Status
Not open for further replies.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Russia will be fine as long as they beat Latvia

and Kazakhstan...but neither should be a problem for that Russian offence, Slovakia was a suprise, but I level it with Sweden vs Canada last olympics, watch the Russians clean up from here (but perhaps be in a struggle tonight)

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I recind my previous post that the Czechs might miss out on the medal round. I thought there were byes in this sucker, but no. So they just have to finish in the top 4 to get to the quarters. Italy and Germany should still be the odd guys out in group A. The Swiss will likely finish 3-2 in the round robin. Will the Swiss now hold a tie breaker on the Czechs, or is goals for or goal differential the first tie-breaker?

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
calgarylen13 said:
and Kazakhstan...but neither should be a problem for that Russian offence, Slovakia was a suprise, but I level it with Sweden vs Canada last olympics, watch the Russians clean up from here (but perhaps be in a struggle tonight)

Afaik Finland beat Russia last time around too.. and it still ended with Russian medal. These round robin games are really not good barometers. You basically need one win and one tie to get to playoffs, and then all the preliminary games are void of meaning. But ok, we haven't got anythin to talk about if we disregard these games so.. I guess we have to speculate :sarcasm:

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
TheChief said:
Today really showed that the Czechs need Patrick Elias.

Also Milan Hedjuk needs to get going.
Avs fans have been saying the same thing since last year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
calgarylen13 said:

If anyone loses to Kazakhstan they should just leave and go home directly after the game

RuuhkaTukka

Feb 1, 2006
I´m really happy for the Swiss. They seem to be in the same position Finnish team was earlier. So close but still so far. I hope this win gives them more confidence and they will someday become part of big 8!

:handclap:

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
GuloGulo said:
Afaik Finland beat Russia last time around too.. and it still ended with Russian medal. These round robin games are really not good barometers. You basically need one win and one tie to get to playoffs, and then all the preliminary games are void of meaning. But ok, we haven't got anythin to talk about if we disregard these games so.. I guess we have to speculate :sarcasm:

Exactly mate, these games only count for the minnows hoping to sneak in a spot, or the only team in a real pickle at the moment is USA (because, they still have to play Sweden, Slovakia, Russia after Kazakhstan tonight, the same teams Latvia have to play and it seems they will be decided by a tie breaker, if the scores go as expected...but i'm sure something will pull USA in. But yeah its just speculation as are all my predictions. But lets hope for more exciting upsets like this one by the Swiss to make it more interesting!

Radulov for Czar*

I heard Vokoun was shaky, Zidlicky played a good game, but how did Martin Erat look?

OilerOlli*

It doesn't matter, in the end Germany beats Swiss and Italy and so Germany will be in the quarterfinals and Switzerland not! :p:

harper

Feb 4, 2006
calgarylen13 said:

I am tempted to agree. And i do agree with your comment that they might struggle tonight, and thus may end up in 3rd or so of their division...but that doesnt mean that later they wont be ready. they have a tough spot tonight, after a quite physical game last night.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
chiavsfan said:
I said the same...if this current "posessed" Aebi doesn't come back to the NHL this way, I may have to punch him

Budaj also played well yesterday though...so our goalie situation looks good

Don't you wonder sometimes if Aebi, Budaj and our players play well in November/ December? We wouldn't be hanging around 6-8 playoff spot :blush:

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Hemsky4PM said:
I recind my previous post that the Czechs might miss out on the medal round. I thought there were byes in this sucker, but no. So they just have to finish in the top 4 to get to the quarters. Italy and Germany should still be the odd guys out in group A. The Swiss will likely finish 3-2 in the round robin. Will the Swiss now hold a tie breaker on the Czechs, or is goals for or goal differential the first tie-breaker?
First tie breaker is goal differential between teams that are level on points. But it could end up being a 3-way tie.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
SectionX said:
wow this is the biggest upset since belarus beat sweden!!!

It's not of the same magnitude.

Round-robin games don't have the same significance.

As long as the Czechs still make the next round, it's relatively insignificant, although they may have a harder road to the final.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
harper said:
I am tempted to agree. And i do agree with your comment that they might struggle tonight, and thus may end up in 3rd or so of their division...but that doesnt mean that later they wont be ready. they have a tough spot tonight, after a quite physical game last night.

3rd is enough...and enough to draw a sub-par team from the other side of the draw...the Czechs? or Canada? or Finland? All of which Russia can/will beat (I believe). Just gotta wait for these games to pass, then anything can happen.

Golden Slumbers

Dec 26, 2005
Ottawa
This made me smile, good for the Swiss!

They proved that hard work and team play can do a world of good, even against Jagr and co. See what happens when Hasek gets injured?! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad