WJC: GDT: Canada – Slovakia (6:30 p.m. ET)

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
“Gord when you see Bédard dance through the big body presence of Simon Némèc, who was labouring, it’s reminiscent of when he did that playing for Burnaby Winter Club atom AA coached by Jimmy Smith”
North Shore Winter Club….and most likely AAA…..
Somehow, somewhere, Pierre McGuire has a photo of Bedard in Maple Leaf PJ's.

Die hard Canucks fans would not be caught dead in anything Leaf related…

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
16???? Wow!

We'll / Canada will be lucky to have 2.
I'm never ahead on this type of thing, and know pretty much nothing about the new crop that might appear next year. Can't really count on eligible players that are in the NHL being released by their teams, that's always a guess. Bedard could possibly be an NHLer next year.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm never ahead on this type of thing, and know pretty much nothing about the new crop that might appear next year. Can't really count on eligible players that are in the NHL being released by their teams, that's always a guess. Bedard could possibly be an NHLer next year.
We can all but guarantee Bedard won't be back.

Canada will be lucky to have 3 returnees : Fantilli, Wright and Korchinski.

My guess : It will be 2 - with Wright and Bedard in the NHL.

Last edited:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
That's always your lame response. You don't really understand what hockey is, yet you troll like nobody's business. Stick it.
"You don't really understand what hockey is" LMFAO Take your elitist nonsense and shove it up your ass bud.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm a bit late to the party, but what an incredibly entertaining game. Well deserved win from Canada, hats off to Slovaks for a great effort and fantastic tournament.

Tyson Hinds is far and away Canada's best defender IMO. It feels like an adventure with anyone else out there.

Great game from Stankoven and Bedard. I thought Bedard struggled a bit in from the middle of the 2nd period through the 3rd, but once OT hit I had a pretty good feeling he was due to do something special with all that time and space. He's gonna be a perennial top 5-10 scorer and Richard favorite, and may even challenge to win a few Art Ross's once McDavid starts to age out.

I really really didn't like that crosschecking penalty with 30 secs left in a tie game, it wasn't even that egregious.

I do feel bad for the Slovaks, I think they could be even better next year, especially if Simon Nemec is made available to participate again. Ultimately the better team won, but the 3v3 overtime gave a huge edge to more skilled Canadian team IMO. 3v3 is a terrible way to end these games.

If they can't do 5v5 until someone scores (for obvious scheduling reasons), I propose they do a commercial free 20 mins 5v5, 5 mins 4v4, 5 mins 3v3, and then a 3 man shootout. It would only add a maximum of ~40 more minutes to any QF game, they'd just need to flexibility to delay the next game's start by ~15-30 mins if the teams somehow don't score in any of the OTs.

Plan for 4:38PM and 8:38PM puck drops.

4:30PM broadcast start
4:38PM puck drop
~2h 20m regulation
~48m OT intermission + 5v5 OT
~15m of 4v4 + 3v3 OT
~10m shootout
Game 1 ends at ~8:11PM (Do postgame awards between next game intermission?)
~14m to clear teams and cut ice
~20m warmups for Game 2 start at 8:25PM
~12m to cut ice
Game 2 puck drop at 9:00PM

That's a worse case of a ~23 min delay and ensures a more integrous result.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Just getting in after a long drive home. Just want to thank the Slovaks for their effort as the part they played led to one of the best games Halifax has ever seen.

What a game of hockey.
Was it as awesome as it looked on TV?

"You don't really understand what hockey is" LMFAO Take your elitist nonsense and shove it up your ass bud.
Play nice, boys. :) Life's too short.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tyson Hinds is far and away Canada's best defender IMO. It feels like an adventure with anyone else out there.
I think that's one of the biggest differences between this year's team and the top teams we had in the past. No one on the blueline looks like they're capable of taking over games. In the past, the top teams we had would have 1 or two guys who already looked like men against boys and just dominated the game. To use NHL-jargon, TC looks like it's got a bunch of #3/4 defensemen but no one standing out as a #1 or even high end #2.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Was it as awesome as it looked on TV?

Play nice, boys. :) Life's too short.
The atmosphere was crazy... I was in Halifax for the last one but that didn't match tonight for tension. Then to have Halifax cult hero Bedard undress the Slovaks to win it... blew the roof off and you could feel the floor move under your feet.

Slovaks were brave and were with inches of winning but for the Milic double save.

Semis will be unbelievably tense.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The atmosphere was crazy... I was in Halifax for the last one but that didn't match tonight for tension. Then to have Halifax cult hero Bedard undress the Slovaks to win it... blew the roof off and you could feel the floor move under your feet.

Slovaks were brave and were with inches of winning but for the Milic double save.

Good for you, PC. Glad it was amazing. :thumbu:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think that's one of the biggest differences between this year's team and the top teams we had in the past. No one on the blueline looks like they're capable of taking over games. In the past, the top teams we had would have 1 or two guys who already looked like men against boys and just dominated the game. To use NHL-jargon, TC looks like it's got a bunch of #3/4 defensemen but no one standing out as a #1 or even high end #2.
So many high danger chances allowed by this D group in that game. Both of the Slovaks last two goals were just guys wide open in the slot from blown coverage. And lots of odd man rush opportunities and broken plays where the Slovaks simply outworked them along the boards.

Milic had to be a lot better than he had to be

Reactions: ORRFForever

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Milic has looked very good. He is playing very economically, not flailing around and usually seems to be positioned very well and stable.
I would have loved to be there for this. I know Nova Scotia very well and will plan to be there for the next time they host it, which I hope will be soon.

Edit: As for Bedard's goal, the great ones always recognize what they are being given and then take it.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad