GDT: GDT: Austria vs Česko

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Tied with Sweden with plus 12 and 6 points now. Mind you, our Swedish friends have yet to play Canada.

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs 9 goals
Austria 8 shots

Kulich POTG

We now enter murderers row!

We never beat Sweden
We never beat Germany who are 3-0 since 2014 against us

Then a quarter and we never win those.lol

I think the loser of Slovakia and Latvia gets Austria in a relegation series.. ouch!

Reactions: Starships

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Watching the team Austria, I am afraid they would have a problem to avoid relegation even from the Div.IA. They were trying to score at least one goal in the 3rd period, but quality was simply not there. Rohrer, Reinbacher are very good players as individuals but they are completely alone on this team, and it was apparent they know they can't do anything just by themselves, were looking quite like "OK, let's skate it somehow through the game, whan can we do?"

Talking about the Czech team, it was nice that they came with the right mindset into the game, scored a lot of goals, seems that nobody got injured. Evaluating individual performances is meaningless after a game such as this. The difference in quality was too giant between the teams. The games vs. Sweden, but also vs. Germany are both going to be real tough matches.

Reactions: Czechboy

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Watching the team Austria, I am afraid they would have a problem to avoid relegation even from the Div.IA. They were trying to score at least one goal in the 3rd period, but quality was simply not there. Rohrer, Reinbacher are very good players as individuals but they are completely alone on this team, and it was apparent they know they can't do anything just by themselves, were looking quite like "OK, let's skate it somehow through the game, whan can we do?"

Talking about the Czech team, it was nice that they came with the right mindset into the game, scored a lot of goals, seems that nobody got injured. Evaluating individual performances is meaningless after a game such as this. The difference in quality was too giant between the teams. The games vs. Sweden, but also vs. Germany are both going to be real tough matches.
I agree that Div 1 A would be interesting. I watched Austria practice 3 times and they hardly missed a pass... It looked like stage fright these last two games as they could not make the most basic of plays... if there was a decision to make ....they made the wrong one more often than not.

To be fair... Sweden and the Czechs played high quality hockey the past two days. Really high.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

giphy-downsized-large.gif

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I watched Austria practice 3 times and they hardly missed a pass... It looked like stage fright these last two games as they could not make the most basic of plays... if there was a decision to make ....they made the wrong one more often than not.
Some players were looking frightened indeed. In both games. Maybe they became kind of scared of the pace of the games? That happens sometimes. You are trying to catch on the pace set by a highly skilled team, and the result is that you begin to panic even on basic plays where it is no need to hasten that much. A defenseman has the puck on his stick in the own zone, should have his head up, make sure the he controls the puck comfortably, and then pass it. There is enough time for it. But his mindset is "my God, evertything around is happening so fast", so he just throws the puck away from him in panic. Psychology is playing a huge role for sure. Players can improve this only as they are facing strong opponents, the Austrian players can profit even from the blowouts at this WJC in this respect.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Czechs 9 goals
Austria 8 shots

Kulich POTG

We now enter murderers row!

We never beat Sweden
We never beat Germany who are 3-0 since 2014 against us

Then a quarter and we never win those.lol

I think the loser of Slovakia and Latvia gets Austria in a relegation series.. ouch!

Why are you worried? They've already dominated and humiliated Canada's team for the ages?

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I really don't mind the Michigan attempts... I was just glad we stopped both. On another good Canada note.. Milic shut us out! He played great. Heard a guy from the team just say they didn't respect us enough and that's what I think happened. FTR... don't blame Canada for taking us lightly becuase they always slaughter us. I don't want a rematch.
The team and broadcast all took them very lightly. Typically every year they will do a small preview of the opposing team. Who to watch and who’s the best player.
They did NOTHING this year.

If you don’t watch junior hockey, that Canadian broadcast made you think it was going to be a walk in the park and that the Czechs are a below average team.
Serves them right.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Czechs are on a mission this year and hockey is a momentum game. Power play works, leading players have been good from day one and Suchanek (most important player) getting two wins right off the bat. Austria didn't test him at all, but win is a win and mentally it's important.

I could see Czechs winning gold this year.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Austria has too many players completely developed in Austria, in teams that are not Red Bull Salzburg.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Austria has too many players completely developed in Austria, in teams that are not Red Bull Salzburg.
Where else do you expect them to find players? They have like 3 quality players on the team. Of the others that are in North America, they're in relatively unimpressive junior leagues like NCDC. Very few players on the roster are good enough to make a Canadian Major Junior, Canadian Junior A or USHL roster (and pure Junior A and USHL kids don't really make the rosters of any top 6 country).

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Where else do you expect them to find players? They have like 3 quality players on the team. Of the others that are in North America, they're in relatively unimpressive junior leagues like NCDC. Very few players on the roster are good enough to make a Canadian Major Junior, Canadian Junior A or USHL roster (and pure Junior A and USHL kids don't really make the rosters of any top 6 country).
I don't expect them to find players or to avoid relegation, but the development they got was simply subpar. As 15-16 year olds their should have gone abroad.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't expect them to find players or to avoid relegation, but the development they got was simply subpar. As 15-16 year olds their should have gone abroad.
What would going abroad do? The players aren’t very good. Packing a bag and leaving home to go play in a second rate North American junior league because they can’t make a better one won’t do much for them.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
There are some major junior-based kids not making even the Latvian roster.

Austria is a prime example of a country stuck in the middle-tier trap. They have a self-sufficient minor pro league that is good enough to attract domestic prospects like a big old magnet, but that also means those same prospects are simply not being trained and developed efficiently, as the quality of their domestic system and coaches is just mediocre. They're all hitting a ceiling and are bound to become minor pro players at best.

And the exceptions are too few and too far between to really make a difference at any level.

They should be going abroad at a younger age. The number of players, rinks and hockey teams in Austria is quite large and they should be a much better hockey side than they are right now.

Reactions: ellja3

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs are on a mission this year and hockey is a momentum game. Power play works, leading players have been good from day one and Suchanek (most important player) getting two wins right off the bat. Austria didn't test him at all, but win is a win and mentally it's important.

I could see Czechs winning gold this year.
We haven't medalled in 17 years... We just want to win a quarter! But thank youand nice win yesterday.

Reactions: karhukissa

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Tied with Sweden with plus 12 and 6 points now. Mind you, our Swedish friends have yet to play Canada.
Will be interesting to see if Canada delivers a statement performance tonight that shows they are now ready to play hockey or continues to struggle like last game playing bad hockey and just basically pinch one out due to superior firepower.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
The team and broadcast all took them very lightly. Typically every year they will do a small preview of the opposing team. Who to watch and who’s the best player.
They did NOTHING this year.

If you don’t watch junior hockey, that Canadian broadcast made you think it was going to be a walk in the park and that the Czechs are a below average team.
Serves them right.

I wouldn't blame 17-19 y.o. kids for not taking their opponents seriously. They are young boys who hear "hey, you are going to be a NHL star soon" from everywhere. The coaches have (should have) their influence on players this young. I remember talking to a former soccer coach who had been coaching both men a juniors, as he told to me: "You know, I actually like coaching youth teams more than a pro league team. With the juniors, you can actually contribute to the kids' growth as persons. pro league millionaires don't give a ***". I think there was a lot of thruth about it. So, if junior players come to the game without due respect given to their opponents, it is the choaching staff who is to blame at the first place. Plus, the overall atmosphere around the team, including the experts and journalists.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I wouldn't blame 17-19 y.o. kids for not taking their opponents seriously. They are young boys who hear "hey, you are going to be a NHL star soon" from everywhere. The coaches have (should have) their influence on players this young. I remember talking to a former soccer coach who had been coaching both men a juniors, as he told to me: "You know, I actually like coaching youth teams more than a pro league team. With the juniors, you can actually contribute to the kids' growth as persons. pro league millionaires don't give a ***". I think there was a lot of thruth about it. So, if junior players come to the game without due respect given to their opponents, it is the choaching staff who is to blame at the first place. Plus, the overall atmosphere around the team, including the experts and journalists.
Yes that’s a very good point. Coaching staff is certainly to blame for much of it.
I think they will learn quickly though and dominate the rest of the way.

Reactions: BigBadBoar

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
There are some major junior-based kids not making even the Latvian roster.

Austria is a prime example of a country stuck in the middle-tier trap. They have a self-sufficient minor pro league that is good enough to attract domestic prospects like a big old magnet, but that also means those same prospects are simply not being trained and developed efficiently, as the quality of their domestic system and coaches is just mediocre. They're all hitting a ceiling and are bound to become minor pro players at best.

And the exceptions are too few and too far between to really make a difference at any level.

They should be going abroad at a younger age. The number of players, rinks and hockey teams in Austria is quite large and they should be a much better hockey side than they are right now.
Ask yourself how hockey ranks among other sports in Austria. Yes, the climatic conditions in the part of Austria where there are mountains will be better than, for example, in Vienna. However, sports such as ski jumping or downhill skiing will still be popular in Austria. Maybe Austria would need its own Draisaitl or Grubauer. Marco Rossi or Marco Kasper are too few to make hockey more popular.

The problem with the coaches is one of the many reasons why their hockey cannot take a faster step forward. They have Salzburg or Vienna, but these clubs prefer ready-made players, they have no patience with youngsters. And it's also a country with good infrastructure, you can drive all over Austria in a few hours, so you can sleep in your own bed every night. They also do not have a chance to build a stronger junior league, and Austrian players are not interesting enough for Finnish or Swedish clubs, so they are left with options such as Switzerland or Germany, or the USA/Canada. And it's not at all certain that playing overseas will help them become better players.

It could be better with Austria at the WJC sometime in 2025 or 2026, they should have more individual quality and not have to go 11-0 like they do now. That is, if they are in the elite division at that time.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Will be interesting to see if Canada delivers a statement performance tonight that shows they are now ready to play hockey or continues to struggle like last game playing bad hockey and just basically pinch one out due to superior firepower.
I think it'll be a very system based game and not as exciting as, say smoking Denmark 75-0 or whatever it was. Coach is going to focus on playing the Canadian way and absolutely suffocating the opponent and eliminating all opportunity (kind of like the last best on best with Babcock where it just didn't feel like anyone would ever get a shot on net). I can't see Canada losing again until the semi's at earliest (unlikely). So I don't expect 10-0 but I expect Germany to just not see Milic. Less inidividual play (which, again, I didn't mind becasue you have some insanely good individuals). Germany is very well structured and kept Sweden to 1-0. I'll say 5-0 Canada. I imagine the coach is looking for the shutout more than how many goals Canada scores.

I asked this on a board and never got an answer... are the Czechs the first non contender (big 5) team to beat Canada? Ever? Can you remember a Slovak, German, Austria, Latvian, Denmark, Swiss or Japan win in history? I think we are the first.lol

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Talking about hockey in Austria: They have (I believe) 3 junior teams playing in the AlpsHL. I am not sure if this is the right way.

They let juniors play vs. men, who usually have greater physical strength and more experience, but not so much of skill. Reminds me a bit of the Slovak national team development program (U20 team playing men in the Slovak Extraliga), which didn't bring the expected results, or the Czech "Dukla Project" (a lot of U20 players concetrated in one team playing the men's second league), which was recently stopped because it didn't bring the expected results either.

I think that junior players need to develop specific skills in specific age, and playing full grown, muscular guys who are often not so great skaters, stickhandlers and so on doesn't help them develop these skills. The juniors are mostly getting smashed around the boards, desperately trying not to being outmuscled, often literally out-wrestled, and have a little room to play the kind hockey they need to play to make progress. If there are a few juniors on a men's team roster, it is OK. But I am sceptical on fully or almost fully junior teams playing vs. men, be it in "lower" leagues.

What do you think?

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hillarious tweet from Czech people.. Kulich got a hat trick and not one hat was thrown on the ice.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad