GDT: GDT #68 New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes | March 19th | 7:30 PM | F/4-1 L

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I know players play and coaches and managers manage, but this season mostly hast to fall on the GM. The GM has to know the team and read the tea leaves to properly evaluate and put the team in the best position to not only win but look ahead.

This team even with it's 6 game streak had terrible analytics. The one stat that was never going to improve and is usually the best indicator is goal differential. EVEN if this team made the playoffs, we were most likely looking at a 5 or 6 game first round exit. What was going to change? It is not likely turning on the lights and all of a sudden this team was going to clamp down in the d zone and not get outshot or give up high danger chances. These habits were not instilled and were just not going to magically appear.

I say see if Iskhakov can play at this level and evaluate the roster.

I am excited to see what Roy can do with an amended roster and training camp.

I will be pulling for the Stars and Jets in the West and the Panthers in the East and whoever plays the Rangers.
Iskhakov is not going to help unless it’s a shootout, there is nobody in Bridgeport that can help currently. I do think Lou punted on season and did zip at deadline. Now we play out string and see what changes come this summer.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
There wasn't any justification the last two years either, truth be told

There wasn't, but now he's run out of rationales. Two coaches, and overt faith in the roster x 3.

The only blessing to another losing season is that it nearly guarantees significant changes--whether managerial, personnel, or both.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
It's quite clear they've raised white flag. Their body language today was telling.
They want season over.
Amazing considering how long they train for and all the effort to get into a playoff position, to then turn up their toes with the finish line in sight.
Perhaps there are some issues we don't know about, cos they aren't playing like a committed team.

Reactions: MYIslanders

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Only The fellas in the locker room know what's happening. It's up to them to come together or quit. You can make up 4 points fairly quick but I'm not holding my breath about it. It sure looked like surrender time for many. Disappointing to say the least

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
No you don’t, sharks are going to suck for at least a few more years especially if they don’t win lottery this off-season.
So what? Their fans are going to have a lot to look forward to even if it takes a few years to get to.

Lingering in 20th place league wide for seasons will result in continued mediocrity.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Their tanks were empty again. Guys like Lee, Martin, Clutter, Cizikas, Pelech have nothing left to give.

Roy can't shorten their shifts enough to cajole out of them a spark, they'd be playing 30 second shifts.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
It should be quite obvious to anyone halfway intelligent and reasonable that the window is closed for this group.

Both Palmieri and Nelson need to be traded this summer for the best available offers. Both players have M-NTCs so the market may not return as much as we'd like (depending on who they'd approve trades to), but something is better than nothing. Neither player has a role on the next contending Islanders team.

I'd also see what offers were out there for Sorokin, Barzal, Horvat, Pulock, and Pelech, assuming they'd waive. I don't think you need to rush trades for these players this summer (like with Palmieri and Nelson) if there aren't good enough offers, but these players probably don't have a role on the next contending Islanders team and should be traded within the next 1-2 years at absolute maximum.

Dobson and Romanov are probably young enough that they could have a role on the next Islanders contender so I'd hang on to them if they're willing to re-sign and stick around through a few rough upcoming years. Otherwise trade them over the next few years before they reach UFA.

The other junk on the main roster has no value so they're stuck here until contracts expire.

Time to go full scrotched-Earth.

Last edited:

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Maybe. Wouldn’t you rather the rangers play the Lightning in round 1 than the Flyers…?
I’m thinking further down the line, where I prefer CAR to have home ice against NYR if it comes to it. Hopefully they wouldn’t squander it like they did in 2022

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Det and phi going to win.
Who cares?

Why would anyone even want to see this team make it in as the 8th seed, and probably get swept by the Panthers?

A team with 9 forwards who can't score and don't contribute much of anything along with terrible special teams has no shot of doing anything in the playoffs.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
It's quite clear they've raised white flag. Their body language today was telling.
They want season over.
Amazing considering how long they train for and all the effort to get into a playoff position, to then turn up their toes with the finish line in sight.
Perhaps there are some issues we don't know about, cos they aren't playing like a committed team.
Their just not good enough. Period.

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
I’m thinking further down the line, where I prefer CAR to have home ice against NYR if it comes to it. Hopefully they wouldn’t squander it like they did in 2022
Who would care about the Rangers?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It should be quite obvious to anyone halfway intelligent and reasonable that the window is closed for this group.

Both Palmieri and Nelson need to be traded this summer for the best available offers. Both players have M-NTCs so the market may not return as much as we'd like (depending on who they'd approve trades to), but something is better than nothing. Neither player has a role on the next contending Islanders team.

I'd also see what offers were out there for Sorokin, Barzal, Horvat, Pulock, and Pelech, assuming they'd waive. I don't think you need to rush trades for these players this summer (like with Palmieri and Nelson) if there aren't good enough offers, but these players probably don't have a role on the next contending Islanders team and should be traded within the next 1-2 years at absolute maximum.

Dobson and Romanov are probably young enough that they could have a role on the next Islanders contender so I'd hang on to them if they're willing to re-sign and stick around through a few rough upcoming years. Otherwise trade them over the next few years before they reach UFA.

The other junk on the main roster has no value so they're stuck here until contracts expire.

Time to go full scrotched-Earth.
Push delete, apply for expansion team method.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
They want season over.
First off, you have mistaken this group of players as a team, but...you are correct that they should be committed....to the reformation institute of pride & shame.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For all his faults, I’d much rather have built a team around him than believing you can build one around Mr. APB.

I was being sarcastic, but I'm all for adding star players over just decent/average players.

Pageau, Mayfield, and Engvall make more than Tavares.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
At this point the Captain of the team should be having the ole "closed door, players only meeting".

WHERE IS LEE????

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
At this point the Captain of the team should be having the ole "closed door, players only meeting".

WHERE IS LEE????
I don't think that Lee's leadership is in question. Nor is "effort." Of course they're trying. Obviously it's not good enough.

It's a low point in the season but they've been there before and recovered...

Who cares?

Why would anyone even want to see this team make it
in as the 8th seed, and probably get swept by the Panthers?

A team with 9 forwards who can't score and don't contribute much of anything along with terrible special teams has no shot of doing anything in the playoffs.
Pretty sure you do. You wouldn't want to watch the playoff games if they make it? Sure, sure...

Last edited:

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
I hate to break it to you, but this team is going to suck for years as well.
Why? This isn't going to be like the Sharks scenario (not yet anyway). They may be a middling team but there are too many good, young pieces to be one of the worst teams in the league...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't think that Lee's leadership is in question. Nor is "effort." Of course they're trying. Obviously it's not good enough.

Time is running out.

Barzal and Sorokin need to step up here down the stretch. It's not their fault the team is in the position they're in but if they want to be considered top tier players then they need to elevate their game when the moments call for it. They've had plenty of opportunities and have squandered them all. Big time players show up in big moments.

Horvat and Palmieri, are the only two forwards who are raising their game right now. Defensively the only two I like are Romanov and Reilly.

Figure it out quick. Get in the playoffs, get bounced by Carolina, and then make some shake up moves.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Pretty sure you do. You wouldn't want to watch the playoff games if they make it? Sure, sure...

Lee's leadership is precisely what I'm questioning. I havent heard anything, ever, from a player saying how Lee is stepping up as a Captain, rallying the troops, talking us up in the locker room,,, etc.. Anything.

This the point where you need your Captain to show why hes a Captain.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I don't think they've looked worse than they have looked for the last few games (the ones I've seen anyway). Even when they were blowing all those leads late, they at least played well for 50-55 minutes before shitting the bed at the end. They had nothing last night and have had nothing since Buffalo. They look like a spent force at this point. There's technically still enough games left to revitalize and go on a run, and the equally bad play of the teams they're competing with for the last slot certainly helps, but even if that happens I don't know if they'll be able to sustain it when the playoffs begin.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad