GDT: Gee Dee Tee - Anaheim at Buffalo, 12:30 EST

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Missed chances. Brutal giveaways. UPL looking like the old "where'd the puck go?" UPL.

This has to be the low-water mark of the season, dominating the 3rd worst team in the league, and losing. At home.

Can we please have a new coaching staff before sending talented players to achieve stardom elsewhere, again?

Reactions: JLewyB

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I get that results are what get recorded in the standings. But for a fanbase that's already written off whatever tiny chance the Sabres have to make the playoffs, why still agonize over wins & losses? Any victory is just a moral victory at this point.

We absolutely mashed a bad Ducks team today, 83% on the same deserve-to-win-o-meter that gets cited as gospel to detract from "undeserved" wins. Four braindead mistakes and some leaky goaltending cost us two standings points. Those two points are going to evaporate into the ether like all the other points in a season that sadly won't be remembered in detail.

A lot of the young players that I intend on supporting for years to come looked very good today. If you told me that one of Benson and Carlsson was the #2 overall pick last June, I would have had a difficult time guessing blind. JJ has the movements of an actual star at 22 imo. Cozens is back from the dead.

I know I can't argue people out of their own emotions, but I just didn't feel despair today. Disappointment sure, but I also understand why Don didn't commit seppuku at the urging of titans like Matt Bové and Mike Harrington postgame.
Because their losses are the result of the same types of mistakes over and over again. And/or their lack of effort.

If they play with effort and intelligence and still lose, so be it. It's not about agonizing over wins and losses, its about the team not showing they can clean up the issues causing them.

Last year was a learning year, supposedly. This year had more expectations. But unless they get their stuff together... is next year going to actually show improvement?

Nobody knows, and that is the frustrating part. :huh:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I get that results are what get recorded in the standings. But for a fanbase that's already written off whatever tiny chance the Sabres have to make the playoffs, why still agonize over wins & losses? Any victory is just a moral victory at this point.

We absolutely mashed a bad Ducks team today, 83% on the same deserve-to-win-o-meter that gets cited as gospel to detract from "undeserved" wins. Four braindead mistakes and some leaky goaltending cost us two standings points. Those two points are going to evaporate into the ether like all the other points in a season that sadly won't be remembered in detail.

A lot of the young players that I intend on supporting for years to come looked very good today. If you told me that one of Benson and Carlsson was the #2 overall pick last June, I would have had a difficult time guessing blind. JJ has the movements of an actual star at 22 imo. Cozens is back from the dead.

I know I can't argue people out of their own emotions, but I just didn't feel despair today. Disappointment sure, but I also understand why Don didn't commit seppuku at the urging of titans like Matt Bové and Mike Harrington postgame.
I think you nailed it in the first sentence. Results. We want results. We have 13 years of looking for bright spots. We are tired of always being told to look for the good in the bad.

Reactions: VaporTrail

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Because their losses are the result of the same types of mistakes over and over again. And/or their lack of effort.

If they play with effort and intelligence and still lose, so be it. It's not about agonizing over wins and losses, its about the team not showing they can clean up the issues causing them.

Last year was a learning year, supposedly. This year had more expectations. But unless they get their stuff together... is next year going to actually show improvement?

Nobody knows, and that is the frustrating part. :huh:
I mean, three of the goals against were almost entirely the result of individual mistakes by a guy who will be traded in two weeks and likely never step foot in the city of Buffalo again. So I don't see those mistakes as having any bearing on next year.

On the other hand, I saw plenty of good things today from guys that will be here for 3-10 more years. I didn't think there was any lack of effort today. I saw guys motoring and battling with the exception of a handful of usual suspects.
I think you nailed it in the first sentence. Results. We want results. We have 13 years of looking for bright spots. We are tired of always being told to look for the good in the bad.
I get it, but you don't get results by saying "we want results." You get results by giving an effort deserving of results, which they did. That's all they can do, they dominated and were unlucky. Would you have rather they played like shit and won 2-1 to bump the miniscule playoff odds higher?

I just worry about the balance of things. If fans are going to boo them every time they lose at home the rest of the year, no matter the effort, things are going to get really ugly and not in a positive/constructive way.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Let down by a number of players today - EJohnson played poorly, UPL was leaky, Thompson scored but also gave away a goal and missed on a couple of glorious chances, Skinner continues to be MIA.
What do they do about Skinner? If he's not scoring a lot, then he's a huge burden, and it appears he may be slowing down a bit. Not sure what they do if this decline continues. You can't have him anchoring a top-6 line + he's not built for a line with any defensive deployment. Is the hope he can be a solid winger on a secondary scoring line?!

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I get it, but you don't get results by saying "we want results." You get results by giving an effort deserving of results, which they did. That's all they can do, they dominated and were unlucky. Would you have rather they played like shit and won 2-1 to bump the miniscule playoff odds higher?

I just worry about the balance of things. If fans are going to boo them every time they lose at home the rest of the year, no matter the effort, things are going to get really ugly and not in a positive/constructive way.
At what point is is no longer bad luck? How big does the sample size of them losing need to be before it's no longer just them getting unlucky.

Might be just me but I feel like this year we have had a huge amount of games where people are happy to just say we got goalied. Well why is it this team makes every mediocre goalie in the league look like an all-star? Are we just the unluckiest team in the history of the game?

Reactions: yasky

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I don't GAF. Get results or you're getting BOO'ed. If that means fighting and throwing the body like a game 7 playoff game go do it. 4 goals on 15 shots to a team that's been getting routed lately? Pathetic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What do they do about Skinner? If he's not scoring a lot, then he's a huge burden, and it appears he may be slowing down a bit. Not sure what they do if this decline continues. You can't have him anchoring a top-6 line + he's not built for a line with any defensive deployment. Is the hope he can be a solid winger on a secondary scoring line?!

I would assume they continue to let him boat anchor a line for too long. We can hope he's hurt and there is some bounce back but it looks like time has caught up with him bigtime.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I don't GAF. Get results or you're getting BOO'ed. If that means fighting and throwing the body like a game 7 playoff game go do it. 4 goals on 15 shots to a team that's been getting routed lately? Pathetic.
Well, they got routed again today everywhere but the scoreboard. Hence the bad luck, but I'll ask you too: would you have preferred a 2-1 win where the Ducks 83% dominated us and our kids played like shit? Would you have given this Sabres team a round of applause leaving the ice?

Boo good efforts all you want. It's just going to create a toxic environment that causes players to resent the fans. But alas, you don't GAF about that.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Well, they got routed again today everywhere but the scoreboard. Hence the bad luck, but I'll ask you too: would you have preferred a 2-1 win where the Ducks 83% dominated us and our kids played like shit? Would you have given this Sabres team a round of applause leaving the ice?

Boo good efforts all you want. It's just going to create a toxic environment that causes players to resent the fans. But alas, you don't GAF about that.
You let up 4 goals on 15 shots to one of the worst teams in the west (who just beat us for the 2nd time this season and have been outscored 19-4 in their last 4 games)) then your effort wasn't good enough. Sure, we'll give them a standing O for trying though. Maybe even raise a banner to tell them we're happy with losing to bottom feeders that other teams have been beating the tar out of lately so as long as it looks like they're trying out there.

The players apparently already resent us for calling for their coach's head so no loss there. If they can't take playing in a city that wants to win then trade them to...well I can't say where because no one has missed the playoffs for as long as the Sabres have. The arena is already a toxic wasteland and you can blame the fans all you want but the blame is 110% on ownership and management's heads for a multitude of reasons. From boching the Eichel ordeal to hiring staff that look like a deer in headlights. What else you got?

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Maybe we could arrange for him to order a Subway sandwich late on a frigid night in Chicago, then by chance he runs into the Nigerian brothers who are his personal trainers and they attack him leaving him with career-threatening injuries...

A little far fetched perhaps but you gotta have hope.
You let up 4 goals on 15 shots to one of the worst teams in the west (who just beat us for the 2nd time this season and have been outscored 19-4 in their last 4 games)) then your effort wasn't good enough. Sure, we'll give them a standing O for trying though. Maybe even raise a banner to tell them we're happy with losing to bottom feeders that other teams have been beating the tar out of lately so as long as it looks like they're trying out there.

The players apparently already resent us for calling for their coach's head so no loss there. If they can't take playing in a city that wants to win then trade them to...well I can't say where because no one has missed the playoffs for as long as the Sabres have. The arena is already a toxic wasteland and you can blame the fans all you want but the blame is 110% on ownership and management's heads for a multitude of reasons. From boching the Eichel ordeal to hiring staff that look like a deer in headlights. What else you got?
Yeah, figured.

Last edited:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Don't worry, just give them another 13 years and they might almost make it again like last year.

Maybe we could arrange for him to order a Subway sandwich late on a frigid night in Chicago, then by chance he runs into the Nigerian brothers who are his personal trainers and they attack him leaving him with career-threatening injuries...

A little far fetched perhaps but you gotta have hope.

Yeah, figured.
You're on me about booing them while you're joking about Skinner getting attacked. Makes sense.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Don't worry, just give them another 13 years and they might almost make it again like last year.

You're on me about booing them while you're joking about Skinner getting attacked. Makes sense.
TBF he talked a hoax attack.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I apologize, we all deal with disappointment differently I guess. Irreverent humor vs toxic exacting negativity. We'll see who wins.
Fair enough. I think it goes without saying we're all pretty pissed off with this team and rightfully so. No hard feelings

Reactions: HOOats

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
So, the Sabres lost to the Ducks? Again?

Was it mainly because Gibson stood on his head?

If so, then I'm thinking he's being showcased and will be traded by the deadline.

Possibly to Colorado......... :dunno:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
So, the Sabres lost to the Ducks? Again?

Was it mainly because Gibson stood on his head?

If so, then I'm thinking he's being showcased and will be traded by the deadline.

Possibly to Colorado......... :dunno:
I've been saying for a long while now that he'd look good in a Sabres jersey, ironically 🤣

It's hard for me to fault UPL on all 4 goals today, or maybe even any of them for that matter...the defense in front of him stunk like a skunk today

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Missed chances. Brutal giveaways. UPL looking like the old "where'd the puck go?" UPL.

This has to be the low-water mark of the season, dominating the 3rd worst team in the league, and losing. At home.

Can we please have a new coaching staff before sending talented players to achieve stardom elsewhere, again?

I'd much prefer the owner to step out of the damn way and hire more competent hockey minds at the highest level to run the show. I think we should start there and work our way down.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I've been saying for a long while now that he'd look good in a Sabres jersey, ironically 🤣

It's hard for me to fault UPL on all 4 goals today, or maybe even any of them for that matter...the defense in front of him stunk like a skunk today
Can't fault UPL in my mind. He has been good to great for a while now. Every goalie in the league will have a bad game here or there and he has earned the benefit of the doubt. You hope the team in front of them can bail them out when they do have the odd bad game. It didn't happen today. Gotta be tough being a goalie in this league knowing that if you have an off night the team will for sure lose.

Last edited:

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
O/U: 7,000 total season tickets sold next season?

I'm taking the under.

Safe bet. I feel bad for the 5000 or however many it was that signed based on some optimism at the end of last year. Burned. They aren't coming back.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I would assume they continue to let him boat anchor a line for too long. We can hope he's hurt and there is some bounce back but it looks like time has caught up with him bigtime.
He did look ok offensivly before he got hurt, but than again it was the start of the season

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I'd much prefer the owner to step out of the damn way and hire more competent hockey minds at the highest level to run the show. I think we should start there and work our way down.
Sure. The best thing for the franchise would be Terry letting competent hockey professionals run his vanity toy, or to sell to someone who would.

But here in reality-ville a new, proven coaching staff is the single best move the team could realistically make to improve.

Reactions: sabremike

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Sure. The best thing for the franchise would be Terry letting competent hockey professionals run his vanity toy, or to sell to someone who would.

But here in reality-ville a new, proven coaching staff is the single best move the team could realistically make to improve.
I wouldn’t say this is necessarily true either. The margins on this team need to vastly improve as well as the special teams. I have no issue with revamping the assistants next year, addition by subtraction with 6-21-28-75 and bringing up Kulich and bringing more roster additions to add some things we don’t have by trade.

If it’s more of the same come December next year, chop Don.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad