WJC: GDT: Canada – Slovakia (6:30 p.m. ET)

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia

Quarterfinal: Canada takes on Slovakia​

Short preview by NHL (source):
NHL can - svk.jpg

Tournament stats Slovakia & Canada (source: eliteprospects.com)
canada elite.jpg

svk elite.jpg

Reactions: Czechboy

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Hopefully it is a classic 5-4 or 6-5 type of game. with some Bedard heroics late to secure the win and a trip to the semis.

З Новим роком!

Reactions: Sensators

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Slovakia has never beat Canada in juniors and its best chance would have probably been this year if it had its best team available. With Slafkovsky, Demek, Honzek missing, it's high odds of Canada extending the streak.

Reactions: bbfan419

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Canada the clear cut favorite here.

That said, if we get some early PP looks and get the lead, we could absolutely make this interesting.

Our goaltending was a bit suspect at the beginning of the tourney but is great now.

Offense is firing on all cylinders, we have no problems scoring.

Defense is prone to making game changing mistakes but let's be honest at this level which defense isn't?

Nemec is going to have be a leader both on and off ice if we're to make this work against Canada.

Reactions: jj cale and novisor

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
As a Slovak, there is one particular scenario that I would like to see. Canada will lead by one or two goals for most of the match, howerer, a few minutes before the end, Slovakia will have the opportunity to play a power play, from which they will tie the game. At that point, anything can happen.

Reactions: degustator

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll say 5-3 Canada. Good Slovakian team and I'm not sure about this Canadian team's ability to keep pucks out of its net unless it is going full throttle. First time in a while I could actually see Slovakia winning, though it would certainly be an upset.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This is either 6-0 Canada and Bedard getting closer to Forsberg

OR

4-3 Slovakia

I have no idea. Good luck to both of you. I do think Slovakia is capable of pulling off the upset as goalies have been good and some nice players. I expect Nemec to also play about 30 minutes as they shorten the bench and go for it. I expect more shot blocks and more pushes and nudges after every whistle... come out Pissy Slovakia!

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
This is a similar situation to the semifinal in 2015 for me, Slovakia have one of their strongest editions like that year. They keep it close like in 2015 but wear down and the individual brilliance of McDavid (in this case Bédard) takes over

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Canada will win no matter what but please, two quarters were so boring for the neutral hockey fan. Please, let Dvorsky, Sykora, Honzek or Nemec score 2 goals early so this game can be a bit more exciting.

Let's go!

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad