GDT: Russia - USA 8:38PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Glacier said:
If the states did the same thing, it wouldn't bother any of you. Anyone remembering the Americans trashing the hotel in the olympics? Is that class?
They were widely criticized and rightly so. This also happened at the rink and not in the privacy of a hotel room, so I see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't also be criticized.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People People lets not lose focus here

Dimitri Vorobiev... 4 points tonight .... and knock off a net to boot ...

Game 5 (vs. USA): 4 Assists, +1, 2 Shots, 2 PIM
Tournament: 5 Games, 1 Goal, 5 Assists, 6 Points, +8, 9 Shots, 2 PIM

He's now second in the tournament in points among defensemen to Ryan Suter (7), and has a +8 which ranks in the top 4 among defensemen (Syvret, Weber, Ezhov, Vorobiev).

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Am I the only one who is tired of seeing Phaneuf's name used as a verb?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The Russian players definately crossed the line... but come on! How does this turn into Russians and Americans attacking each other? LoL, for one thing how do you make fun of Russians for mediocre English when none of us can probably speak a word of Russian :dunce: .

Anyways, the Russians crossed the line. I hope Canada destroys them (score wise, not injury wise). Let's bring those over confident SOB's back down to earth!

Can't we criticize other teams without attacking a race? Also, if someone attacks your team, that's not an attack on your ethnicity!!

Julia

Apr 25, 2004
Toronto.
www.nhl.ru
Slick Nick said:
You can also stop rooting for Russia, we don't need snitches as fans :p:

Assuming that you would root for Russia in the final... :speechles

ah those leafs fans :D
You assume wrong: I did and always will root for Canadian hockey. And please, GO TO BED... ;)

Burberry Manning

Feb 27, 2002
Summit NJ-The Elite
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
Everyone in this thread is so classy. Making fun of the russians because they don't speak perfect english is so low. People hoping players get injured is pretty disgusting as well. People from all countries showboat and do classless things, so singling out Russia is very far from the truth. American athletes are probably the cockiest and least classy in the world(NFL, NBA players?? '98 Olympics??), so demonizing russians over this incident is not cool. This game the Russians were showboating no doubt, but you don't really know whether the US players were heckling or harassing them or what. If that's the case I would showboat as well.

Based on what I saw tonight, the Russian offense was just too much for the US to handle, and the Russian defense was barely tested at all. As cocky as the Russians are, boy are they fun to watch. This was the last bit of hockey I'll probably see in a while, so this tournament was good while it lasted. Everyone needs to calm down. They celebrated a lot, but it's not like they hurt anyone or killed a child like so many people are acting.
I really dont care. Coming on and gloating about some tools on Russia showing up the USA is pretty disturbing and you better believe I am going to fire back. What I saw from the Russians tonight enraged me and I can't believe that the U.S players didn't go out with a fight. I don't know how they took that. When I saw what unfolded I wanted to punch a wall. Yea sweet, talk about class all you want but it takes a hell of alot of my pride away when I see guys showing up my country and disrespecting it.

If you want to celebrate after a goal and you want to celebrate a win in style than thats cool and I'm all for it. Hell, I played football and dealt with all types of unique little celebrations, and I embrace that. TO is the man for what he does. But there is a differance in celebration for fun, and mockery towards the fans and people that the opposition represents. I really don't know how the Russians got out of that building without a brawl. Yea, maybe I'm a hypocritical American but I really don't care.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
WVpens said:
Am I the only one who is tired of seeing Phaneuf's name used as a verb?

No you arn't. I'm really hoping someone like Bertuzzi or Thornton runs over Phaneuf during his first week in the NHL so that people will shut up about him for a while. Injuring a few junior aged kids with hits does not make you Scott Stevens, Brian Marchment, or Vladimir Konstantinov.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
bleeding blue said:
I really dont care. Coming on and gloating about some tools on Russia showing up the USA is pretty disturbing and you better believe I am going to fire back. What I saw from the Russians tonight enraged me and I can't believe that the U.S players didn't go out with a fight. I don't know how they took that. When I saw what unfolded I wanted to punch a wall. Yea sweet, talk about class all you want but it takes a hell of alot of my pride away when I see guys showing up my country and disrespecting it.

If you want to celebrate after a goal and you want to celebrate a win in style than thats cool and I'm all for it. Hell, I played football and dealt with all types of unique little celebrations, and I embrace that. TO is the man for what he does. But there is a differance in celebration for fun, and mockery towards the fans and people that the opposition represents. I really don't know how the Russians got out of that building without a brawl. Yea, maybe I'm a hypocritical American but I really don't care.
Well at least we have established that T.O is the man. I would hate to go to bed tonite without that out in the open.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
To those Americans who are taking the loss and swallowing it... I respect you.

To those of you who are whining like a baby who hasn't seen a nipple in 3 days.....GROW UP. Your team got smoked by a very talented pair of Russians...heck a very talented team of Russians. Take the PRIDE pill and swallow it.

Sure it gets annoying when Ovechkin and Malkin showboat...what if it was O;Sullivan...or should I suggest Kessel doing the same thing...you would have throught it was funny.

Take things for what they are...a hockey game. So don't sit on the internet and whine all night because Alexander Ovechkin has worked his balls off for 18 years and is now so good that he feels he is in the position to act like a jack ass....that's his right he earned it....with 2 goals and a helper.

Unbiased Canadian

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
i see how it works,
"us" canadians" on "good" side, "them bad" are slavs.
nice, very nice indeed.
not that i care, but i'm used to seen stereotyping growing into kitchen racism from
differing origin rather than watching the sport...

Sting004 said:
And that my friends is the difference between the two. You can be a great player but have the wrong attitude. How many times have we seen this? (Jagr, Yashin, etc) Ovechkin to me will be exactly like those two.

Crosby on the other hand is the exact opposite. A great player with a lot of class (Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman).

I certainly hope, for Ovechkin's sake, he doesn't try that in the NHL. He'd find himself out cold pretty fast :P

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Epsilon said:
No you arn't. I'm really hoping someone like Bertuzzi or Thornton runs over Phaneuf during his first week in the NHL so that people will shut up about him for a while. Injuring a few junior aged kids with hits does not make you Scott Stevens, Brian Marchment, or Vladimir Konstantinov.
Good One ..

That is just what Bertuzzi needs to be associated with a hit like that .. that violates his probation and sends him to jail .. He will be on a real short leash with the NHL .

Perhaps you might have picked a better example .. NO ??

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The Messenger said:
Good One ..

That is just what Bertuzzi needs to be associated with a hit like that .. that violates his probation and sends him to jail .. He will be on a real short leash with the NHL .

Perhaps you might have picked a better example .. NO ??

I mean run over with a solid body hit, you are reading way too much into that. Replace Bertuzzi with someone like Tkachuk if you want. I'm also not advocating that Phaneuf get injured, simply planted on his arse to show people that he's not god.

Julia

Apr 25, 2004
Toronto.
www.nhl.ru
Slick Nick said:
I knew you were silly you ;)

Seichas ljagu spat', vot kak raz po jaschiku kanada-chekhia.. efektivnoe snotvornoje!!!

Ladushki, bez sor..
I ne govori...ja sama chut' ne zasnula...trap-trap...booooooooring1 :cry:
Lady, bez ssor...do Vtornika, sliki!!! ;)

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Epsilon said:
I mean run over with a solid body hit, you are reading way too much into that. Replace Bertuzzi with someone like Tkachuk if you want. I'm also not advocating that Phaneuf get injured, simply planted on his arse to show people that he's not god.

Phanuef will be put in his place soon enough...I'm also tired of everyone reffering to every hit as being Phanuefed.....who ever said it made a good point....he's been hammering 17-18 year olds. My fat Uncle Larry could catch a 17 year old in the trolly tracks....does that mean he is a body checking LORD...no..he's just 300 pound fat man who loves Kraft Dinner and Ground Sausage.

Unbiased Canadian

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
:handclap: :yo: :bow:

Dark Metamorphosis said:
Everyone in this thread is so classy. Making fun of the russians because they don't speak perfect english is so low. People hoping players get injured is pretty disgusting as well. People from all countries showboat and do classless things, so singling out Russia is very far from the truth. American athletes are probably the cockiest and least classy in the world(NFL, NBA players?? '98 Olympics??), so demonizing russians over this incident is not cool. This game the Russians were showboating no doubt, but you don't really know whether the US players were heckling or harassing them or what. If that's the case I would showboat as well.

Based on what I saw tonight, the Russian offense was just too much for the US to handle, and the Russian defense was barely tested at all. As cocky as the Russians are, boy are they fun to watch. This was the last bit of hockey I'll probably see in a while, so this tournament was good while it lasted. Everyone needs to calm down. They celebrated a lot, but it's not like they hurt anyone or killed a child like so many people are acting.

Burberry Manning

Feb 27, 2002
Summit NJ-The Elite
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
To those Americans who are taking the loss and swallowing it... I respect you.

To those of you who are whining like a baby who hasn't seen a nipple in 3 days.....GROW UP. Your team got smoked by a very talented pair of Russians...heck a very talented team of Russians. Take the PRIDE pill and swallow it.

Sure it gets annoying when Ovechkin and Malkin showboat...what if it was O;Sullivan...or should I suggest Kessel doing the same thing...you would have throught it was funny.

Take things for what they are...a hockey game. So don't sit on the internet and whine all night because Alexander Ovechkin has worked his balls off for 18 years and is now so good that he feels he is in the position to act like a jack ass....that's his right he earned it....with 2 goals and a helper.

Unbiased Canadian
Sweet, they won a hockey game. Great. Terrific. I accept that, but I don't accept disrespect to my country, which is exactly what happened at the end of that game. Yea, they can mock and taunt all they want but they should have had a beating delivered to them before leaving the arena.

So Ovechkin and Malkin are sick at hockey, whats your point? They still aren't cool. Let's see them try and take an accounting exam or play me in Beirut. It's a skill, just like juggling. It doesn't give them a free pass to insult a home crowd and get away with it.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
bleeding blue said:

Boo-Hoo.

Gimme a break, there isn't a more classless team when they lose than the USA.
The national team has certainly proved this numerous times. This team is no different. Slashes, cross-checks to the head, sticks to the face. They also gooned it up at the end of the Belarus game (essentially denying Belarus a well deserved on ice celebration).
You seem oblivious to the fact that it's the USA that is generally the most disrespectful to their opponents nation.
What goes around comes around

Last edited:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Well as a Canadian, I'd much rather see the enthusiasm (sp?) of a Satan or Jagr celebrating a goal than boring comatose mouth breathers like Sakic or Gretzky barely lifting up their stick when celebrating an OT win.

Geez, why do most hockey fans have to be such stuck ups? What's wrong with bringing a little bit of excitement into the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad