GDT: GDT #13 Washington Capitols vs New York Islanders | November 11th | 7:30 PM | F/4-1 L

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I agree. I was genuinely more interested in the HONEST opinion of posters here regarding the Isles effort yesterday.

Skimming through several posts I was just surprised that their effort was being called out.

I think if anything, focusing on effort (in this game) is misguided at best and completely avoids more concerning issues at worst.

That’s to say that there are things more concerning* than effort, and focusing on effort as a reason is kind of giving individuals in the organization an easy pass.

* As usual you’re concise post has already mentioned some of those things.
I don’t think the team has mailed in a game yet. It’s been a combination portions where they play well and don’t cash in enough of their chances, followed by getting outplayed and being forced into penalties and turnovers.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
I don’t think the team has mailed in a game yet. It’s been a combination portions where they play well and don’t cash in enough of their chances, followed by getting outplayed and being forced into penalties and turnovers.
They certainly mailed in the game in Buffalo. Imagine if they reacted to being down 3-0 like the Hurricanes did against us.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They certainly mailed in the game in Buffalo. Imagine if they reacted to being down 3-0 like the Hurricanes did against us.
I didn’t see a lack of effort. Both of those teams have the ability to play up tempo hockey. We were simply out-talented.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Tuesday night vs. Minnesota was the lowest UBS attendance and now they just dropped another game on veterans night where one of the longest tenured Islanders just told the fans to stay home. Brilliant, I hope they do and attendance continues to PLUMMET!

The easiest way to “vote” in the NHL as a fan is with your wallet because the NHL relies so much on ticket revenue.

I still predict in the coming years it will look like the dark days of Nassau and Barclays and possibly worse, that arena is such a pain in the ass to get to, fans will travel if the team is competitive but besides that there is no point in going there, at least with Nassau it is easy to get to and there is history there, I have no idea why anyone would go to UBS if they did not think the team had a chance at the playoffs.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I still predict in the coming years it will look like the dark days of Nassau and Barclays and possibly worse, that arena is such a pain in the ass to get to, fans will travel if the team is competitive but besides that there is no point in going there, at least with Nassau it is easy to get to and there is history there, I have no idea why anyone would go to UBS if they did not think the team had a chance at the playoffs.
To honest the traffic heading west to UBS the past couple of Saturdays has been brutal, kinda makes me second guess heading to arena. I expect delays during the week, but the weekend come on

Has Casey walked back his comments from last night yet?

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
With Casey sticking up for Lane, tells me Lane is a players coach, and the players are way too comfortable with mediocre. players need a knot snapped outta their ass. I think it’s the players, not Lane, but you can’t fire half the players. If Lane gets fired, better be replaced with a hard ass
You can’t fire half the players but you can trade a core player like Barzal. I think a trade of that magnitude would have a bigger impact than firing the coach.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Pageau is useless. This team needs to trim the fat

Yep, find myself thinking this often when I watch him play. He’s only, what, 29? That’s pretty early for such a sudden demise.

Lee is another one, but his makes more sense. Though both of these guys have had sharp declines; it’s not even subtle.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yep, find myself thinking this often when I watch him play. He’s only, what, 29? That’s pretty early for such a sudden demise.

Lee is another one, but his makes more sense. Though both of these guys have had sharp declines; it’s not even subtle.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Hasn’t been the same player since his injury in the 2nd ECF run. I don’t even remember what it was. Wrist maybe?
A GM or coach can’t be blamed for a guy that hasn’t really returned to ‘normal’ since his injury.

It’s unfortunate and understandable, it’s just the way it is sometimes. He can still play, he’s just not as effective as he was and certainly more of a $2.5M guy at this point.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Hasn’t been the same player since his injury in the 2nd ECF run. I don’t even remember what it was. Wrist maybe?

It’s also a function of the hard mins and situations he plays in; cumulative effect.

This team needs an overhaul, sans in goal.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I'd trade Barzal in a heartbeat. A heart beat
And that would confirm my thoughts on the typical Islander fan.

Casey’s right most should stay home if they are going to act like that. Good for him. So called Islander fans need to hear this. I’m the first one to say on an Internet forum that if this team’s play doesn’t improve they need to replace Lambert. I’m the last guy to embarrass someone like that in public classless! Just as classless as the billboard signs were. You wanted Lou. Now you got Lou.

Trade Barzal. Cmon! What are you going to have left? He’s the only one other than Dobson and Sorokin with any real talent on this team. Barzal is the feeder. Horvat is supposed to be the finisher. Start with Horvats lack of finish as part of the problem. Barzal’s easily worth his salary. Horvat looks like a 3rd liner most nights.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Let me repeat that again. Islander fans have to stop acting like shit. Casey was right. No problem people venting in a forum like this but publicly acting like that is terrible. Felt bad for Lambert. Show some class. No one on that team owes us anything. Casey’s right it’s a joke.

Reminds of the day Mark Parrish told booing fans to stay home or Wangs epic “sit down and shut up”. Good stuff and appreciated too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ndgolden

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Let me repeat that again. Islander fans have to stop acting like shit. Casey was right. No problem people venting in a forum like this but publicly acting like that is terrible. Felt bad for Lambert. Show some class. No one on that team owes us anything. Casey’s right it’s a joke.

Reminds of the day Mark Parrish told booing fans to stay home or Wangs epic “sit down and shut up”. Good stuff and appreciated too.
Reminds me of one of the bosses of my Aussie Rules team. A membership to an Aussie Rules team is the same as a season ticket essentially. You pay and it gets you into games.
To a disgruntled fan he simply said "shut up and buy a membership". Didn't win him a lot of fans among supporters!

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
And that would confirm my thoughts on the typical Islander fan.

Casey’s right most should stay home if they are going to act like that. Good for him. So called Islander fans need to hear this. I’m the first one to say on an Internet forum that if this team’s play doesn’t improve they need to replace Lambert. I’m the last guy to embarrass someone like that in public classless! Just as classless as the billboard signs were. You wanted Lou. Now you got Lou.

Trade Barzal. Cmon! What are you going to have left? He’s the only one other than Dobson and Sorokin with any real talent on this team. Barzal is the feeder. Horvat is supposed to be the finisher. Start with Horvats lack of finish as part of the problem. Barzal’s easily worth his salary. Horvat looks like a 3rd liner most nights.
Look, I don't like classless behaviour and have always called out our own stupidity particularly with the over the top Tavares stuff but fans chanting for the ouster of coaches is a timeless tradition. Fighting it is a waste of time.

Regarding Horvat, I think he is indicative of all of our troubles. Not him per se but that idea around acquiring him. Lou made that trade like it was a "final piece" type trade when this team was far from being in a situation where they needed just one piece. He was having a career year in Vancouver because they literally just turned him loose on offense, then, as soon as he got here they asked him to be a complete player and play within the system. There's nothing wrong with that but to expect him to be a "finisher" when he's carrying a big load in all phases of the game is kind of silly. If we just needed a finisher go out and get a Phil Kessel or Mark Stone.

How long have we road with the core of this team? To think that going out and getting Horvat was going to be like acquiring Goring in 1980 was faulty thinking. And that's not on Horvat, that's not on Lane....... That's on Lou!

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Look, I don't like classless behaviour and have always called out our own stupidity particularly with the over the top Tavares stuff but fans chanting for the ouster of coaches is a timeless tradition. Fighting it is a waste of time.

Regarding Horvat, I think he is indicative of all of our troubles. Not him per se but that idea around acquiring him. Lou made that trade like it was a "final piece" type trade when this team was far from being in a situation where they needed just one piece. He was having a career year in Vancouver because they literally just turned him loose on offense, then, as soon as he got here they asked him to be a complete player and play within the system. There's nothing wrong with that but to expect him to be a "finisher" when he's carrying a big load in all phases of the game is kind of silly. If we just needed a finisher go out and get a Phil Kessel or Mark Stone.

How long have we road with the core of this team? To think that going out and getting Horvat was going to be like acquiring Goring in 1980 was faulty thinking. And that's not on Horvat, that's not on Lane....... That's on Lou!
Horvat looking like one of this franchises worse transactions ever.

• Haha
Reactions: The Wahligator

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I agree with you've said, but isn't that why one should consider trading him? He's being wasted. There are many teams where he'd fit, as a player, much better than he does with the Islanders. It's insane to me that nobody on his line did anything with the looks he generated. I can't believe sometimes that there's no shots that result, much less goals scored.

There's going to be some shuffling first, but I'm feeling more inclined to saying that NYI ought to consider dealing Barzal, Nelson, and Pulock. I'd consider anyone else too, but I don't see much value in anyone else.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yup, Barzal is so special everyone just can’t match his talents and they are being wasted.

How many more years are people gonna believe this hocus pocus?

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I Gotta a Bad Feeling on this game tonight in Edmonton....
Oilers gonna go thru a brick wall for their new coach?
Maybe or Maybe not, however I think the Oilers will be max effort tonight, So it's probably back to having circles skated around us again...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad