GDT: GDT #14 New York Islanders @ Edmonton Oilers | November 13th | 8:30 PM | F/4-1 L

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
1699903559705.png

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (5-5-3) AT EDMONTON OILERS (3-9-1)

8:30 PM ET | ROGERS PLACE

WATCH: MSGSN | MSG+ | ESPN+

LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 1050AM

The New York Islanders are hoping a change of scenery can lead to a change in results, as the team kicks off a four-game Western Conference road trip in Edmonton on Monday night.

Currently on a four-game winless skid (0-3-1), the Islanders will play Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle and Calgary in a span of six days, marking the team’s first multi-game trip of the season. The Isles are 0-2-2 in the team’s past four home games and are 2-2-0 on the road this season.

The Isles are most recently coming off a 4-1 loss to the Washington Capitals on Saturday night at UBS Arena. Alexander Romanov scored his first goal of the season, despite the team racking up 98 shot attempts – a franchise record in the Real-Time Era, per team statistician Eric Hornick.

The Oilers picked up their third win of the season with a 4-1 victory over the Seattle Kraken on Saturday night on the power of a Zach Hyman hat-trick. Edmonton snapped a four-game losing streak with the triumph in the Emerald City.

1699903573018.png

ISLANDERS NOTES

- Edmonton has been a traditionally tricky place to play for the Islanders, who are 1-7-3 in their last 11 trips to oil country (since 2003). The home team has won each of the past four matchups between the Isles and Oilers. The Isles last win in Edmonton came on March 7, 2017.
- Adam Pelech missed his second straight game on Saturday night, as the defenseman is listed as day-to-day with a lower-body injury, the same ailment that forced him the Isles Nov. 2 win over Washington. Pelech has missed three of the Islanders last four games and the Isles are 0-2-1 over that span.
- Bo Horvat has seven points in his last seven games after picking up an assist on Saturday night. Horvat has 10 points (4G, 6A) in 12 games.
- The Islanders have been outscored 11-3 in third periods over the past six games. They’ve gone 1-3-2 over that span.
- Noah Dobson leads the Islanders with 12 points (4G, 8A) in 13 games. Dobson’s next assist will the 100th of his career and will put him in a tie with Pelech and Bryan Berard for 15th on the team’s defense assists list. Dobson (34 career goals) can tie Johnny Boychuk (35 goals) for 10th on the team’s defense goals list with his next goal.
- The Isles are 0-5-0 when allowing the first goal of the game.

OILERS NOTES

- The Oilers made a coaching change on Sunday, relieving Head Coach Jay Woodcroft and Assistant Coach Dave Manson and hiring Kris Knoblauch.
Woodcroft had a 79-41-13 record over parts of three seasons with the Oilers. Woodcroft’s first NHL game and win as a head coach came against the Islanders on Feb. 11, 2022.
Knoblauch has served as the Head Coach of the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack since 2019. Prior to Hartford, Knoblauch spent two seasons (2017-19) as an Assistant Coach with the Philadelphia Flyers.
Knoblauch previously coached the OHL’s Erie Otters from 2012-17, culminating in an OHL championship in 2017. Islanders’ defenseman Adam Pelech played two seasons under Knoblauch in Erie. Knoblauch also coached Oilers captain Connor McDavid for three seasons in Erie.
The Oilers also announced that special advisor Paul Coffey will join the bench as an assistant.
- The Oilers assigned goaltender Jack Campbell to Bakersfield on Nov. 8, one day after placing the netminder on waivers. Campbell was 1-4-0 to start the season with a 4.50 GAA and a .873 SV%. Campbell is in the second year of a five-year contract. Campbell has a 93-52-18 career record with a 2.76 GAA, a .909 SV% and 10 shutouts over nine years with Dallas, LA, Toronto and Edmonton.
- Calvin Pickard was recalled from Bakersfield in a corresponding move. Pickard is 35-54-10 with a 3.04 GAA, a .903. SV% and four shutouts in his NHL career with Colorado, Toronto, Philadelphia, Arizona and most recently Detroit. Pickard last played in the NHL in the 2021-22 season.
- Stuart Skinner has seen the most starts in goal this season for Edmonton. Skinner is 2-5-1 this season with a 3.53 GAA and a .861 SV%. Skinner went 29-14-5 last season with a 2.75 GAA, a .914 SV% and one shutout.
- Zach Hyman recorded a natural hat trick in the first period of Edmonton’s 4-1 win over the Seattle Kraken on Saturday. Hyman leads the Oilers with seven goals and is second on the team with 13 points.
- Leon Draisaitl leads the Oilers with 15 points (5G, 10A). Draisaitl’s two-game point streak was snapped on Saturday in Seattle. Three of Draisaitl’s five goals and six of his 15 points have come on the power play. Draisaitl is first in Oilers history with 128 power-play goals.
- Connor McDavid has 10 points (2G, 8A) in 11 games this season. After starting the season with two goals in his first three games, the Oilers captain has gone eight games without a goal. McDavid has won the Art Ross Trophy in each of the past three seasons, including 153 points last year.
- The Oilers are allowing 3.92 goals against per game, which is the third-highest in the NHL.
- The Oilers have 19 first period goals this season, tied for third in the NHL.

-------------

Finally, Lambert scratches Matt Martin and Hudson Fasching.

Barzal-Horvat-Holmstrom
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Lee-Pageau-Wahlstrom
Gauthier-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Pelech-Dobson
Romanov-Pulock
Aho-Mayfield

Sorokin
Varlamov

Aho-Mayfield Sorokin Varlamov

Last edited by a moderator:

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I think part of Casey's anger from the other night is the realization that negative results are going to lead to the band being broken up, slowly. Bailey last year, Martin scratched now. Lee losing a top line role. All necessary imo.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think part of Casey's anger from the other night is the realization that negative results are going to lead to the band being broken up, slowly. Bailey last year, Martin scratched now. Lee losing a top line role. All necessary imo.
Scratching guys to just scratch guys doesn’t really have much of purpose, especially when they may be hampered by their physical limitations.

If the Isles actually had some players pushing for these spots, then that’s a different story. However, other than swapping skating ability Gauthier ain’t doing much.

The Isles need a guy like Walstrom to step up like Holmstrom is, but it ain’t gonna happen for him. Dobson filled a void and is stepping up. Some of the other hope and dreamers are just that, hopes and dreams.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Dear Top Six,

Please score. When shooting, DON'T aim for the big logo in the middle. Because then you MIGHT hit one of the upper corners!

Love,

Bones
There you go. I put on my teacher cap and made some corrections.

Reactions: Bones45

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
....trying to get Bailey... OFF THE ICE
You know, it took some time, but you have ultimately been successful in your endeavor.

Good luck, Isles. I don’t see a W in their immediately future.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Martin was scratched because the Oilers are a fast team...that's it.

Just heard on an Oilers podcast that the Isles haven't even had a practice yet

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Call me crazy,,,,,I don't know why I have this feeling but I don't think that scoring will not be an issue tonight ( and yes I am talking about The Islanders scoring NOT the bad guys ) that said If Sorokin plays like a mere mortal it won't matter and we will get beat,,,in other news if anyone wants the power ball #'s just ask ( :

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Did Butch just say that Wahlstrom has found his game? When? Did I miss it?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
McDavid should sign with the Isles! We are a team of REAL MEN! Lou said so!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad