GDT: Game #51 : KINGS @ BLUEJACKETS -- Bluejackets A LOT, Kings NOT ENOUGH

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Four wins in their last 14 games. That's not the type of run you'd expect from a playoff team. The Kings went from competing atop the the top 3-4 spot in the West to being 5 points removed from 8th place.

Ron*

They're fast approaching .500 hockey even with the 9-1 run included.

They are 29-16-6. They are on pace to fall just 1 point short of their all-time best season, which was 1975 with 105 points.

Fast approaching .500 hockey? What are you smoking? They are 13 games ahead in the loss column and 7 games ahead overall, if you count the 1-pointers as losses.

Give me a ****ing break.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
They are 29-16-6. They are on pace to fall just 1 point short of their all-time best season, which was 1975 with 105 points.

Fast approaching .500 hockey? What are you smoking? They are 13 games ahead in the loss column and 7 games ahead overall, if you count the 1-pointers as losses.

Give me a ****ing break.

You're taking into account the entire season when I specifically mentioned their current down turn plus the 9-1 run.

Reading comprehension.

"On pace for..." is Pejorative Slured. All that matters is how they're playing now and it's very very poorly.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Disagree, Hickey got passed by Voynov, Muzzin, Martinez, but look at what he is doing in NYI, he is playing solid minutes, and playing well, is he better than Voynov, Muzzin or Martinez, no, but Hickey is turning into a solid NHL player.

I don't have an issue with DL's draft history as I was defending the Bernier pick while steering the poster to his worst pick. You proved my point by mentioning how he is playing solid minutes on a team that is not the LA Kings.

The first "reward" for the Kings bottoming out was the #4 overall pick in 2007. DL went off the board and drafted a guy who never played a regular season game for the LA Kings and was not turned into a different asset. He flushed the #4 overall pick down the toilet basicallly and there is no way to spin that fact.

The fact that guys drafted much later than Hickey or, in Muzzin's case, signed as rookie FAs passed him on the depth chart does not mean it was a good pick. The pick sucked then no matter how much we wanted to believe it then (Kings fans embarassed themselves on the WJC forum when Hickey was meh and Subban was killing it by trying to say the WJC is a skills comp or some garbage) and it sucks even more now that the pick turned into absolutely nothing for the LA Kings.

Regardless, I don't have an issue with his drafting record. I don't have an issue with him since the team he put together won the Cup. I have faith in him now and moving forward but, yes, I do fear that his loyalty to certain guys may override what those guys are actually bringing to the ice. Time will tell with that one but I do have faith.

As for people comparing the present to 2012 pre-Carter or any other time the Kings were slumping: of course it looks the same on here as losing is losing. Difference now is that this team won the Cup and then went to the WCF in back-to-back seasons. Winning is expected and four wins in fourteen games should not be acceptable.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Four wins in their last 14 games. That's not the type of run you'd expect from a playoff team. The Kings went from competing atop the the top 3-4 spot in the West to being 5 points removed from 8th place.

What's weird/funny/sad is those four wins are 2x over Van, 1 vs. Boston, 1. vs. STL. The rest are...questionable.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What's weird/funny/sad is those four wins are 2x over Van, 1 vs. Boston, 1. vs. STL. The rest are...questionable.

I truly do hope that it's a sign that this team is saving their best hockey for the playoffs, as we witnessed in 2012. Sure, I prefer they go full tilt every night, all season long, but we know that's not possible, least not with this team. Very few teams have been able to stay atop the league from the drop of the puck to the last game of the playoffs, and the Blackhawks are one of those rare teams that has been able to accomplish that.

Some day I'd like to see the Kings get to that level. Doughty isn't at the level of Keith quite yet, Kopitar isn't at the level of Toews, none of the wingers are at the level of a Patrick Kane or Marian Hossa, I'd say our version of Sharp is Jeff Carter. The Kings don't have an answer on the blueline to the Hawks' depth with Seabrook, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, Oduya all playing behind Keith.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
As for people comparing the present to 2012 pre-Carter or any other time the Kings were slumping: of course it looks the same on here as losing is losing.

Difference now is that this team won the Cup and then went to the WCF in back-to-back seasons. Winning is expected and four wins in fourteen games should not be acceptable.

without Carter and King, this team would likely be out of a playoff spot.

2 years ago who would've thunk that?! Was King even playing up here in Jan 2012? probably not.

Yes, winning is expected and it's ******* me off!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad