GDT: GDT #14 New York Islanders @ Edmonton Oilers | November 13th | 8:30 PM | F/4-1 L

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
we have less points than games played. how could that possibly translate to a 92 point pace lmao. in reality it's probably 77ish at this point
I'm joking. I don't do point paces. I'm more concerned with how many team we're buried under.

Good Luck convincing Ownership....
Unless Casey's comments have a real ripple effect
I hope Casey Cizikas just convinced ownership there's a problem.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Lou is out no matter what at end of year. I think he will get chance to save this season. No matter what you can’t give up 14 games in, you just can’t.
Interesting thought about Lou's situation. We know the Islanders extended his contract without having a press release about it. They effectively said "if you see him here, assume we extended him." But how long was his contract extension?

It is likely Lou was extended for just 1 year. Will the Islanders simply tell him to walk away at the end of the season and announce his retirement to save him the embarrassment of being removed from his position? Would they fire him in season? Smart money says the Isles will ask Lou to simply walk away at the end of this season.

Yes that’s probably coming when they return home, Gallant is obvious choice. Hynes also, I don’t remember but did Lou hire hIm in Jersey?
Ray Shero hired Hynes.

Reactions: DerekKingSnipes

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
One of us predicted this the moment he was hired. Lou completely forgot how to build a team through the draft. With all the difficulties the Islander franchise had in attracting star veteran players the only way to make this team a contender was to continue through the draft primarily- something a former GM who shall not be named understood. Sad but only now at the end do people understand. Give it another 15 years and a new voice for a GM and maybe y’all will see a Cup.

Funny reading old posts though such as these.
So when the team does well it’s Snow’s roster, but when the team shits the bed it’s Lou’s roster. Got it.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
The team looks shorn of confidence. Absolutely no guts and no will. Too many complacent players on big paychecks who know they'll be playing next game no matter what.. Why drop Fasching, who actually tries, never Lee or Pageau who do nothing?
The played with no punch at all last night. No physicality. No desperation. Nothing. Worst goalie in the league and he looked like a world beater. That defense is a mess with Dobson and Aho getting minutes. We should actually get our top pairing out when our first line is out given the amount of turnovers Barzal is generating.

At this point, there is nothing about Wally's game that says NHL. JGP saddled with him last night was a disaster. Lee is what he is. Not a player that helps a lot in transition. Putting a slower wing with Lee and JGP is a mistake. Clutterbuck, who was our second or third best forward last night should have been moved up. 4th line for Wally and limited minutes.

2nd unit powerplay - wow. They stink.

Hannifan for Pelech plus would make me give thanks. Particularly if Aho and Wally went with him.

Pulock-Hannifan
Romanov - Dobson
Bolduc - Mayfield

A nice Mass product for Lou to get.

And goodbye coaches.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’d be shocked if they fired Lou in season, absolutely shocked. Lambert is gone when they come home, I’d almost guarantee that even if they win the next three games. I also believe we will see some players moved out as much as they can cap wise.

If they won all 3 he might be okay. The East has been sort of mid thus far. BOS/NYR/DET are doing what most expected they'd do. CAR has been a disaster on D for some reason, TOR has been inconsistent, TB misses Vas. FLA has been by far most impressive with all the injuries they have. Nobody else has been exceptionally good or awful overall. I think that gives the Isles a shot with 3 out of 4 wins to get right back in it whereas last year by 11/15 if you were where they're at you were in trouble since the whole conference just flew out of the gate. MTL/PHL/WSH are the only teams in my mind we can safely say will not make the playoffs and that is just based on roster construction and where they are age wise etc.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
If they won all 3 he might be okay. The East has been sort of mid thus far. BOS/NYR/DET are doing what most expected they'd do. CAR has been a disaster on D for some reason, TOR has been inconsistent, TB misses Vas. FLA has been by far most impressive with all the injuries they have. Nobody else has been exceptionally good or awful overall. I think that gives the Isles a shot with 3 out of 4 wins to get right back in it whereas last year by 11/15 if you were where they're at you were in trouble since the whole conference just flew out of the gate. MTL/PHL/WSH are the only teams in my mind we can safely say will not make the playoffs and that is just based on roster construction and where they are age wise etc.
IMG_2064.gif

In the words of Seth Meyers, Really?

I don’t have enough words or energy to reply further so there’s just this.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Oh great the game is starting again on MSG. 10am new York time .

maybe this time we win ?

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Isles don't have enough game breaking talent. Good looks at the net and scoring opportunities come in a split second and players have to finish. This team doesn't generate a ton of shots or scoring opportunities, and when it does, the shot is rushed(understandably) and either misses the net or shot into the goalies crest.
Nelson had like 10 shots last night and couldn't bury it. Palms did as well. There will be nights those chances go in and this team scores 4-5 goals a game. Those will be the outliers and fools gold.
It can be painful, long and is not sexy, but this team has to build through the draft. If the Isles continue to falter, it may be time to accumulate as many darts to be thrown at the dart board.
LGI

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Isles don't have enough game breaking talent. Good looks at the net and scoring opportunities come in a split second and players have to finish. This team doesn't generate a ton of shots or scoring opportunities, and when it does, the shot is rushed(understandably) and either misses the net or shot into the goalies crest.
Nelson had like 10 shots last night and couldn't bury it. Palms did as well. There will be nights those chances go in and this team scores 4-5 goals a game. Those will be the outliers and fools gold.
It can be painful, long and is not sexy, but this team has to build through the draft. If the Isles continue to falter, it may be time to accumulate as many darts to be thrown at the dart board.
LGI
build through the draft is a nice sentiment - but every team drafts in every round. I don't see how any one team can expect to "beat the market" on finding gems in the draft. I've not seen any analysis of any team that's better/worse at this, aside from landing an elite player at the top of the draft of course.

Given the parity, (the 3pt unbalanced scoring confuses the standings and the parity narrative of course), the salary cap/cap management inflexibility, the guaranteed contracts - mistakes can cripple a franchise and pivoting is near impossible.

Although you're bang-on with the lack of game-breaking talent, it's no excuse. Vegas won a cup (yes they had Eichel) with contributions from 20 players and a no-name goalie.

These are the top 20 scorers over the past 5 years.
In the last 8 cup champions, only six players (3 TB, 2 COL and Sid) have touched a Stanley Cup.

The media narrative is usually dead-wrong about how we think about players and teams and what wins.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-14 112748.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-14 112748.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 2

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
build through the draft is a nice sentiment - but every team drafts in every round. I don't see how any one team can expect to "beat the market" on finding gems in the draft. I've not seen any analysis of any team that's better/worse at this, aside from landing an elite player at the top of the draft of course.

Given the parity, (the 3pt unbalanced scoring confuses the standings and the parity narrative of course), the salary cap/cap management inflexibility, the guaranteed contracts - mistakes can cripple a franchise and pivoting is near impossible.

Although you're bang-on with the lack of game-breaking talent, it's no excuse. Vegas won a cup (yes they had Eichel) with contributions from 20 players and a no-name goalie.

These are the top 20 scorers over the past 5 years.
In the last 8 cup champions, only six players (3 TB, 2 COL and Sid) have touched a Stanley Cup.

The media narrative is usually dead-wrong about how we think about players and teams and what wins.
The draft is a crapshoot. We all know it. It’s a crapshoot I want my team being a part of.

Here’s something else we all know or should know.

Nearly every recent Cup winner has had multiple major contributors from top 10 draft picks and typically with one or more future HOF players on the roster.

Let that sink in and feel free to get back to me after you look at the Isles roster.

Reactions: redbull

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The draft is a crapshoot. We all know it. It’s a crapshoot I want my team being a part of.

Here’s something else we all know or should know.

Nearly every recent Cup winner has had multiple major contributors from top 10 draft picks and typically with one or more future HOF players on the roster.

Let that sink in and feel free to get back to me after you look at the Isles roster.

Were they Hall of Famers before they won the cup though? Usually not, right?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Were they Hall of Famers before they won the cup though? Usually not, right?
Fair point. It was in the back of my mind as I posted it. I was hoping no one would bring it up but a good argument on your part.

Notwithstanding that, I’d say projecting anyone on the current squad to be in the HOF would be a bit optimistic.

Now let’s look at the other part of my post. We have a single top 10 draft pick on our entire roster (Horvat). Good luck with that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Fair point. It was in the back of my mind as I posted it. I was hoping no one would bring it up but a good argument on your part.

Notwithstanding that, I’d say projecting anyone on the current squad to be in the HOF would be a bit optimistic.

Now let’s look at the other part of my post. We have a single top 10 draft pick on our entire roster (Horvat). Good luck with that.

Absolutely, just one of those things that gets brought up when looking back at cup winning teams.

It's an interesting point about not having top 10 draft picks on the roster but I do wonder how concrete that is for the blueprint for winning. For instance, Jay Bouwmeester was a top 10 pick and won a cup with St. Louis at the very end of his career when he had little impact. He's just the first guy that popped into my head so I haven't really looked into it much.

Then there's obviously the Avalanche/Lightning on the other side of that where their top 10 picks are making significant contributions.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Absolutely, just one of those things that gets brought up when looking back at cup winning teams.

It's an interesting point about not having top 10 draft picks on the roster but I do wonder how concrete that is for the blueprint for winning. For instance, Jay Bouwmeester was a top 10 pick and won a cup with St. Louis at the very end of his career when he had little impact. He's just the first guy that popped into my head so I haven't really looked into it much.

Then there's obviously the Avalanche/Lightning on the other side of that where their top 10 picks are making significant contributions.
The Blues were an exception. A team considered a one-off that had a hot goalie carry them to the cup If you look back you’ll find the majority of the cup winners in the hard cap era were led by a star who was a top-10 puck.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Blues were an exception. A team considered a one-off that had a hot goalie carry them to the cup If you look back you’ll find the majority of the cup winners in the hard cap era were led by a star who was a top-10 puck.

I wasn't even sure they didn't have any other top ten picks. Looking at a list now and it looks like Pietrangelo was a fourth overall.

Vegas, Colorado, Tampa Bay, Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Los Angeles all had at least one major contributor who was too.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I wasn't even sure they didn't have any other top ten picks. Looking at a list now and it looks like Pietrangelo was a fourth overall.

Vegas, Colorado, Tampa Bay, Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Los Angeles all had at least one major contributor who was too.
It’s not impossible to win without that kind of higg end talent. I think Lou was trying to build enough around Sorokin to win, by getting offense by committee and giving up 2 goals a game. But the league changed. The officiating favors speed and quick luck movement, and penalizes the type of restraining penalties we consistently take. That’s why I keep saying we’re not built for today’s NHL. We were built for the heavy game and our core has just about aged out.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It’s not impossible to win without that kind of higg end talent. I think Lou was trying to build enough around Sorokin to win, by getting offense by committee and giving up 2 goals a game. But the league changed. The officiating favors speed and quick luck movement, and penalizes the type of restraining penalties we consistently take. That’s why I keep saying we’re not built for today’s NHL. We were built for the heavy game and our core has just about aged out.
I think you can naturally sunset and carve out those players. You are stuck with some.

However, the Isles can’t get stuck with Barzal on the belief he’ll change or improve or whatever people want to project onto him. So, the isles need to re-allocate his $9M towards a different player or players.

And Vegas actually acquired those two players: Eichel and Pietrangelo. They didn’t have a homegrown Top 10.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I think you can play a similar style but you need a team that can skate. Unfortunately, this team doesn't have that.

And Vegas actually acquired those two players: Eichel and Pietrangelo. They didn’t have a homegrown Top 10.

I don't think it matters how you get them as long as you get them.

I've always wanted this team to target disgruntled or change of scenery types but they don't ever want to take that risk. Sometimes that's what it takes to get those types of pieces.

Reactions: redbull

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
We suck ass.

Trade Barzal and Sorokin ASAP.

Make Horvat captain of this sinking ship and let the dark times roll.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I think you can naturally sunset and carve out those players. You are stuck with some.

However, the Isles can’t get stuck with Barzal on the belief he’ll change or improve or whatever people want to project onto him. So, the isles need to re-allocate his $9M towards a different player or players.

On Barzal, I really believe he's got way more value to other teams. Most pro scouts are morons, they don't watch other teams (especially the Islanders) that closely, and at a glance, Barzal still looks like a superstar (to non-hardcore-fans). I would absolutely move him. I think to those who see his potential, the money/term aren't at all unattractive either.

Would I want a guy like Huberdeau in return? not a chance with that term - but I bet if it were two years ago a Huberdeau for Barzal would look much more interesting. I'm not sure who that guy is, frankly a lot of "maybe superstars" have changed hands a lot, mixed results. There's Laine, Gaudreau, M.Tkachuk, Eichel and some top 5 busts like Puljujarvi.

Even Horvat, how he was acquired and locked up (much like Huberdeau coincidentally) is a move that maybe looked understandable at the time, but he's not enough of an offensive player for that salary/term, not as a primary piece.

On the draft, of course a top10 is easier/better, top three is optimal, unrealistic though.
BUT so many 2nd/3rd rounders become superstars, but not on Long Island (Sorokin notwithstanding) - and missing on guys like Wahlstrom donsn't help.

Bottom line, you need a really strong GM who's a visionary, aggressive and quick decisions on assessing his OWN players/prospects and other teams. Whether it's Raty/Beauvillier (who nobody misses, today) or identifying a Jason Robertson type on another team (someone with potential that other teams may mis-read) - I'm not sure I trust this regime at all though.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
All you have to do is watch and see if Ledecky continues to sit down low behind the net during some of the home games if the slide continues and no changes are made after the road trip .He won't want to be with the angry peasants when the time for pitchforks come out, and that's when there will be smoke to any firing fires.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad