GDT: GDT #73 New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | March 30th | 7:00 PM | F/L 4-1

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Won't surprise me if Iskhakov gets a shot on one of the other 31 teams at some point in the future and succeed.

But that's just the norm for the current NYI management group. Bad decision after bad decision after bad decision. The "brain trust" here definitely isn't filled with geniuses, that's for sure.
I watch Bridgeport and I’m no scout but to me Iskhakov is a minor leaguer. He’s great in shootout but he’s just not effective 5 on 5 with his size and lack of speed. Maggio is real prospect, going to be a good middle six forward who plays with energy and effort and plays in both special teams units. Dufour has potential but only half asses it most nights.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I agree with most everything you've written here except that this team is not terrible. It's worse, it's middle. Just good enough to fool itself into thinking it can do something.
No, it's terrible. In basically every advanced stat, they are right up there with the basement-dwellers like Anaheim, Chicago and SJ.

They also have the 7th fewest wins in the league. The only reason they are even as good as 20th overall place in the league is because they dragged themselves into OT in many games.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Terrible NHL team that's aging and getting worse (1 first round exit in the past three years including this year, with THREE different coaches including one of the best in NHL history)
Basically no farm system
Basically no cap room

Man, if this isn't the appropriate time to rebuild, what is? This type of thinking is only going to delay the inevitable.
This is far from terrible, it’s mediocre right now but you have more than half roster thst can be a team you see as contender with right players added.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
No, it's terrible. In basically every advanced stat, they are right up there with the basement-dwellers like Anaheim, Chicago and SJ.

They also have the 7th fewest wins in the league. The only reason they are even as good as 20th overall place in the league is because they dragged themselves into OT in many games.
Even when they were winning more regularly in previous years, their metrics were never great. And let's face it, if the NHL didn't play pond hockey for it's OT, the Isles would be comfortably in a playoff spot. No, they're a middle, maybe lower middle team, which again, in many ways is worse than being terrible.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
This is far from terrible, it’s mediocre right now but you have more than half roster thst can be a team you see as contender with right players added.
Contender for what?! Another one and done playoff slot? And how do you turn those bad contracts into those "right players"? Just look at CapFriendly, we've got like 6M bucks to sign 6 players for next season. Hell, even our best players are mid-level among the very good in the league, and no one is elite.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Won't surprise me if Iskhakov gets a shot on one of the other 31 teams at some point in the future and succeed.

But that's just the norm for the current NYI management group. Bad decision after bad decision after bad decision. The "brain trust" here definitely isn't filled with geniuses, that's for sure.
Bport is dead last with 53 points and 8 games left - they are elminated from the playoffs... the team has enough cap space to add 1 more player.
Philly is a must win, so everything should be available for Monday night.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
These stats are meaningless.
Stats say Florida is good. They go to the Cup last year and are one of the best teams this year.

Stats say NYI is bad. They are outed in the first round last year and are one of the worst teams this year.

Yeah, real meaningless. Thanks for your opinion.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Stats say Florida is good. They go to the Cup last year and are one of the best teams this year.

Stats say NYI is bad. They are outed in the first round last year and are one of the worst teams this year.

Yeah, real meaningless. Thanks for your opinion.

Now give me Lee's expected goals for the season and tell me how valuable those stats are. :help:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Missed some big chances in the 2nd. Liked most of the compete level but man engvall and even Nelson needs to throw those big frames around. Yeeesh.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Cannot even win a puck battle on the boards much less connect on an outlet pass....
This Ass Clown show needs to be broken up for good.
yeup......Tampa shows you the way a professional game should be played, and we show you how it looks when a bunch of guys get their gear on and hit the ice for their second time.

Nelson, Bo & Barzy are our top line talents and unless they play with each other, are playing with third line players, at best....though that is being quite generous on most accounts. Not sure i see that with too many other teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarsTBOW

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Terrible NHL team that's aging and getting worse (1 first round exit in the past three years including this year, with THREE different coaches including one of the best in NHL history)
Basically no farm system
Basically no cap room

Man, if this isn't the appropriate time to rebuild, what is? This type of thinking is only going to delay the inevitable.
and if this isn't the time to sell as HIGH as we can on Nelson, then when is? Brock looks lost. I genuinely feel like he's done.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Just gonna say that if you guys aren't gonna enjoy easter and whine here, i'd say move on. This teams toast man. enjoy a delicious Easter meal with family and friends.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
These stats are meaningless.
Anything that doesn't reflect well on the Islanders is meaningless to you. You went down the same road when the most recent prospect rankings came out. You started out saying that you wouldn't trade the Isles prospect pool for any other team's because you had no personal knowledge of the relative strengths of each teams prospects and that you did your own analysis. Then when challenged you eventually you conceded that you would.

No stats or analyses are a perfect lens into the state of things, but generally speaking they are useful and reflect reality in the broad sense.

As for Lee's expected goals, that stat is fine. That Lee can't finish doesn't reflect poorly on the stat, it reflects poorly on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: periferal

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
When you miss chances like they did in the second period, you simply do now win games at this level. It's that simple really.
How many years do we have to talk about the Isles lack of finishing ability? It's the main reason why this has been a low scoring team the last 5 years. Cement hands that can't pick a spot on a goalie consistently enough.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anything that doesn't reflect well on the Islanders is meaningless to you.

Nope, you're making this up. There are lots of stats that reflect poorly on the Islanders that are meaningful. For instance, goal differential is one.

You went down the same road when the most recent prospect rankings came out. You started out saying that you wouldn't trade the Isles prospect pool for any other team's because you had no personal knowledge of the relative strengths of each teams prospects and that you did your own analysis. Then when challenged you eventually you conceded that you would.

This is also incorrect and you're making things up again, you simply didn't understand what I was saying.

No stats or analyses are a perfect lens into the state of things, but generally speaking they are useful and reflect reality in the broad sense.

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second. Advanced stats when applied as a team metric are incredibly flawed. I do like these stats more than made up rankings though.

As for Lee's expected goals, that stat is fine. That Lee can't finish doesn't reflect poorly on the stat, it reflects poorly on him.

If you say so.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Saw the first and second periods.

Didn't need to watch the third.

Tampa was just so much more of a hockey team. Felt the difference in these teams was incredibly apparent and often overbearing for the Isles.

I give the boys credit for making a push in the latter half of the second period and creating some really good chances. Capitalizing there could have changed things.

But if I'm outsider and see that this Isles team has spent the past 15 some games in a battle royale for a playoff spot, and then see that not only are Horvat, Nelson, and Barzal are on three seperate lines, but that Barzal has been lining up with Fasching for like 4 or 5 games in a row, I'm thinking, "Are they kidding me? THIS is what they feel gives them the best chance at getting offense from their bet offensive player???".

I closely watched Eyssimont, who I had previously seen play (impressively) for Team USA, and thought he was a very effective player. I had to think to myself, "This Tampa organization is finding guys like this every other year. They always manage to find guys like this to come in and help them out on the cheap."

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Nope, you're making this up. There are lots of stats that reflect poorly on the Islanders that are meaningful. For instance, goal differential is one.

This is also incorrect and you're making things up again, you simply didn't understand what I was saying.

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second. Advanced stats when applied as a team metric are incredibly flawed.

If you say so.
Once again, your defense is literalism. Sorry I didn't pose it in the form of a question, 'is everything that doesn't reflect well on the Islanders meaningless to you?', though you knew perfectly well what I was saying.

As for#2, which is an apt number for it, I understood you perfectly. In the Prospect thread, #194, dated Jan 31, your quote:

"I don't know enough about the pipelines of other teams to comment. Would I blindly swap prospect pools with other organizations without actually watching the prospects myself? No, absolutely not.

The rankings are quite literally meaningless.
There is nothing that happens to them if they're wrong or right, they have no impact on what the NHL teams do. It's fan fodder and nothing more. Dom Luczyzzadfnadfdfn posts a model every year with his predictions, does that make it meaningful in some way? Absolutely not."

If people care to read more to see where you ultimately backtrack on everything bolded above, they just need to go back to that thread, but why in god's name would they? As for your assertion that I didn't understand what you were saying, we'll let others judge for themselves. Your words are right there.

Beyond the substance though, it has become clear, and I don't know why I didn't see this earlier, that your agenda is to goad people with whom you have strong disagreements by essentially calling them liars ("making things up") despite evidence to the contrary in the hope that they will respond with something for which they can be banned. It's pretty pathetic behavior.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Once again, your defense is literalism. Sorry I didn't pose it in the form of a question, 'is everything that doesn't reflect well on the Islanders meaningless to you?', though you knew perfectly well what I was saying.

I have no idea what you're saying.

As for#2, which is an apt number for it, I understood you perfectly. In the Prospect thread, #194, dated Jan 31, your quote:

"I don't know enough about the pipelines of other teams to comment. Would I blindly swap prospect pools with other organizations without actually watching the prospects myself? No, absolutely not.

The rankings are quite literally meaningless.
There is nothing that happens to them if they're wrong or right, they have no impact on what the NHL teams do. It's fan fodder and nothing more. Dom Luczyzzadfnadfdfn posts a model every year with his predictions, does that make it meaningful in some way? Absolutely not."

If people care to read more to see where you ultimately backtrack on everything bolded above, they just need to go back to that thread, but why in god's name would they? As for your assertion that I didn't understand what you were saying, we'll let others judge for themselves. Your words are right there.

You didn't understand what I wrote and you, or anyone else, is free to re-read it if they wish. I'm not interested in rehashing that conversation with you.

Beyond the substance though, it has become clear, and I don't know why I didn't see this earlier, that your agenda is to goad people with whom you have strong disagreements by essentially calling them liars ("making things up") despite evidence to the contrary in the hope that they will respond with something for which they can be banned. It's pretty pathetic behavior.

Yet another thing you're making up.

I don't give anyone points, let alone ban anyone, for their disagreements with me. It would be highly unethical and it's not something I partake in. You're free to think whatever you want though.

There's this link you can use if you think I'm being unfair in some way: Contact us

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad