OT: General College Hockey Talk

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20240210_194945.jpg

Reactions: RabidBadger

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Screenshot_20240213-112332.png

Here's the current pairwise featuring playoff teams. I could see any of the top 9 having a legit shot at the FF. Quinnipiac has faded, but they're a different beast in the post season. I think Maine has the highest chance of choking and Minnesota (it pains me to say) would be my sleeper pick. They've been outstanding the past month.

Btw, about a week after I posted the RB power 5 in this thread, ESPN published their college hockey review and basically said all the same shit I did. I want all 3 of you that read my post to have my back when I shake those weasels down for compensation!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
View attachment 818814
Here's the current pairwise featuring playoff teams. I could see any of the top 9 having a legit shot at the FF. Quinnipiac has faded, but they're a different beast in the post season. I think Maine has the highest chance of choking and Minnesota (it pains me to say) would be my sleeper pick. They've been outstanding the past month.

Btw, about a week after I posted the RB power 5 in this thread, ESPN published their college hockey review and basically said all the same shit I did. I want all 3 of you that read my post to have my back when I shake those weasels down for compensation!

It's okay, there are some surprising similarities with both pay and free sites that seem to wander through, take someone's research and then put up a blog post or article.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Worth noting that whoever finishes #15 and #16 won't make the tournament unless they win their conference - Atlantic Hockey's highest ranked team is #22 (RIT) and CCHA's highest ranked team is #29 (Minnesota State), so the auto bids from those conferences will knock the bottom two out of the tournament.

Any upsets in other conference's tournaments (such as Colgate last year and Harvard the year before both in the ECAC) could put the #14 team at risk as well. What is it with Quinnipiac and their conference tournament? :laugh:

There's also a huge gap in RPI (which is mostly how pairwise is calculated) between #15 Michigan and #16 New Hampshire, so the Wildcats have a ton of work to do to get into the top 14.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

PLATTSBURGH, N.Y.— Freshman goalie Lenny Perno (Rochester, N.Y./Richmond Generals) made 63 saves to lead the SUNY Potsdam men's hockey team (8-17-1) into overtime before falling 3-2 to Plattsburgh State (20-4-2) in the first round of the SUNYAC Playoffs.

He made 15 saves in OT before giving up the GWG, too.

LP was really good at Aquinas before heading to juniors.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Real buzz around RIT right now. 2nd straight sellout at the GPC (4200, after technically clinching the regular season crown last night after Holy Cross's loss) and they put an exclamation point on it by spanking Canisius 9-2.

Back in the days a full Ritter was an experience and an intimidating presence for away teams. Filling the Pollosini takes twice the people and it would be amazing if we could start filling it consistently and create a similar atmosphere

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Hahaha. Nice publicity photo for this UAF player. Don't see him in the penalty list though.

Eat any good rights lately? Save it for the season, bud!

1708837057175.png

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
AHA Quarterfinals are set for next weekend, best of 3.

(11)Robert Morris @ (1)RIT
(8)Canisius @ (2)Holy Cross
(7)Niagara @ (3)Sacred Heart
(5)AIC @ (4)Air Force

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Badgers over-performed expectations this year, but this is very anticlimactic. Now they'll probably draw someone like Quinnipiac, who are killers, and were on a nice run to end the season.

It seemed like the karma cache of all the Tony Granato teams would carry them but alas it was not to be.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It seemed like the karma cache of all the Tony Granato teams would carry them but alas it was not to be.
I'm not expecting a trip to the FF this year. I was at least hoping they'd make a top seed sweat in the 2nd round. That still could happen but they haven't looked sharp since their bye week.

As a fan of the game; this tournament is looking to be great. There are 7 realgud teams finishing the year with a lot of momentum.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
RIT's current form and overall talent and depth says they have it in them for a NCAA run, but Niagara has been their playoff nemesis for a long time now (well, overall nemesis too, but the playoffs are where it matters).

At least it's a best of 3 in our building. This is probably RIT's best squad since the 2010 Frozen Four run (better than the team that knocked off #1 overall Minnesota State in 2015 - although that team was also certainly firing on all cylinders by playoff time as well)

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Nemesis swept away, despite the flu bug running through the locker room. Impressive weekend for RIT.

Atlantic Hockey Championship will be AIC @ RIT for the 15th overall seed in the NCAA tournament at the Polleseni Center. Anything other than a sellout would be a surprise, especially with the Amerks not at home that night. They hit 3300 with a lot of the students still on break for yesterday's game 2.

UPDATE: It sold out in an hour :oops:

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
432465474_817397257093792_354696374390384030_n.jpg

Upstate vs the Big 10.

Nate had a lacrosse game at Potsdam State on Saturday afternoon. We got there early and I drove around the Clarkson campus to see what had changed and to give a little tour to my wife and my youngest.

We saw people walking into Cheel and it was cool to see how the game played out.

One of Nate's teammates has a younger brother who is a freshman on Clarkson's MLax team. I asked his parents after the Morrisville game if the freshman dorms had been updated inside with the exterior updates they had been given. Apparently, they are pretty much the same as they were inside as when I was a freshman in 92-93.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad