GDT: GDT #17 New York Islanders @ Calgary Flames | November 18th | 7 PM | F/SOW 5-4

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
1700336208326.jpeg

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (5-6-5) AT CALGARY FLAMES (6-8-2)
7 PM ET | SCOTIABANK SADDLEDOME
WATCH: MSGSN2 | MSG+ | ESPN+
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | ESPN STREAM

The New York Islanders are looking to snap a seven-game winless skid (0-4-3) when they take on the Calgary Flames on Saturday in their fourth and final game of their Western road trip.

The Islanders are coming off a 4-3 shootout loss to the Seattle Kraken on Thursday night at Climate Pledge Arena. Anders Lee (PPG), Casey Cizikas and Noah Dobson (PPG) buried goals for the Islanders, but surrendered power-play goals to Alex Wennberg, Matty Beniers and Kailer Yamamoto through 60 minutes. After a scoreless overtime, Yamamoto scored the game-deciding goal in the eighth round of the shootout.

Semyon Varlamov made four saves in the shootout after stopping 29 shots in regulation and overtime. Philipp Grubauer also made four saves in the shootout along with 20 saves in regulation and overtime action for the win that snapped a three-game winless skid for Seattle.

With the earned point in the shootout on Thursday after falling to the Canucks in OT on Wednesday, the Islanders are on a two-game point streak.
“We did a lot of good things, but it came down to a shootout and we ended up on the wrong side of it,” Head Coach Lane Lambert said on Thursday night. “We just have to keep building.”

The Flames had a dominant performance on Thursday against their division rivals with a 5-2 win over the Vancouver Canucks. Elias Lindholm (1G, 2A), Jonathan Huberdeau (1G, 1A), MacKenzie Weegar, Dillon Dube and Noah Hanifin led the way offensively for the Flames. Jacob Markstrom turned aside 20 of 22 in his third consecutive start.

Through two meetings of the season series last year, the Islanders won a 4-3 OT contest on Nov. 7th at UBS Arena and fell 4-1 on the road on Jan. 6. The Islanders are 1-5-0 in their last six games against the Flames.

1700336252952.png

ISLANDERS NOTES​

- Matt Martin (upper body) and Julien Gauthier (illness) missed Thursday's contest against the Kraken.
- Casey Cizikas buried his 100th career goal on Thursday and snapped a seven-game goal drought in the process.
- Anders Lee also snapped a lengthy goal drought, scoring for the first time in 11 games in Thursday’s 4-3 SO loss.
- Bo Horvat kept his point streak alive with an assist on Thursday, hitting the scoresheet in his last four games (1G, 3A). Horvat has 13 points (5G, 8A) in 15 games this season.
- Mathew Barzal had a multi-point performance (2A) on Thursday in his second consecutive game to tie Noah Dobson for the team lead in points (14). Dobson found the back of the net on Thursday for his 35th career goal, tying Johnny Boychuk for 10th place among defensemen on the all-time franchise list.
- The Islanders’ power play percentage is higher than the penalty kill percentage over their last five games. The penalty kill went 7-for-17 (41.2%), while their power play went 5-for-12 (41.7%).
- Per team statistician Eric Hornick, the Islanders have been outscored 16-4 in the third period over the last eight games and 11-2 over the last seven games.
- The Islanders created a lead in 13 of their first 16 games of the season, but picked up the two points in five of those games.
- The Islanders have a road record of 2-3-2 through seven away games this season.

FLAMES NOTES​

- The Flames sit in sixth place in the Pacific Division with 14 points, but they’ve had a solid month so far, sporting a 4-2-1 record in November.
- Jonathan Huberdeau snapped a 11-game goal drought with a goal in Thursday’s 5-2 win over the Canucks. The forward has nine points (3G, 6A) in the first 16 games of his second season in Calgary.
- Elias Lindholm had a three-point outing on Thursday with a goal and two assists. He leads the Flames with 11 points (3G, 8A) in 16 games.
- Rookie forward Martin Pospisil has three points (1G, 2A) in his last four games with a +3 over that span.
- Connor Zary is also making an impression in his first stretch of NHL games. The 22-year-old has six points (3G, 3A) through his first seven games and recorded his first career multi-point night (1G, 1A) on Tuesday against Montreal.
- The Flames have won three straight games against the Islanders on home ice dating back to Feb. 20, 2019, and have not been defeated on home ice since losing to the Islanders 5-2 in Calgary on Mar. 11, 2018.
- The Flames will wear their black alternate jerseys on against the Islanders to wrap their two-game home stand, after debuting the threads for the first time of the season on Thursday.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary playing much better of late. They're a better team than their record, and Huberdeau scored last game. He's CAL's Anders Lee this year....bigger ticket though.

Should be a fun game to watch.

Read that Lou was looking at CAL defensemen which I doubt, because nobody knows what the hell Lou is thinking, ever. And I don't think that makes any sense for the Islanders but both Zadorov (asked for a deal) and Tanev (another expiring contract) likely to be moved at the deadline depending on the record. I happen to think CAL has a shot at the playoffs, it's still too early, so we shall see. Trades rarely happen this early.

Curious to see which Isles team shows up

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
dang I thought it was later than 7pm start.

just win

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Calgary playing much better of late. They're a better team than their record, and Huberdeau scored last game. He's CAL's Anders Lee this year....bigger ticket though.

Should be a fun game to watch.

Read that Lou was looking at CAL defensemen which I doubt, because nobody knows what the hell Lou is thinking, ever. And I don't think that makes any sense for the Islanders but both Zadorov (asked for a deal) and Tanev (another expiring contract) likely to be moved at the deadline depending on the record. I happen to think CAL has a shot at the playoffs, it's still too early, so we shall see. Trades rarely happen this early.

Curious to see which Isles team shows up
Same team, same script, similar ending. Not expecting anything more or less. That in and of itself is sad.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Matt Martin and Julien Gauthier still not available. Same lineup as per Andrew Gross.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I feel we will leave one or more of our players in Calgary after the game and bring Calgary players to our squad to help fan the Flames

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

And he already went from 115 points to 55 from the 21-22 to the 22-23 season.

He's making Lee's stagnation look like a nothingburger.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
And he already went from 115 points to 55 from the 21-22 to the 22-23 season.

He's making Lee's stagnation look like a nothingburger.
no kidding! imagine that contract on the islanders.

Not just that, I'm blown away how badly Huberdeau's playing. Pierre LeBrun said "he's not in a good place mentally, taking this hard" (somewhat paraphrasing) and I kinda felt for the guy. The canadian hockey media can be brutal

I just saw him being interviewed before the game, talking about his goal. He looks like he's aged 10 years since FLA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad