimentary math is fine.

stats is fine too even the s curve and t tests and whatever

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
i don't need to know because I abstract that all to labor.

even for my recent escapade with trying to figure out if my backpack would fit on the plane (they talked about 9x10x17 size) it just required a ruler. I didn't even need to calculate volume.

other than calculating tip math especially advanced calculus and trig and linalg has been extremely pointless. in theory it should also be used for my field of computing but it's not!

The solution to the problem requires memorization of a standard formula. i can't recall l'hopitals rule from scratch and if you could I would be concerned. chain rule too.

after retirement from calculus in 2004 I've not used one iota

Mods??????

• Haha
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I use math all the freakin time, conceptual and calculations. In some business and personal settings you have to think on your feet and you can't put your head down in a calculator.

But I do love me some Excel formulas.

Sep 19, 2008
I use math all the freakin time, conceptual and calculations. In some business and personal settings you have to think on your feet and you can't put your head down in a calculator.

But I do love me some Excel formulas.
I mostly use it to calculate how much a team is up by or under

• Haha
Reactions: g00n

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I have everything. BigQuery with tens of millions of strings (not that much actually), data engineer who writes SQL/Python for my requests and investigations :P And I have to assess lots of numbers/graphs with my eyes on a daily basis.

But anyway, you need math to become smarter while being young.

That actually gets you better salary more often than not.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Work tip thats helpful to me

End of the day, I make a short list of clients/to dos that I must get completed the next day. Then next day, check off your list as you go. end of that day, make tomorrows list.

Since covid ive hit weeks and sometimes months of feeling unproductive and its putting me behind

edit -- f*** math and math related things

Sep 19, 2008
i'll tell you one math fact that is relevant to me: that powerball is now 1.4 billion

do you know what you could do with 1.4 billion? shit you'd never see me again :laugh: i'm retired :laugh:

Reactions: Devil Dancer

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
i'll tell you one math fact that is relevant to me: that powerball is now 1.4 billion

do you know what you could do with 1.4 billion? shit you'd never see me again :laugh: i'm retired :laugh:

I've already done the hard part and figured out exactly what I'd do with all the money, between investing, saving, spending, splurging and donating it. Now I just need to hit the trillion to one ping pong thingy.

The guy in CA who won the last $999M Powerball is blowing it with massive Hollywood mansions and super expensive cars right way. I would do things much differently. Boats and hoes my friends, boats and hoes!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've already done the hard part and figured out exactly what I'd do with all the money, between investing, saving, spending, splurging and donating it. Now I just need to hit the trillion to one ping pong thingy.

The guy in CA who won the last $999M Powerball is blowing it with massive Hollywood mansions and super expensive cars right way. I would do things much differently. Boats and hoes my friends, boats and hoes!
It’s not all that different! Homes and Hoes!

Reactions: Neil Racki
Sep 19, 2008
even with the government taking 50% of those wins immediately 500m is still an insane amount. invest that in stock options and become a nomad touring the world. like that movie nomad land instead of a van maybe a mid size rv

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad