GDT: GDT #62 New York Islanders @ San Jose Sharks | March 7th | 10:30 PM | F/W 7-2

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Glad they stepped it up in the 2nd. They gave up way too many chances in the first half of the game that a better team would've capitalised on. An emphatic win, and it looked like they took it easy a good part of the way.

Reactions: Osakahaus

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I watched the first 2 periods - felt the third would actually be okay for once... Horvat was great, of course.

Romanov continues to be assertive with the puck. I love it.

The Nelson-Horvat-Barzal line is more like two strikers/attack and a midfielder than two wings and center. One point only, and despite that Barzal is playing the best hockey of his career. He's leaned up, skates less frenetically, but with more purpose, and his off-the puck awareness is so much better than it was.

The 4th line has 1 good player, and 2 finished players, they got hemmed in on several occasions because of it against an awful team, and imo that has to be addressed today. This streak means that NYI has control over its own destiny.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I watched the first 2 periods - felt the third would actually be okay for once... Horvat was great, of course.

Romanov continues to be assertive with the puck. I love it.

The Nelson-Horvat-Barzal line is more like two strikers/attack and a midfielder than two wings and center. One point only, and despite that Barzal is playing the best hockey of his career. He's leaned up, skates less frenetically, but with more purpose, and his off-the puck awareness is so much better than it was.

The 4th line has 1 good player, and 2 finished players, they got hemmed in on several occasions because of it against an awful team, and imo that has to be addressed today. This streak means that NYI has control over its own destiny.
its honestly more praise to MacLean, and an insult to the two older guys, and its funny because Cizikas has been killing it as a 3rd line center recently

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
They sputtered around a bit in the first, but yep, there was the flight over and then it's always a bit tough against pure bottom feeders who have nothing to lose and are basically just auditioning half of their players.

As such, it was pretty much exactly the result we needed.

Hopefully it'll serve as a blueprint for the game against Anaheim.

Loving MacLean. And no, not just because of the wicked shot he scored on.

The kid just totally shows that he thoroughly understands what is expected of him and he just goes out there and does it. You already expect him to make the "safe, sound" play in just about all situations.

Maybe it's just a really good start with tons of concentration, but I'd like to hope that he's going to be even more solid once he gets comfortable in this league.

Also, moving on from Clutter and Martin should be such an easy decision this summer. That fourth line can be upgraded upon with ease.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Anyone see the return for Guentzel? Yeesh.

Dubas really got quite a haul back.

Definitely a trade that REALLY helps a depleted organization like Pittsburgh.

Heck, without mentioning the other more well-known/obvious assets, I can say that Koivunen has been one of the absolute best overall draftees in Europe this season.

Only just 20, but one of the topscorers in Liiga with over 50 points.

Not even a dozen guys per season get that done.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
That f***ing moron from here posted on the trade board this...

I really think he's f***ing Pejorative Slured. He's taking a pot shot while not realizing two of our best players this year have been Romanov and Horvat.

Can you explain what you're getting at here?

Lamoriello has moved 4 straight 1st rounders.

It's a thoroughly legitimate thought to wonder who he might move this year's 1st rounder for as we approach the trade deadline. We've been discussing this for weeks.

This is a fan board full of chatter.

Or am I missing your intent here?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The return was underrated. Idk what the word is on Lucius, but he seems like a skilled playmaker to me whenever I've watched.

He's good. I saw several of Wisconsin's games against Notre Dame a few weeks back and he stood out the most. As in, of everyone on eihter team. The numbers - almost at a PPG pace in his first two seasons - don't appear to just be some kind of byproduct. The guy has game. I'm thinking he's getting up into 45-point territory in his junior year. Likely won't see a senior year.

Always liked Ponomarev as a solid 2-way third line option (looks like they've now replaced the loss of Teddy Bluegers). His AHL numbers look like he's just about ready. And of course, the picks are the key.

Over the past ten years, hardly a team out there has picked has seldom as Pittsburgh has.

Dubas likes to have an arsenal ready for his staff come the draft.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016

It's a thoroughly legitimate thought to wonder who he might move this year's 1st rounder for as we approach the trade deadline. We've been discussing this for weeks.

No, you are not missing the intent of someone that had too much to drink last night and wanted to complain about… something. Old man yells at cloud

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Dubas really got quite a haul back.

Definitely a trade that REALLY helps a depleted organization like Pittsburgh.

Heck, without mentioning the other more well-known/obvious assets, I can say that Koivunen has been one of the absolute best overall draftees in Europe this season.

Only just 20, but one of the topscorers in Liiga with over 50 points.

Not even a dozen guys per season get that done.
And Guentzel might still go to FA, which is gonna lower the return.

We are the last fanbase that should be dunking on the return for an impending UFA lol

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
His drafting record, trading record, and signing record in TOR were pretty poor.

Hmmm, not so sure about the drafting part.

I mean Sandin, Durzi, Robertson, and Knies have done just fine for themselves as higher round picks while Holmberg has been quite good for a late rounder.

That Amirov literally died is not really something he can do anything about.

Abruzzese and Hildeby look like they can make the jump soon while Fraser Minten has been a prospect darling for the gurus out there this and last season.

Each of Niemela, Grebyonkin, Lisowsky, Hirvonen, Villeneuve, Mietinnen, Tverberg, Miller, and Moldenhauer have all given reason to think they have possibilties of one sort or another as they continue to be the key pieces in the prospect bin.

This said, I've got no skin in the Dubas game. There's no particular admiration here.

I just know that he likes to have plenty of picks and Pittsburgh is one of the franchises that's made the fewest selections over the past 10 years.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
well...made though the first...then had to sleep. Got up at 5 to watch the remaining periods before heading out.

We looked good, was fun.

To those wanting a rebuild....welp, the Shark showed you exactly what that would be like.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
No, you are not missing the intent of someone that had too much to drink last night and wanted to complain about… something. Old man yells at cloud

"periferal said:
  • 2020 - JG Pageau
  • 2021 - Kyle Palmieri
  • 2022 - Alex Romanov
  • 2023 - Bo Horvat
  • 2024 - ???
Odds are it will probably be for a pending UFA (who's only worth a 2nd) and then Lou will give him a 7 year 45 million deal shortly after.

Who's your money on...?"

I mean, I guess if you missed that part of the post, you would not understand.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad