GDT: GDT #65 New York Islanders @ Buffalo Sabres | March 14th | 7:00 PM | F/4-0 L

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This has been the weirdest season ever. If they proceed with Roy and I hope they do, Lou has to try and mix this thing up next year. Group might now be as far away as we thought but it’s not close enough either. In hindsight im glad we kept Brock but we def need a degree of retooling no matter what. Really sucks to look this horrendous after that streak.
Proceed with Roy. Get rid of Lou.

Lou's last 3 seasons just aren't good enough.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Proceed with Roy. Get rid of Lou.

Lou's last 3 seasons just aren't good enough.

What do you think the chances are of that happening? I'd be somewhat surprised, but nothing is impossible. I think Lou will get another crack at this by teaming up with Roy to change things up.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Not adding an RD ahead of the deadline was a mistake.

They had little to no jump and what's worse for 2 periods played played the fancy game instead of getting pucks to the net. No grit. Inexcusable.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
What do you think the chances are of that happening? I'd be somewhat surprised, but nothing is impossible. I think Lou will get another crack at this by teaming up with Roy to change things up.
I agree. Unless Lou calls it quits on his own after this year I think Lou/Roy will be back. Down the road I think Malkin breaks up Lou's role into two: one President and one GM.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And that would be a mistake. In hiring Roy, that to me was Lou finally admitting that the game has changed. Roy wants to coach a more uptempo, analytics based game. Lou’s current roster doesn’t have the ability to play that style consistently, and I have no confidence that he can get Roy the players he needs to be successful.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
From what I gathered after the Kings game was that they looked fatigued and couldn't cash in on any PP opportunities.

I'm assuming continued fatigue due to the long road trip.
It’s mid March and that excuse shouldn't fly.

Or better yet, Lou should build a team that doesn’t dig a big hole for themselves in the regular season.

Reactions: crashthenet

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
And that would be a mistake. In hiring Roy, that to me was Lou finally admitting that the game has changed. Roy wants to coach a more uptempo, analytics based game. Lou’s current roster doesn’t have the ability to play that style consistently, and I have no confidence that he can get Roy the players he needs to be successful.

If the Roy hiring is Lou admitting that things have changed, then I think that acknowledgement will earn him another shot at changing the make-up of the team to be better suited to play that game. Can he get it done and is he willing to do what it takes to get it done? Those are the big question, but I don't think the owners would allow Lou to make the hire to bring in the coach he wanted if they weren't keeping him on for at least another year. But we shall see.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If the Roy hiring is Lou admitting that things have changed, then I think that acknowledgement will earn him another shot at changing the make-up of the team to be better suited to play that game. Can he get it done and is he willing to do what it takes to get it done? Those are the big question, but I don't think the owners would allow Lou to make the hire to bring in the coach he wanted if they weren't keeping him on for at least another year. But we shall see.
I disagree. The combination of contracts boxing Lou in and now having to go onto his 3rd coach who needs a different style of play from that roster should disqualify Lou from going any further as GM. It took him too long to acknowledge the game has changed.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I disagree. The combination of contracts boxing Lou in and now having to go onto his 3rd coach who needs a different style of play from that roster should disqualify Lou from going any further as GM. It took him too long to acknowledge the game has changed.

Well what should happen and what will happen are two different things. I'm just guessing what I think will happen. As I said earlier, I would be surprised if Lou is removed, but that's not to say it couldn't happen.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Just wished they had played like a team that understands this scheduling challenge and thus stays within its bounds, keeps things simple, and doesn't conduct a bunch of video game experiments on the ice.

In other words, best time to just stick to the KISS principle.

Instead, the sloppiness was at a season high level and there was one failed science project after another out there.

That's what I don't get. That's what's so darn disappointing.

Thought it might have been the worst game I've seen from Holmstrom.
Yeah Buffalo is playing really good right now, iskes had very little to offer. If PP could have scored maybe it changes game or Horvat score at end of 1st instead of post maybe it changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad