GDT: GDT #69 New York Islanders @ Detroit Red Wings | March 21st | 7:00 PM | F/L 6-3

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I almost wish the Isles the Isles would trade Barzal away just so his few haters would see how truly embarrassing this team would be.

The pass he gets from some fans is astounding to me. He's the most talented player on the team and with the season slipping away he's in a prime shooting location and tries to make a pass. That's him, over and over and over again. It's a problem and it keeps happening in the most inopportune times.

Your best players have to elevate their game when the games matter the most. I don't care who his wingers are when he's passing up the opportunity to score and he gets plenty of them.

I'm not looking to trade him but he deserves some level of blame for what has gone on because he's not doing his part given the opportunities he gets.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The pass he gets from some fans is astounding to me. He's the most talented player on the team and with the season slipping away he's in a prime shooting location and tries to make a pass. That's him, over and over and over again. It's a problem and it keeps happening in the most inopportune times.

Your best players have to elevate their game when the games matter the most. I don't care who his wingers are when he's passing up the opportunity to score and he gets plenty of them.

I'm not looking to trade him but he deserves some level of blame for what has gone on because he's not doing his part given the opportunities he gets.
Then if you trade him you lose
-all the skill the roster has save for Horvat and Dobson
-all the good speed the roster has
-all the creativity this roster has
Barzal is important, but to give him the worst wingers is setting him up to die. I dont expect Barzal to be MacKinnon lite but I expect the roster to make him convert those passes. It is insanely frustrating how many people in this fanbase are perfectly fine thinking about trading Barzal and Sorokin, but god forbid I mention Palmieri or Nelson or Pulock or Pelech, we start to get the pitchforks out in anger.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
You must be pumped for another potential Isles Fan Cup next season. I'm honestly rooting for you!

LOL, hang another "we made the playoffs but lost in the 1st round" banner. Maybe instead of a cup parade, a 2nd round parade?? That's your SC LMAO!!!!

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I almost wish the Isles the Isles would trade Barzal away just so his few haters would see how truly embarrassing this team would be.
Well considering they made the playoffs last year without him and he’s really stepping up at a time where your best players should, kinda says ‘he ain’t all that.’

What’s embarrassing is a player making $9M+ that’s -10 in his last six games when the team is trying to make the playoffs. But, that’s right, it’s every other player he plays with it’s their fault.

The only argument that holds water on Barzal is that Trotz knew how to deploy him and have him play a team game in Trotz years 1-3.

And since you want a rebuild, embarrassing hockey is part of a rebuild…so, might as well get rid of the Barzal since he’s so amazing he’ll stop the isles from getting top 5 pick year over year.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Well considering they made the playoffs last year without him and he’s really stepping up at a time where your best players should, kinda says ‘he ain’t all that.’

What’s embarrassing is a player making $9M+ that’s -10 in his last six games when the team is trying to make the playoffs. But, that’s right, it’s every other player he plays with it’s their fault.

The only argument that holds water on Barzal is that Trotz knew how to deploy him and have him play a team game in Trotz years 1-3.

And since you want a rebuild, embarrassing hockey is part of a rebuild…so, might as well get rid of the Barzal since he’s so amazing he’ll stop the isles from getting top 5 pick year over year.
they only made the playoffs because the Penguins had a brainfart against the worst team in the league. Do not let a god damn outlier sway your opinion.

Oh and every single thing went the islanders way without Barzal. They were so incredibly lucky to have made the playoffs that season, so you saying "Barzal isn't all that" is absolutely stupid. Brock Nelson has regressed so badly yet I dont hear you guys bashing him for his empty scoring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Not that it matters but before Horvat failed to roof the puck, Palmieri fanned on it.

That could’ve helped Palmieri’s team worst +/- stat. He needs to go in the offseason but he’s a negative asset. It’ll take retention and then the Isles will get a mid round pick back at best.
I'm not certain who is the best to move/buy out/keep for one year then buy out. I'd think Lee is the best buy out candidate. As for Palmieri, it's 50/50 for me whether they buy him out or bury him in the AHL. If they retain, it's pointless to retain more than 1M unless it nets them a 4th rounder or better, and I don't see that as being likely.

My current plan:
- Buy out Lee now.
- Try to move Pageau, but if you can't buy out in '25.
- Bury Palmieri or make him a short term Clutterbuck replacement.

And, yeah, NYI ought to consider moving Nelson in a hockey trade. Same with either Pelech or Pulock. But they have to get roster players back in those deals.

Reactions: beach

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Is it fair to both criticize Sorokin for this year and still note he has also been elite in the past? Of course.

Just look at these advanced stats:

73rd overall this year after being #3 last year. And last year it was Lane Lambert's system!!!

Last night, a huge game for both teams, played on the road . . . we outshot Detroit 36-23, and missed the net on many great attempts too. 5 goals against on the 23 (not counting the ENG) is .782. Did our defense (Pelech, stop trying to play outside the system!!!) hang him out some? Of course. Do you count on him to save a breakaway by Christian Fischer of all people? Of course. Fischer of the 5 goals on 73 shots in 67 games . . . Varly is 34th this year after being 32nd this year, so he's consistent.

Watching Sorokin this year, it seems his fundamentals are WAY OFF. He could be athletic ON TOP of his strong fundamentals, but this year I see NEITHER from him. He needs some serious film study this off-season and get back to positioning, which has really fallen off this year.

And for the Bortuzzo for Aho fetishists . . . yep, that worked well. Surprised no one blames Aho, even though he was scratched. We sit Martin to get some more SPEED and cancel that out by putting Bortuzzo in for Aho.

Pelech needs to be traded while the other GM's still are going on his reputation. His attempts to be the one defender not playing the system are killing us. How many times does he get caught trying to take the middle instead of taking one option and leaving the other to the goalie? Not just the 2-1 breaks, but more importantly the 2-1 down deep while defending? No matter how many times Roy harps on playing the man?

Engvall vs Nelson - Engvall gets raked for being soft and rightly so, but Nelson has become a one-dimensional player lately too. When was the last time he finished a check and lately he's been on the perimeter way too much. 1G in his last 9 games means he has to play the 200-foot game when he's cooled off.

Palmieri's goals are nice, but he is AGAIN the worst +/- by a LOT. It's true +/- isn't always definitive but it shows when one is well outside the bell curve. He has 8 PPG's, but he gives them right back in 5 on 5.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Is it fair to both criticize Sorokin for this year and still note he has also been elite in the past? Of course.

Just look at these advanced stats:

73rd overall this year after being #3 last year. And last year it was Lane Lambert's system!!!

Last night, a huge game for both teams, played on the road . . . we outshot Detroit 36-23, and missed the net on many great attempts too. 5 goals against on the 23 (not counting the ENG) is .782. Did our defense (Pelech, stop trying to play outside the system!!!) hang him out some? Of course. Do you count on him to save a breakaway by Christian Fischer of all people? Of course. Fischer of the 5 goals on 73 shots in 67 games . . . Varly is 34th this year after being 32nd this year, so he's consistent.

Watching Sorokin this year, it seems his fundamentals are WAY OFF. He could be athletic ON TOP of his strong fundamentals, but this year I see NEITHER from him. He needs some serious film study this off-season and get back to positioning, which has really fallen off this year.

And for the Bortuzzo for Aho fetishists . . . yep, that worked well. Surprised no one blames Aho, even though he was scratched. We sit Martin to get some more SPEED and cancel that out by putting Bortuzzo in for Aho.

Pelech needs to be traded while the other GM's still are going on his reputation. His attempts to be the one defender not playing the system are killing us. How many times does he get caught trying to take the middle instead of taking one option and leaving the other to the goalie? Not just the 2-1 breaks, but more importantly the 2-1 down deep while defending? No matter how many times Roy harps on playing the man?

Engvall vs Nelson - Engvall gets raked for being soft and rightly so, but Nelson has become a one-dimensional player lately too. When was the last time he finished a check and lately he's been on the perimeter way too much. 1G in his last 9 games means he has to play the 200-foot game when he's cooled off.

Palmieri's goals are nice, but he is AGAIN the worst +/- by a LOT. It's true +/- isn't always definitive but it shows when one is well outside the bell curve. He has 8 PPG's, but he gives them right back in 5 on 5.
Congrats you just said why Sorokin is having a down year because of how bad those players are.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Sure - Everyone should be held accountable. No problem with that. If this team was much more talented, was competing for the President's Trophy, and a true Cup contender then I'd be much more on Barzal, as in that case his mistakes would be more glaring. Thing is Barzal isn’t in the top 10 issues with this team right now, but somehow is near the top of the list of complaints by fans. That doesn't add up.

I think the problem is people think Barzal is something he's not. Barzal is a very very good player...But he's not an elite player. This isn't MacKinnon or McDavid we're talking about here who can totally drive play on their own. Barzal can create offense and make his linemates better, but in order to do so he needs to be with other talented players (like Horvat types - Not Holmstrom types). The fact that we're in year 8 of Barzal's career and the Isles GMs during that time haven't surrounded him with linemates that can maximize his potential is their failure - Not his.

Barzal certainly has his negatives, but he's the #1 guy on the team (out of only 3 or 4) that can actually create some offense for a team that has big trouble scoring. For all his mistakes he has tons more positive plays where he generates offensive zone time, scoring chances, and actual goals.

Barzal is a point per game player and #23 overall in scoring leaders in the entire NHL (despite being the 32nd highest paid player) - And every player above him on that list is on a better team playing with better players around them. So by the numbers Barzal, even with his flaws, is earning his salary.

So I'm all for giving Barzal shit for his mistakes, but when you talk about overall issues with this franchise, just make sure you give guys like Lee, Pageau, Pelech, Pulock, Engvall, Mayfield, and especially Lou a lot more.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
So I'm all for giving Barzal shit for his mistakes, but when you talk about overall issues with this franchise, just make sure you give guys like Lee, Pageau, Pelech, Pulock, Engvall, Mayfield, and especially Lou a lot more.
Nelson too

again, the time to trade them is now. Yes, trading Nelson is a "bad look" but Brock Nelson suddenly aging this quickly in a few weeks is not good. Hell, i'd argue that Nelson has been like this for a while now. His goal scoring has become empty. what felt like one of the NHL's most underrated players now feels like a guy whos on track to flame out after his next contract. If we are smart, we deal him to Dallas this offseason and hope to god we get Stankoven. please god let this team get younger and faster, because thats what Roy's system needs. Oh wait this is Lou Lamoriello so he wont do a damn thing at all once July 1st hits.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Congrats you just said why Sorokin is having a down year because of how bad those players are.
No I didn't.

BOTH are happening, one is not the cause of the other. Sorokin's fundamental flaws this year are not contingent on how the other players are playing.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
LOL, hang another "we made the playoffs but lost in the 1st round" banner. Maybe instead of a cup parade, a 2nd round parade?? That's your SC LMAO!!!!

Tell you what, since you're so passionate, and not the least bit upset about the Isles current and future crappy players+seasons, I'll cheer for you if you cheer for me.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Biggest game of the year thus far and the team lays the proverbial egg (or is that a term only used when you get shutout?)

Whatever, they $hit the bed.

Unable to finish, it was only a question of time before Detroit would. Then they didn't even need to do anything particularly special to get half a dozen goals into our net.

Sorokin let up another 4+ goals again and the offense was on hiatus until it become another too little, too late scenario. The boys weren't even smart enough to just "ice" their way through the 2nd period.

The reality is, this team had it's entire fate in its hands over the final 20 games of this season. They didn't need help. They could decide entirely whether they are a playoff team or not.

With 13 games to go, they're on a 6-game losing streak with last night's pathetic affair being a 4-point affair.

With James friggin sieveman Reimer in goal.

Sure, there's still 13 games to go.

But does anyone really wanna see this outfit back its way into the playoffs somehow with a late surge only to enter the first round fray against FLA or CAR???

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
They know the country club is done. And instead of enjoying it and trying to prolong it by getting to the playoffs, they’re laying down

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think they just kinda suck. oh wait.. let me make that PC.

"They are lacking in talent"

much better.
They will not make a damn change. Thats the scary part.

No I didn't.

BOTH are happening, one is not the cause of the other. Sorokin's fundamental flaws this year are not contingent on how the other players are playing.
and when one side is bad, they both struggle. I KNOW Ilya is a good goalie but right now, the dude needs to sit. I really blame it on how bad this team has been defensively.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think they just kinda suck. oh wait.. let me make that PC.

"They are lacking in talent"

much better.

The solution? Bring back Bailey!

Biggest game of the year thus far and the team lays the proverbial egg (or is that a term only used when you get shutout?)

Whatever, they $hit the bed.

Unable to finish, it was only a question of time before Detroit would. Then they didn't even need to do anything particularly special to get half a dozen goals into our net.

Sorokin let up another 4+ goals again and the offense was on hiatus until it become another too little, too late scenario. The boys weren't even smart enough to just "ice" their way through the 2nd period.

The reality is, this team had it's entire fate in its hands over the final 20 games of this season. They didn't need help. They could decide entirely whether they are a playoff team or not.

With 13 games to go, they're on a 6-game losing streak with last night's pathetic affair being a 4-point affair.

With James friggin sieveman Reimer in goal.

Sure, there's still 13 games to go.

But does anyone really wanna see this outfit back its way into the playoffs somehow with a late surge only to enter the first round fray against FLA or CAR???
Well, I only live about 15 miles from the Panthers arena, maybe I can get a cheap Stubhub ticket . . .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad