GDT: GDT #8 Detroit Red Wings vs New York Islanders | October 30th | 7:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Get spicey, add some Quenville or Babcock.

Who are these alternatives? There’s not much veterans (Gallant?) sitting on the sideline. You can’t promote McLean to take the spot or put in another ‘hot’ assistant.
We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but Quenneville speaking at that NHL GM/Coaches meeting last month seemed to open the door to his return. If ownership put out feelers and there's interest then Lambert's short leash could be more like a choker collar.

It's Lou so who really knows but I think he'll have more time than that. Now, if they were currently sitting at like 1-5-2, yeah I'd say he has about 9 games to the team on track.
It depends on the circumstances. If there's a HOF level alternative, it might not take 1-5-2 (or anything close to that).

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The islanders do not need bad attention with either
Really bizarre, that in other leagues fans cheer on relentlessly players of suspect character (domestic abuse, to name one), here the NHL and its fans tip toe around things - boomer Gordon says it all the time, the NHL media is brutal whereas the media in the other leagues just carry on with the news cycle.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but Quenneville speaking at that NHL GM/Coaches meeting last month seemed to open the door to his return. If ownership put out feelers and there's interest then Lambert's short leash could be more like a choker collar.

It depends on the circumstances. If there's a HOF level alternative, it might not take 1-5-2 (or anything close to that).
The Babcock thing probably pushed back a team or two considering Quenneville - although, the Babcock thing seems self inflicted, but also seems to have had some back channel noise based on some ex-players really publicly hating on the guy and finding a way to dig back at him - it just blew bigger than anyone probably thought.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I understand what you're saying but we can't completely ignore the individuals. Horvat is a veteran with a great track record defensively. He made a mistake and/or an unfortunate event happened. It happens, that's part of the game.

When it comes to Bolduc or Aho the issue is that they attempted to stand someone up at the blue line but failed. If they cannot execute that game plan then that shouldn't be the game plan if they're in the lineup. This is why I'm so confused by what you're advocating because there seems to be a lack of consistency on when you want it applied.

Bolduc makes a play at the blue line and it directly leads to a play you don't like by Aho because he's put in a terrible position. "A" leads to "B" but you're only focusing on "B." You're going to get more of "B" if you don't correct "A" but you can't correct it because it's what you're advocating for.

With lesser players like these two these mistakes will be more common than the one Horvat made.

You're painting a broad stroke with these systemic breakdowns. Each was very different and none were really what you originally described (collapsing around the goalie).

The first goal was a misplay by Bolduc at the blue line.
The second goal Pelech tried to pick off the cross ice pass and didn't.
Then there's Wahlstrom who just had unfortunate luck on a bouncing puck. Bouncing pucks aren't systemic.

There's an issue with the team losing momentum for sure. I don't disagree there, but I don't think being more aggressive is going to fix that. Defensive systems don't work for 50 minutes at a time and then start to fail in the final 10 minutes because it's a systemic issue. That's an execution issue most likely, unless they are really told to play differently but I didn't see any indication of that last night.

If you prefer man to man I take no issue with that. At least that is something I can wrap my head around even if it isn't something I'd do. Man to man leaves players on islands a lot more and I'm not sure we have the skaters for that style. Imagine Lee being responsible for Makar? :laugh:

Do you believe in blocking shots or not? I'm of the Tortorella school and believe in blocking everything you can. Some coaches don't like that at all though.

Also, just wanted to mention that I was wrong about the Dobson play. I was re-watching and his cross-ice pass that was picked off in the offensive zone was on the possession before the goal was scored. It went into the Islanders end and then the Islanders had another offensive rush before it came back and in the net.
Two points. It’s not so much that I want to be more aggressive when they have the lead but to maintain that level of aggression to hold onto the lead. Don’t give the opposing team a chance to regroup. Both teams get tired so that’s never an excuse.

In regards to blocking shots. I’ve not seen this teams defensemen as great shot blockers or maybe even willing to block shots. The only thing they are blocking is Sorokin’s vision. The system doesn’t seem to fit this groups makeup. That’s a tall order for any coach to tell the defensemen to sacrifice the body against that bullet. If they are not good at shot blocking change the system. Don’t leave our goaltenders vulnerable.

In regards to man on man versus zone defense a hybrid is probably what this team needs depending upon who’s on the ice and/or the situation but they can’t continue with the present predicament of allowing our goaltenders to be pelted with shots late in the game all the whilst being screened by our own defenders blowing leads left and right. Maybe man on man coverage closer to the blue line but box out when the play is down low- like the Bolts. Straight out man on man is being phased out in the modern NHL though the Panthers made it all the way to the Finals last year with man on man defense.

Having bodies in front of Sorokin is his kryptonite. Clear those bodies out of there! With Sorokin the focus should not be keeping shots to the perimeter but clearing the front of the net just so that he sees the puck. Mayfield is good at this so they do miss him.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Mistakes are going to happen from time to time so I'm not going to blame individual players like Bolduc or Aho for lost games just I won't blame Horvat for coughing up the puck in OT. This was the least of their problems.

When there is a systematic breakdown in D zone late in game after game that's predictable then I start to worry. When I see a team frequently losing momentum and mental toughness then that's a problem.

In regards to the latter I’ve already addressed their problems with scoring and it revolves around not playing too conservative a game. Not every line has to aggressively forecheck. Our more skilled lines should try to score off the rush with the dman jumping into the play. We are seeing more of this under Lambert more recently to his credit. Mentally speaking they need to stick to what is working for 3 periods. Like clockwork they inexplicably turtle deciding somewhere in third periods to rely sole on zone defense to play out a game. It always fails. The best defense is a good offense. Play to win. Don’t play not to lose.

In regards to the former. The Isles have to move away from an anchor defense in front of Sorokin. It's causing more problems than helping and convert their system closer towards man on man coverage or a hybrid system when the opposing team enters the zone. Much like the Lightning deploy. Two men on either side of the net allowing the opposing team's easy entry into the D zone zone. It's just messing up Sorokin's game and playing to the opponent's hands. As anyone observes with Sorokin. He's phenomenal if he see's the puck, but the anchor system is blocking his view and I would prefer more man to man coverage or at the very least a hybrid system over zone defense . Our current highly conservative defensive system failed at the most inopportune moment. Again it requires trust with our goaltenders and we have possibly the best tandem in the league.
The idea for the D reamains keeping everything on the outside towwards the boards. They aren’t always able to do that. In yesterday’s case the Red Wings gained the zone easily many times and were able to control the puck. In the 1st 40 minutes the Isles were good at funneling the play away from the high danger areas and to behind the net.

When the floodgates opened, the mistakes happened, miscommunications occurred, and it appeared the Isles were getting cute with their passes for zone exits and it blew up in their faces.

Also, you have to wonder how much Clutterbuck missing for 10 minutes and Lambert line juggling with a 2-0 lead hurt the back end.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Torts would have been good if the flyers cut bait last year. Hopefully the fellas rally around this tough loss and start playing balls to the wall soon

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Torts would have been good if the flyers cut bait last year. Hopefully the fellas rally around this tough loss and start playing balls to the wall soon
The Isles November schedule is littered with poor performing and/struggling teams. Obviously, some other top teams too.

As I mentioned earlier, the Isles really had a chance to go 6-2 in October.

The Isles can definitely go 9-5 over the 14 games in November.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
The idea for the D reamains keeping everything on the outside towwards the boards. They aren’t always able to do that. In yesterday’s case the Red Wings gained the zone easily many times and were able to control the puck. In the 1st 40 minutes the Isles were good at funneling the play away from the high danger areas and to behind the net.

When the floodgates opened, the mistakes happened, miscommunications occurred, and it appeared the Isles were getting cute with their passes for zone exits and it blew up in their faces.

Also, you have to wonder how much Clutterbuck missing for 10 minutes and Lambert line juggling with a 2-0 lead hurt the back end.

Which also points to our terrible discipline, which we can't afford.

Reactions: MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
In regards to blocking shots. I’ve not seen this teams defensemen as great shot blockers or maybe even willing to block shots. The only thing they are blocking is Sorokin’s vision. The system doesn’t seem to fit this groups makeup. That’s a tall order for any coach to tell the defensemen to sacrifice the body against that bullet. If they are not good at shot blocking change the system. Don’t leave our goaltenders vulnerable.

5th in the NHL in blocked shots last year. 6th so far this year. Our goalies seem to be having success as well so not sure what the issue is here.

In regards to man on man versus zone defense a hybrid is probably what this team needs depending upon who’s on the ice and/or the situation but they can’t continue with the present predicament of allowing our goaltenders to be pelted with shots late in the game all the whilst being screened by our own defenders blowing leads left and right. Having bodies in front of Sorokin is his kryptonite. Clear those bodies out of there! With Sorokin the focus should not be keeping shots to the perimeter but clearing the front of the net just so that he sees the puck. Mayfield is good at this so they do miss him.
How does a defenseman clear bodies out of the crease if he himself avoids the crease? Defensemen inadvertently screening their goalie or having pucks bounce off of them and going into the goal is not unique to the Islanders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
5th in the NHL in blocked shots last year. 6th so far this year. Our goalies seem to be having success as well so not sure what the issue is here.

How does a defenseman clear bodies out of the crease if he himself avoids the crease? Defensemen inadvertently screening their goalie or having pucks bounce off of them and going into the goal is not unique to the Islanders
Apparently they are not blocking the shots that win hockey games this year. Good defenseman know how to clear the crease without screening their own goaltender.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Apparently they are not blocking the shots that win hockey games this year. Good defenseman know how to clear the crease without screening their own goaltender.
You make it sound like the team is 0-8.

Defensive positioning is certainly a skill but a 100 mph shot that gets deflected two or three times before it goes on net is impossible to anticipate. All defensemen screen their goalie inadvertently at some point. The Islanders DO have issues on defense - especially the bottom pair, but this is an odd choice of things to fixate on.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I was at the game. Was there a reason they wore white at home ? Was cool seeing that though

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
WTF!? As the team manager for my son's Pee Wee team, who constantly harps on the boys to "bring both dark and white jerseys to every game!" I find this hysterical.

To be a little fair, NHL teams have different sets of equipment depending on what jersey they wear so it's a little more than throwing an extra jersey in a bag. Still funny that a professional team seems like they couldn't be bothered. I like the home white look so I'm cool with it.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This was the problem with the offseason in general. This team almost missed playoffs when Pelech went down. Mayfield goes down this year and there is just zero depth back there. For the record I think Bolduc brings a really nice skillset to the table for development. The problem is when you pair him up with Aho they have created a terrible third pairing. Neither can handle anything more than third pairing minutes though.

The problem is that even if everyone was healthy Lou just brought everyone back when he really needed to add another legit NHL defenseman and a scoring winger.

Because he didn't this Isles team is not a Cup contender and if injuries hit they might not be a playoff team either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad