OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 3 - Read OP before posting

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maintain the brain mainly in the plains of Spain

1693537715696.gif

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Why the f*** don't schools teach kids cursive, but teach them math EVERY SINGLE DAY ignoring they will be carrying a calculator with them everywhere they go when they reach the age of actually needing to do math? My neighbors 16 year old son had to sign his drivers license. It looks like a first grader signed it.
I think it was like 10 years or so ago I realized I really couldn't write in cursive any more just a word or to here and there and my signature.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Use it or lose it one must maintain the brain. I don't want months spent on it but when you see the other things that are mandatory studying maybe a day could be spent at least at learning to recognize the written letters and maybe signing ones first name? There is 0 not a minute spent on it in a decade +? of schooling but the poor kid'll have to decipher f***ing Shakespeare for 3 months.

I imagine my kid walking into apply for a first job and the application being thrown in the trash because he cannot sign his name because the manager knows cursive. I think some think it makes you look dumb writing or signing your name in block letters.

Last edited:

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
I think it was like 10 years or so ago I realized I really couldn't write in cursive any more just a word or to here and there and my signature.

Lol, pretty much where I'm at. Funny thing is there's no legal requirement that your signature has to be in cursive.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I imagine my kid walking into apply for a first job and the application being thrown in the trash because he cannot sign his name because the manager knows cursive. I think some think it makes you look dumb writing or signing your name in block letters.

If your signature doesn’t look like incomprehensible scribble then I wouldn’t hire you.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If your signature doesn’t look like incomprehensible scribble then I wouldn’t hire you.
Yeah i gave up signing proper 30 years ago when I realized no one matched signatures from the back of credit cards to receipts.

If your sig is in all CAPS I wouldn't hire you if the job required every hand writing in any way.

Reactions: HTFN

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Use it or lose it one must maintain the brain. I don't want months spent on it but when you see the other things that are mandatory studying maybe a day could be spent at least at learning to recognize the written letters and maybe signing ones first name? There is 0 not a minute spent on it in a decade +? of schooling but the poor kid'll have to decipher f***ing Shakespeare for 3 months.

I started pen & paper RPG gaming in intermediate school which pushed me to use print more for clarity naturally so writing in cursive was something I do recall not doing at all in HS.

Even in my successful band days where I would get asked for autographs I would simply to a bit of more stylized print version. So my suggestion just work on a cool print version his name to adopt as his go to signature.

Reactions: RandyHolt

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I hated cursive and have always sucked at it. DON'T TELL ME HOW TO f***IN WRITE.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
So are we having another HFBoards yahoo fantasy hockey league for the upcoming season? I can probably add a couple of people from my work to boost the team numbers.

If we do my only request is to bring back PMs that count in the numbers its always enjoyable to have a narrow win because a plug on your roster goes for a 5+10 in a game.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I went from trying to something more like an athlete's autograph, but one of the ones where they have to sign with their number at the end otherwise it'll be a real son of a bitch to figure out who it actually was.

You get the first letter of each name and sometimes I throw in the taller letters if I'm feeling up to it, otherwise it's just bullshit

Reactions: Cappy76 and twabby

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If we do my only request is to bring back PMs that count in the numbers its always enjoyable to have a narrow win because a plug on your roster goes for a 5+10 in a game.
A couple of years ago, I was in third place in my Yahoo keeper league late in the season, Just before the May 5th Rangers/Caps line-brawl game--the first game the teams played after Wilson's takedown of Panarin--I dumped a bunch of players and picked up every Rags/Caps player available through waivers who would likely get into a fight. I already had Wilson, and I picked up Dowd, Hathaway, Brendan Smith, and Kevin Rooney. I forget how many PIMs I earned, but it was a ton, and enough to single-handedly rocket me up to first place, where I stayed until I won the championship.

PIMS for the Win!

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I put a crown over my sig, with a looping arrow thing underneath then these hash mark things as bookends on each side .. sometimes a lil drip effect .. then of course a drop down 3d and outline forcefield

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I went from trying to something more like an athlete's autograph, but one of the ones where they have to sign with their number at the end otherwise it'll be a real son of a bitch to figure out who it actually was.

You get the first letter of each name and sometimes I throw in the taller letters if I'm feeling up to it, otherwise it's just bullshit
Lol same….mine you can make out the first letter first name, middle initial, first letter last name. I think when I was like 20, I sat down one day and just wrote my signature like 100 different ways until I settled on one.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Has the new Post beat reporter put up anything about the Caps yet? All I've seen from her is soccer stuff.

Silber sure posts a lot of content, so we've got that going for us.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Has the new Post beat reporter put up anything about the Caps yet? All I've seen from her is soccer stuff.

Silber sure posts a lot of content, so we've got that going for us.
Not much from the WaPo beat writer. It is interesting that years ago the beat writer had sports blogs where they would put more real time/twitter like updates like lines in the morning, etc, but those have vanished.

Give props to Silber even though substance is naturally thin and content stretched in the off season it is nice to have regular posts.

Sep 19, 2008
new monumental sports network is going well so far

- caps red line is solid
- wizards FO show is good
- new hershey bears documentary on their cup winning season should be good

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Sep 19, 2008
Why the f*** don't schools teach kids cursive, but teach them math EVERY SINGLE DAY ignoring they will be carrying a calculator with them everywhere they go when they reach the age of actually needing to do math? My neighbors 16 year old son had to sign his drivers license. It looks like a first grader signed it.
Math is extremely pointless now that everyone has a calculator.

Sep 19, 2008
I used to pull out my phone calculator every time I went out to eat to calculate 15%. Now I just move the decimal point to the left one space and multiply that by 2 in my head. That is the extent of math I engage in every day.

Otherwise, don't get me started on math. Something that is so reliant on memorization so you can "learn skills" that you just use in a calculator in the real world. Just like the story of that guy who had to memorize the periodic table for chemistry. Then when he went to work he had one in the back of his office for decades lol. Then why did he need to memorize it?

Reactions: RandyHolt

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Math is extremely pointless now that everyone has a calculator.
Couldn’t disagree more. Calculators calculate and just like any other tool they’re useless if you don’t know what to use it for.

Math teaches you how to problem solve. It teaches you how to break complex problems into manageable components. The actual calculation of a problem is the easiest part of math.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I used to pull out my phone calculator every time I went out to eat to calculate 15%. Now I just move the decimal point to the left one space and multiply that by 2 in my head. That is the extent of math I engage in every day.

Otherwise, don't get me started on math. Something that is so reliant on memorization so you can "learn skills" that you just use in a calculator in the real world. Just like the story of that guy who had to memorize the periodic table for chemistry. Then when he went to work he had one in the back of his office for decades lol. Then why did he need to memorize it?
How many gallons of paint to do you need to paint a four-walled room that measure 8x10’ in dimensions? How early should you leave if the airport is 30 miles away and the average speed limit is 45 miles per hour? If you want to accrue $1M in your bank account and the average market return is 8% per year, how many years will it take you to get there if you start at 30 saving $1,500 a month?

You can use a calculator to solve all of these equations but if you don’t know how to set up the problem the calculator is useless.

Reactions: HTFN and twabby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad