OT: General College Hockey Talk

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Usually scoring only 8 goals in the tournament is not a recipe for winning a title. Matt MFing Davis has cemented himself as a folk hero in Pioneer lore.

I wonder what the fewest amount of goals scored is for a title winning team?

Reactions: Chainshot

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Final thoughts on the season:

-I hope David Carle sticks around the NCAA ranks. He is pretty much the only guy we could be mentioning in the same breath as Jerry York, Jack Parker, Badger Bob...etc.

-This was the first Frozen Four in a while I felt any team could win it. Denver came in as the highest scoring team with a unheralded, but awesome defense and a top goalie who went ballistic in the tournament. Michigan was on a roll and they can always skate with anyone, even on a down year . BU is so solid aside from having 2 game breakers in Hutson and Cellibrini. BC had the most NHL ready players.

-Quinnipiac was the coulda, shoulda, woulda team of the tournament. They had BC on the ropes and I was genuinely disappointed they didn't get a chance to repeat.

-Michigan State is my year ahead prediction for the FF next year. They will be bringing back most of the team and I'm expecting Trey Augustine to be a strong Hobey candidate.

-I dislike the off-season. The only thing to follow until next October is decommits, who turns pro, or the transfer portal (which has been exciting in the worst way at Wisconsin).

It's been great college hockey chatting with you my dudes.

Reactions: Chainshot

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Final thoughts on the season:

-I hope David Carle sticks around the NCAA ranks. He is pretty much the only guy we could be mentioning in the same breath as Jerry York, Jack Parker, Badger Bob...etc.

-This was the first Frozen Four in a while I felt any team could win it. Denver came in as the highest scoring team with a unheralded, but awesome defense and a top goalie who went ballistic in the tournament. Michigan was on a roll and they can always skate with anyone, even on a down year . BU is so solid aside from having 2 game breakers in Hutson and Cellibrini. BC had the most NHL ready players.

-Quinnipiac was the coulda, shoulda, woulda team of the tournament. They had BC on the ropes and I was genuinely disappointed they didn't get a chance to repeat.

-Michigan State is my year ahead prediction for the FF next year. They will be bringing back most of the team and I'm expecting Trey Augustine to be a strong Hobey candidate.

-I dislike the off-season. The only thing to follow until next October is decommits, who turns pro, or the transfer portal (which has been exciting in the worst way at Wisconsin).

It's been great college hockey chatting with you my dudes.
Well you have Tommy Scarfone coming in between the pipes from the transfer portal - probably the perfect type for Hastings style - a little more average on one on one breakaway type chances (even against AHA quality competition), but reads the game extremely well and is one of the best I've ever seen at RIT in terms of controlling rebounds and using his stick to clear pucks. His game against BU wasn't his best - I think he's going to come in extremely motivated knowing this coming year will really be his last shot to show his worth against elevated competition.

Not sure who else you having coming in to compete between the pipes - or how Scarfone's game will translate to the Big Ten (although he did shut out Notre Dame last season), but I'm confident in saying he's at least better than Barczewski who just made the FF with Michigan after transferring from Canisius.

EDIT: Aiden Hansen-Bukata also just entered the portal today after all but saying he was staying :cry:....that's 3 out and 0 in so far from the portal for us

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

This is insane. Hopefully part of it is this year is the last of the 5 years of eligibility from Covid.

I've heard from a couple people around college hockey that tampering is a huge problem - technically no one is supposed to be able to talk to/offer/gauge interest a player that is already attending and playing for a school may have in coming to a new program, but it's basically a not so open secret that it happens literally all the time (probably in more sports than just hockey, frankly).

RIT's administration has been publicly supportive of staying in Atlantic Hockey and trying to raise the level of the league. I wonder if they keep losing their best 2-3 players to other conferences every year if that changes and teams start really look at realignment in the Northeast.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
This is insane. Hopefully part of it is this year is the last of the 5 years of eligibility from Covid.

I've heard from a couple people around college hockey that tampering is a huge problem - technically no one is supposed to be able to talk to/offer/gauge interest a player that is already attending and playing for a school may have in coming to a new program, but it's basically a not so open secret that it happens literally all the time (probably in more sports than just hockey, frankly).

RIT's administration has been publicly supportive of staying in Atlantic Hockey and trying to raise the level of the league. I wonder if they keep losing their best 2-3 players to other conferences every year if that changes and teams start really look at realignment in the Northeast.
The loophole is teams contact the player's junior or high school coach to guage interest. Sometimes a family member. You just can't contact the player directly (and that still goes on at the college football level anyway at the very least and I assume elsewhere)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I wasn't sure where to throw this.

I saw that this kid was the All-Greater Rochester HS Hockey POTY. With that name, I had to look up his Elite Prospects page.

It is really interesting.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I wasn't sure where to throw this.

I saw that this kid was the All-Greater Rochester HS Hockey POTY. With that name, I had to look up his Elite Prospects page.

It is really interesting.

The Regals U18 team he is on was lead in scoring by one of my HS friend's kids.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad