GDT: GDT #70 New York Islanders vs Winnipeg Jets | March 23rd | 1:00 PM | F/6-3 W

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Happy to watch that today, but honestly it is just as frustrating. If they played that exact same way, they win at least 2-3 during that 6 game losing streak. When the Isles play like that they are capable of beating anybody in the NHL as we have seen them do. The difference is they do not play with this level of energy and effort most of the time.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Excellent game. Shame the Flyers won it late.
Got no help from the supposed top teams. How Carolina allowed 6 goals in regulation to a Washington team that does not even average 3 per game is mind boggling. And Boston playing for a top seed and the presidents trophy lose to the Flyers. Unreal.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Happy to watch that today, but honestly it is just as frustrating. If they played that exact same way, they win at least 2-3 during that 6 game losing streak. When the Isles play like that they are capable of beating anybody in the NHL as we have seen them do. The difference is they do not play with this level of energy and effort most of the time.
25 other teams in the league can say the same

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Got no help from the supposed top teams. How Carolina allowed 6 goals in regulation to a Washington team that does not even average 3 per game is mind boggling. And Boston playing for a top seed and the presidents trophy lose to the Flyers. Unreal.
I think Detroit is the only team we can reasonably catch - have to hope Nashville helps us out tonight

Reactions: MikeyMike01

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Thought the game was at 7:30. I missed a good one.

In the grand scheme of things, won’t make a difference. Now the teams NYI need to lose are winning and NYI are too grossly inconsistent (usually the mark of a mediocre team).

Edit: Just saw the highlights. Went to the dirty areas on most of the goals. Nice shots by Clutter and Palms. 73 pts in 69 for #13.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I know, nothing is ever going to change. Just like Lou was gonna trade the 1st at the deadline for a hail Mary fix for this season.

The Isles are going to miss the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years...Despite Lou saying how much he believes in the team non-stop.

Forget me or any poster on this board Strummer. Solve that problem.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The Isles are going to miss the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years...Despite Lou saying how much he believes in the team non-stop.

Missing the playoffs so much gets you closer to your promised land of top 5 picks. I think most here would love to hear the diatribes of being 28-32nd in the league and you screaming on how to improve the team with a new GM.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Solve that problem? It's not my nor any other poster on this site's job to solve that problem. I'm somewhat amazed that you simply cannot comprehend this.

If Lou is no longer GM after this season, I'm not going to shed any tears. I'm also not clamoring for his firing...yet. However, if he triples-down on this roster and brings the same squad back yet again, then I will (for whatever that's worth, and in reality, it's worth nothing). I would be astounded if there are no changes made this off-season with or without Lou at the helm. It may not be a complete housecleaning like some here want, but I think a turnover will begin in the summer. I think some combination of the UFAs with the maybe exception of Reilly walking and at least one roster player with a bad contract moved will happen. I think cap will begin to be cleared, the team will start to get younger, and the team's identity will begin to change (and if not, then off with Lou's head). Because life is not completely static despite your firm belief that it somehow is. I think Lou know has finally seen enough, and not moving futures in a deal to save this season this past deadline speaks louder than any statement he's made to the media about the current roster.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Missing the playoffs so much gets you closer to your promised land of top 5 picks. I think most here would love to hear the diatribes of being 28-32nd in the league and you screaming on how to improve the team with a new GM.
Missing the playoffs and being 18-22nd overall gets you to Nowhereville. The same place Lou’s had us since 2022.

But do tell us how we’re a 2 move finagle from being a contender again.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Solve that problem? It's not my nor any other poster on this site's job to solve that problem. I'm somewhat amazed that you simply cannot comprehend this.

If Lou is no longer GM after this season, I'm not going to shed any tears. I'm also not clamoring for his firing...yet. However, if he triples-down on this roster and brings the same squad back yet again, then I will (for whatever that's worth, and in reality, it's worth nothing). I would be astounded if there are no changes made this off-season with or without Lou at the helm. It may not be a complete housecleaning like some here want, but I think a turnover will begin in the summer. I think some combination of the UFAs with the maybe exception of Reilly walking and at least one roster player with a bad contract moved will happen. I think cap will begin to be cleared, the team will start to get younger, and the team's identity will begin to change (and if not, then off with Lou's head). Because life is not completely static despite your firm belief that it somehow is. I think Lou know has finally seen enough, and not moving futures in a deal to save this season this past deadline speaks louder than any statement he's made to the media about the current roster.
To sum it all up, another wasted year.

Reactions: Torrey Redux

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
100%.

There are only four productive modes for NHL teams:

1) At the top,
2) within reach of the top,
3) moving towards the top,
4) accepting that you are none of the first three and taking appropriate measures.

That we have been predictably none of the first three for coming up on three full seasons now, "wasted" is exactly the right word.

Reactions: MJF and periferal

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Missing the playoffs and being 18-22nd overall gets you to Nowhereville. The same place Lou’s had us since 2022.

But do tell us how we’re a 2 move finagle from being a contender again.
Rebuild all day long. Go for it. A good portion of the Isles problem is the ‘core’ everyone seems to want to keep.

My curiosity was that from a consistent complainer to get what he wants, how long after that rebuild honeymoon does it turn back to complaining?

My guess is pretty quickly like most fan bases. After year 3, they are looking for playoffs or falling just shy. Year 4, it’s playoffs or the fan ‘speed up the rebuild’ meter goes into overdrive.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

I guess it'll all depend on what moves are made during the off-season. You could play coulda, shoulda, woulda all day long but it's not going to change anything at this point, is it? What's done is done unfortunately. A gamble was taken and it didn't pay off. Start making changes this off-season and go from there. It's the only way towards improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Potvottier

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Rebuild all day long. Go for it. A good portion of the Isles problem is the ‘core’ everyone seems to want to keep.

My curiosity was that from a consistent complainer to get what he wants, how long after that rebuild honeymoon does it turn back to complaining?

My guess is pretty quickly like most fan bases. After year 3, they are looking for playoffs or falling just shy. Year 4, it’s playoffs or the fan ‘speed up the rebuild’ meter goes into overdrive.

There's also the semantics of "rebuild" vs. "retool". There's no formal definition of what either mean. One poster's retool is another's rebuild. @MJF illustrated this perfectly days ago when he categorized what I believe @doublechili described as a "retool" a "rebuild". I suspect a lot of posters have a somewhat similar vision of how they think they team should proceed forward despite calling it two separate things.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
They took foot off gas in last period. And look what happens. That malaise continues into next game.
Don't flirt with form.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I guess it'll all depend on what moves are made during the off-season. You could play coulda, shoulda, woulda all day long but it's not going to change anything at this point, is it? What's done is done unfortunately. A gamble was taken and it didn't pay off. Start making changes this off-season and go from there. It's the only way towards improvement.
The first change has to be the guy who made the gamble. He can’t remain as team president and hover over the next GM. Clean out the management suite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad