GDT: GDT #17 New York Islanders @ Calgary Flames | November 18th | 7 PM | F/SOW 5-4

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I haven’t seen every period, of every game, with that said, what is painstakingly obvious is the D zone coverage. They collapse, leaving the points open. I’d prefer them to pressure the points (challenging, I know, for a slow team).

Also, they are disorganized, and aren’t picking up the correct players at the correct times. This is fundamental that goes beyond a flawed roster.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
So… for anyone who watches these games on demand from espn+, did this game ever become available? Just checked, and it’s still did not show up. I ended up watching it on demand via MSG+.

I find Islander games often take a while after the live finish to become available “on demand” through the espn+ app. But this is now getting ridiculous! The NHL streaming partners are a bunch of steamers!

Green

Nov 13, 2019
So… for anyone who watches these games on demand from espn+, did this game ever become available? Just checked, and it’s still did not show up. I ended up watching it on demand via MSG+.

I find Islander games often take a while after the live finish to become available “on demand” through the espn+ app. But this is now getting ridiculous! The NHL streaming partners are a bunch of steamers!
no the game was on NHL Network, I had to find an illegal feed to watch it

Reactions: CupHolders

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
You know what pisses me off more?

They should have 2-3 more OT wins. This should be a 2-1-1 road trip and not a 1-1-2 road trip. Still a losing record, but a win is a win. Sorokin, what the hell happened?
The quality of shot he is seeing has changed. Traffic around our net, terrible pk, turnovers that lead to sustained pressure that lead to over worked goalies and more penalties,etc. Also, like the third period last night, failure to score on quality chances leads to both transition chances with players trapped low in the zone and fails to provide a cushion for a team to play with a lead. Puts a ton of pressure on the team.

Where are the Aho fans of last year btw? You know who you are.

Prior to the Horvat trade last year Butch correctly commented on a disturbing trend. This team repeatedly turned d zone face off wins into losses off a terrible play they were trying to run. Ridiculous. That was a tell regarding the poor judgement of this staff. The use of Aho, the inability to match at home and lack of discipline further illustrate the problem.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Having seen only the third period and OT I’ll say this about the Flames.

Hanifan is just what his team needs. I suspect the price and the competition to obtain him may prove too much for the Isles.

I wouldn’t take Huberdeau at any price, even with retention.

Reactions: saintunspecified

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The quality of shot he is seeing has changed. Traffic around our net, terrible pk, turnovers that lead to sustained pressure that lead to over worked goalies and more penalties,etc. Also, like the third period last night, failure to score on quality chances leads to both transition chances with players trapped low in the zone and fails to provide a cushion for a team to play with a lead. Puts a ton of pressure on the team.

Where are the Aho fans of last year btw? You know who you are.

Prior to the Horvat trade last year Butch correctly commented on a disturbing trend. This team repeatedly turned d zone face off wins into losses of a terrible play they were trying to run. Ridiculous. That was a tell regarding the poor judgement of this staff. The use of Aho, the inability to match at home and lack of discipline further illustrate the problem.
Aho will be replaced but for a number six at league minimum he’s ok, he played better in second half last year for sure.

Having seen only the third period and OT I’ll say this about the Flames.

Hanifan is just what his team needs. I suspect the price and the competition to obtain him may prove too much for the Isles.

I wouldn’t take Huberdeau at any price, even with retention.
Hanifin is good but to me he’s not a 8 million a year Dman, one guy I’d pass on for sure is Zadorov. If we are shifting cap by trying to move someone like Pageau I think it has to be up front and not on blue line IMO.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Exactly. Difference is he has so much more potential than Bellows so hopefully another team believes in that upside and will give us something of value for him.
Surprised Wally wasn’t shooting in top 3 of shootout since he had scored on last attempt and we have very limited options. Imagine if they would have lost after the 3 shooters and not seen Wally! As for him becoming anything, it’s not there . I thought he looked better when younger but just can’t skate well enough to be effective. He will follow the Bellows path so I’m hoping he can be dealt.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It's so annoying because the Islanders will tell you it's on ESPN+ when it isn't. I would've watched from the start if I knew it was NHLN but I thought it'd be on demand so I didn't, caused me to miss two periods of play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lek and CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It's so annoying because the Islanders will tell you it's on ESPN+ when it isn't. I would've watched from the start of I knew it was NHLN but I thought it'd be on demand so I didn't, caused me to miss two periods of play.
Yep, that’s happened to me in the past. I was able to watch it on demand from MSG+. But configuring that, led to me knowing the outcome. Pretty much fast forwarded through most of the game.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Metro is still wide open, just saying...
I get it. Next we fire Lambert, the new coach comes in, we go on a miracle run just like the Blues did and win the Cup.

A dollar and a dream baby!

Aho and Mayfield is like watching someone hold onto a grenade after they pulled the pin
Aho and anybody is like that. Last season Aho was dragging down Dobson. This year Dobson's game is flourishing with Pelech as his defense partner. Cause and effect.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I haven’t seen every period, of every game, with that said, what is painstakingly obvious is the D zone coverage. They collapse, leaving the points open. I’d prefer them to pressure the points (challenging, I know, for a slow team).

Also, they are disorganized, and aren’t picking up the correct players at the correct times. This is fundamental that goes beyond a flawed roster.
The attention to detail is not there anymore. A big change from when Trotz was the head coach.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I get it. Next we fire Lambert, the new coach comes in, we go on a miracle run just like the Blues did and win the Cup.

A dollar and a dream baby!

Aho and anybody is like that. Last season Aho was dragging down Dobson. This year Dobson's game is flourishing with Pelech as his defense partner. Cause and effect.
Is it sad I also thought of the Blues and their run?

Reactions: MJF

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

A dollar and a dream, baby!

Ya gotta be in it to win it!

The draft lottery, I mean.

• Haha
Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No it didn’t, look at their goal differential compared to the rest of the division.

It's bottom it's bottom 5 in the NHL and next to last in the division AND conference. The Isles must tighten up defensively, specifically on the PK.

Is it sad I also thought of the Blues and their run?
Hey, the Kings did it too in 2014 :sarcasm:

That's what so many on this board have been pining for. Just be good enough to get in the playoffs and go from there.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The attention to detail is not there anymore. A big change from when Trotz was the head coach.
These problems were there under Trotz as well especially during the playoffs. I brought this up several times during those years- their propensity to turtle and play not to lose along with the shooting gallery effect of their defensive system. Cooper was the first to figure it out. In fact, every lost playoff round was due to their defensive issues under pressure whether that was protecting a lead or not.

This IS Trotz defensive system. The other teams in the league watched the Bolts and Canes approach to beat it and the floodgates have opened. They have to abandon this defensive system and revamp it. If lambert is unwilling to do this he really needs to go.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

It's bottom it's bottom 5 in the NHL and next to last in the division AND conference. The Isles must tighten up defensively, specifically on the PK.

Hey, the Kings did it too in 2014 :sarcasm:

That's what so many on this board have been pining for. Just be good enough to get in the playoffs and go from there.
The Isles have allowed the 3rd fewest goals 5v5 but the penalty kill is 2nd worst. The power play is 11th but the Isles have scored the 2nd fewest goals 5v5.

The penalty kill needs to improve no doubt. But the goal scoring 5v5 is a talent issue imo. I don’t see a new coach or system or better structure fixing the 5v5 goal scoring. That is the biggest issue in goal differential

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Isles have allowed the 3rd fewest goals 5v5 but the penalty kill is 2nd worst. The power play is 11th but the Isles have scored the 2nd fewest goals 5v5.

The penalty kill needs to improve no doubt. But the goal scoring 5v5 is a talent issue imo. I don’t see a new coach or system or better structure fixing the 5v5 goal scoring. That is the biggest issue in goal differential
Goal scoring has been an issue for years. No reason to expect it to get better now, Horvat or not.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Goal scoring has been an issue for years. No reason to expect it to get better now, Horvat or not.
Scoring forwards are at an absolute premium. They rarely move around. You pretty much have to generate them internally. That's where the Robertsons, Terrys, Kaprisovs, etc come from. If just one of the endless cavalcade of forwards (Bellows, Wahlstom, DalColle, etc) the Isles drafted had panned out to a 30 goal scorer, this would be a different team.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Scoring forwards are at an absolute premium. They rarely move around. You pretty much have to generate them internally. That's where the Robertsons, Terrys, Kaprisovs, etc come from. If just one of the endless cavalcade of forwards (Bellows, Wahlstom, DalColle, etc) the Isles drafted had panned out to a 30 goal scorer, this would be a different team.
They’re out there, you just have to be smart about it. Toffoli got moved for NJD’s version of Beauvillier and a 3rd, Bjorkstrand for a 3rd and 4th, Tolvanen on waivers, etc.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I am not positive goal scoring was a real issue under Trotz. I think the team was just built for grind it out games. The problem is that under Lambert this team is being built more and more to open up and they absolutely cannot handle that. I truly think most of the issue has to do with the defense (as a team not just the defensive pairings).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad