GDT: Russia - USA 8:38PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I never though Americans were such whiners...
It's funny how people from english and french Canada react differently...On RDS there's nothing about any of this crap about the Russian team... :lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Epsilon said:
I mean run over with a solid body hit, you are reading way too much into that. Replace Bertuzzi with someone like Tkachuk if you want. I'm also not advocating that Phaneuf get injured, simply planted on his arse to show people that he's not god.
So you feel if Phaneuf gets knock down, that will prove anything .. As a viewer of the WHL I would have thought you might have seen both sides on Phaneuf hits ...

I think a little PG bitterness in creeping into you posts ... Phaneuf will get a chance to flatten lots of NHL players in his time ..

chicpea*

bleeding blue said:
Haha. Hey I wouldn't be too proud if I were you. "What a players!" Hmmm, see that doesn't work. Yea maybe learn how to speak English.

Typical american.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The Messenger said:
So you feel if Phaneuf gets knock down, that will prove anything .. As a viewer of the WHL I would have thought you might have seen both sides on Phaneuf hits ...

I think a little PG bitterness in creeping into you posts ... Phaneuf will get a chance to flatten lots of NHL players in his time ..

You're missing the point completely. People make it sound like Phaneuf can just arbitrarily take out any player he wants, including powerful guys like Ovechkin. I (and others) are simply pointing out that it's getting tiresome.

Of course, I heard all the same stuff about the "Tootoo train getting Ovechkin" in 2003, and we saw how that turned out.

chicpea*

bleeding blue said:
I really dont care. Coming on and gloating about some tools on Russia showing up the USA is pretty disturbing and you better believe I am going to fire back.

Awesome!

bleeding blue said:
What I saw from the Russians tonight enraged me and I can't believe that the U.S players didn't go out with a fight.
Why? they sucked and are wimps?

bleeding blue said:
I don't know how they took that.
Because they suck :dunno:

bleeding blue said:
When I saw what unfolded I wanted to punch a wall.
Do iT !

bleeding blue said:
Yea sweet, talk about class all you want but it takes a hell of alot of my pride away when I see guys showing up my country and disrespecting it.
Sorry, that takes your "pride away..." ?? Disrespecting your country? what? Personally, I'd be more worried about getting 20 shots on net in the semi-finals.

bleeding blue said:
Yea, maybe I'm a hypocritical American but I really don't care.
You are. Look back to the classy American moves at the Belarus game. Your team is no better dude, don't pretend otherwise.

chicpea*

Zine said:
Boo-Hoo.

Gimme a break, there isn't a more classless team when they lose than the USA.
The national team has certainly proved this numerous times. This team is no different. Slashes, cross-checks to the head, sticks to the face. They also gooned it up at the end of the Belarus game (essentially denying Belarus a well deserved on ice celebration).
You seem oblivious to the fact that it's the USA that is generally the most disrespectful to their opponents nation.
What goes around comes around

ditto

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
chicpea said:
Awesome!

Why? they sucked and are wimps?

Because they suck :dunno:

Do iT !

Sorry, that takes your "pride away..." ?? Disrespecting your country? what? Personally, I'd be more worried about getting 20 shots on net in the semi-finals.

You are. Look back to the classy American moves at the Belarus game. Your team is no better dude, don't pretend otherwise.
*bleeding blue getting owned*

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Mothra said:
as for ESPN...total bias on their part...lets see, they only show US games and even tonight, early in the game, they said the hope Russia doesnt win gold this year

NYR2 said:
ESPN is no big fan of hockey so us U.S. fans are lucky we got this many games. Why is that a problem though? And I HIGHLY doubt the guys doing the game said what you said they did. Give me a break.

I heard it too. The announcer said he hopes Russia doesn't win gold this year, but I think he meant it as he was hoping Russia doesn't advance to the gold medal finals game so that there would be a U.S. vs Canada rematch.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Oh man I missed the biggest HF-fight of this WJC! What a shame I wasn't here! Damn!

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Anyone have this game or the highlights on video on your computer so that you could share them (or somewhere on the internet). I hate the TV here, they always show the wrong games.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Unbiased Canadian said:
Sure it gets annoying when Ovechkin and Malkin showboat...what if it was O;Sullivan...or should I suggest Kessel doing the same thing...you would have throught it was funny.

But it wasn't O'Sullivan or Kessel, was it? I've never seen any hockey player taunt and rub it in the way the Russians have of late. It started in Halifax and it's getting worse. A certain amount of yapping is expected, but the showboating is shameful. A guy like Igor Larionov would be embarrassed by it and all Russian fans should be too.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Macman said:
But it wasn't O'Sullivan or Kessel, was it? I've never seen any hockey player taunt and rub it in the way the Russians have of late. It started in Halifax and it's getting worse. A certain amount of yapping is expected, but the showboating is shameful. A guy like Igor Larionov would be embarrassed by it and all Russian fans should be too.

I just think it's entertaining. We need a little color in the game. Besides, they'll get what they deserve if they lose. If they don't lose, they have every right to show off.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Here's the only thing I don't get. When the Russians were doing this during the ADT CHallenge or whatever it was called, there were at least half a dozen, maybe more, who had the "SHHHH" picture as their avatar. It seemed to me that general consensus was this was hysterical and that's what Canada deserved. Now, I don't know how those who had it as their avatar feel, but this complete 180 turnaround on the subject now that it happened to the US, IN THE US, is interesting.

Personally, I still think it's pretty entertaining. It's happened to "Canada" (albeit a poorly selected QMJHL team) and now to the US. The Russian kids have some flavour to go with their game, so what? All you have to do to do something about it is beat them.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:
Personally, I still think it's pretty entertaining. It's happened to "Canada" (albeit a poorly selected QMJHL team) and now to the US. The Russian kids have some flavour to go with their game, so what? All you have to do to do something about it is beat them.

I'm sorry, but it shouldn't be condoned. I no longer watch the NFL because of the ridiculous showboating, the trash talking, the spiking of balls and dancing when somebody makes a five-yard first down. It's ridiculous and sends a terrible message to children.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The biggest problem I had was the taunting of the fans on the bench not just by the players but the coaches too, and spitting crosses the line. Funny how they act like they hate our country but they all want to come over here to play.

I also think it's funny some Canadians are defending them, let's see what happens before you "throw stones"

Oh and I keep seeing the arguements about Tootoo not doing anything to Ovechkin

The anticipated rematch of last year’s final has lived up to the hype. Both teams have been unrelenting in their attacks, and the referee has been very focused on letting them play their physical styles. Jordin Tootoo sent phenom Alexander Ovechkin reeling to the ice with a booming hit in the period, much to crowds the enjoyment.

Link

Are you trying to say Tootoo leveled Ovechkin but Russia won the game?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Macman said:
I'm sorry, but it shouldn't be condoned. I no longer watch the NFL because of the ridiculous showboating, the trash talking, the spiking of balls and dancing when somebody makes a five-yard first down. It's ridiculous and sends a terrible message to children.

Yes, it will turn your children into serial killers, just like heavy metal, Janet Jackson's boobs and violent video games.

Well, that got a little out of hand. In all fairness, that hideous boob probably did warp some fragile little minds.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Look what the Russians did last night was poor sportsmanship. What the Americans did was classless and vicious and they were pulling the same stuff with Belrus and The Czech Republic. The Russians were sore winners; the Americans sore losers.

The way to shut up the Russian team is to beat them on the scoreboard. It happened when their team toured the CHL and pulled those antics in their first and only win. After losing 5 games, they went home quiet as lambs. (And for that poster that claims French Canada accepts that nonsense - you weren;t listening very attentively to RDS. They're the ones that reminded me of that incident).

But how do you stop the ugly stick swinging, headhunting, sore losing antics from the Americans?

In my books both teams lost when it came to class and sportsmanship.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This was a pretty tough loss to swallow, especially after we were able to tie the game up in the first period, and keep the score 3-2 in Russia's favor for much of the third period. Undisciplined play (57 minutes in penalities!) sealed the deal in this game, and yes, maybe fatigue played a role as well. The stuff at the end of the game was ridiculous, but trying to be objective, I've seen this kind of nonsense from American athletes several times. At least there's a buffer between this game and the bronze medal match, so I hope the U.S. team can put this behind them and take care of the Czechs. A medal would be a really accomplishment at this point IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad