GDT: GDT #13 Washington Capitols vs New York Islanders | November 11th | 7:30 PM | F/4-1 L

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The Isles need to break up the core. The 4th line needs to go but I’m thinking way more than that. The situations in Ottawa and Calgary bear watching. Not to mention Pettersson in Vancouver. The Isles need to move a few of their core pieces. Changing the fringes isn’t enough.
Calgary is same as us, there is very little there we should be interested in. Pettersson sure but Canucks are in good place right now, Tkacuk is last guy sens are trading and he’s never expressed any interest in wanting out. I agree there are core guys needing to go but those are guys like Nelson, Palmieri and perhaps Pageau and Lee who are guys with less term on their deals.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
2 goals in 13 games? Barzal is actually at the top of this team's issues.

If Barzal scored at the elite level you hold him out to be, a lot of the other problems the Islanders have would pale in comparison.
It’s not just the goals. His all around play has been bad. Barzal looks lost on the wing. Isles should trade him for a true first line wing to play with Horvat.

Reactions: Throttle

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
2 goals in 13 games? Barzal is actually at the top of this team's issues.

If Barzal scored at the elite level you hold him out to be, a lot of the other problems the Islanders have would pale in comparison.
See your putting words in my mouth, I never said he was elite or untouchable. I’m saying he’s still a 26 year first line player on a team with very little skill and speed.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Calgary is same as us, there is very little there we should be interested in. Pettersson sure but Canucks are in good place right now, Tkacuk is last guy sens are trading and he’s never expressed any interest in wanting out. I agree there are core guys needing to go but those are guys like Nelson, Palmieri and perhaps Pageau and Lee who are guys with less term on their deals.
Nelson is the only player you mentioned that has value. The rest are cap dumps that will require an asset to move.

What about Hanifin or Lindholm? I would trade for either. Other than Dobson there is not a defenseman on the Isles I wouldn’t trade for a signed Hanifin.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
it’s not a good feeling, team seems on precipice of falling apart. We will see how trip goes but right now it looks bleak the way things are going.

They would be trading almost certainly the best player in trade, you’re not getting anyone that roster NHLer that’s anything but underachieving or you’re getting futures. He’s 26, prime NHLer and should by no means be guy that should be offloaded.

I’ve loved Barzal but the sad truth is with all his talent he doesn’t take over games or put the team in his back like a $9.5 million player should. At some point we can’t blame coaching or the roster around him. You think it matters who Mackinnon or Hughes is coached by or plays with?

LOL Yeah, when it comes to not producing for his coach, this is not Horvat's First Rodeo either! He has experience with exactly this just recently!!!!

To be fair, he was producing for VAN and one of the leading goal scorers.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Nelson is the only player you mentioned that has value. The rest are cap dumps that will require an asset to move.

What about Hanifin or Lindholm? I would trade for either. Other than Dobson there is not a defenseman on the Isles I wouldn’t trade for a signed Hanifin.
Lindholm is meh, he’s going to be overpaid and Hanifin is good but we don’t have assets that make sense nor trying to sign him. We re going to have to use picks to dump guys, that reality of where we are right now if we are going to retool this.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
To be fair, he was producing for VAN and one of the leading goal scorers.
Yes he was scoring. I did not mean to imply it was "Him" only, just experience with a bad team and fans chanting for the Coach to be fired.
I like Horvat btw...

Barzal can't finish often enough. It's his shot. Not accurate enough and not hard enough.

Reactions: SI90

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Lindholm is meh, he’s going to be overpaid and Hanifin is good but we don’t have assets that make sense nor trying to sign him. We re going to have to use picks to dump guys, that reality of where we are right now if we are going to retool this.
Pelech and Lee for a signed Hanifin and Lindholm?

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Pelech and Lee for a signed Hanifin and Lindholm?
Tbh Calgary doesn’t do that, Lee could be buyout guy if his current trend continues but can’t see anyone trading for him. I do think they could get someone to take Palmieri with only year left on his deal and some salary retained. Pageau also in a similar deal with some retained salary. Nelson could get them good pieces if you want to go that route and I could see them trying to trade one of Pelech or Pulock.

Reactions: The Real JT

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Tbh Calgary doesn’t do that, Lee could be buyout guy if his current trend continues but can’t see anyone trading for him. I do think they could get someone to take Palmieri with only year left on his deal and some salary retained. Pageau also in a similar deal with some retained salary. Nelson could get them good pieces if you want to go that route and I could see them trying to trade one of Pelech or Pulock.
Ok so substitute Palmieri for Lee in my trade proposal. I’d still do it.

He’s breaking down. Best to trade him while he still has somewhat of a shutdown reputation
Agreed and while you can get a core piece back.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
See your putting words in my mouth, I never said he was elite or untouchable. I’m saying he’s still a 26 year first line player on a team with very little skill and speed.
I'm not putting words in your mouth. As a first line player in his 8th year here, in his prime at 26 years old, Barzal should have already been scoring at an elite level. That hasn't happened here and it is a big problem.

I’ve loved Barzal but the sad truth is with all his talent he doesn’t take over games or put the team in his back like a $9.5 million player should. At some point we can’t blame coaching or the roster around him. You think it matters who Mackinnon or Hughes is coached by or plays with?
The skills Mat Barzal has don't carry a team. He's better suited for Da Beauty League.

On the Islanders Barzal is a square peg.

Reactions: SI90

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The guy creates a majority of our offense and yet he’s the problem, I don’t understand it. They aren’t trading him but it’s a mistake if they did.
How much longer can this narrative go on?

Only on the Isles the most talented, ‘best’ player, and highest paid have a litany of fan excuses to come out of the woodwork.

It’s not just the goals. His all around play has been bad. Barzal looks lost on the wing. Isles should trade him for a true first line wing to play with Horvat.
And this will solve a lot of other problems on the ice too since the rest of the team is beholden to his style of play that doesn’t mesh with anyone.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Not Tkachuk no, Pettersson sure

We will just disagree on this, he’s at bottom of list of this teams issues.
Is he though? This team struggles to score goals and he plays on the top line and top PP. We are basically bottom on the nhl in offensive output. Can’t see how the top line and top pp aren’t part of that problem.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
The game in Vancouver coming up may be the straw that breaks the camels back. If they get shellacked (likely) in Bo's return game and the taunts rain down, I think that will be catalyst for any changes that may be forthcoming. Gonna get worse before it gets better I fear.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Ok. Obviously everyone is frustrated because of where things are overall and the outcome of this game specifically.

But do people really think that there was a lack of effort by the Islanders yesterday? They played a very good game overall. The Horvat line specifically had high danger chances all night long.

Now if you want to criticize their execution, or previous efforts… I can see that.

Just curious, because despite how annoying this game was. I didn’t see the Isles coasting… rather they seemingly controlled most of the play. But with nothing to show for it.

Reactions: Big L and Lek

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ok. Obviously everyone is frustrated because of where things are overall and the outcome of this game specifically.

But do people really think that there was a lack of effort by the Islanders yesterday? They played a very good game overall. The Horvat line specifically had high danger chances all night long.

Now if you want to criticize their execution, of previous efforts… I can see that.

I think they've strung together some good efforts back to back, the issue is that those efforts are still resulting in losses. Even for the optimistic it's becoming increasingly frustrating when the same problems persist year after year and the added players aren't moving the needle enough. There are only so many ways to augment the roster and it seems like there might not be enough juice left to squeeze.

On paper this roster is better than the start of last season but how are they in the standings?

Right now they're 5-5-3 with 13 points and 14th in the Conference.
Last season they were 8-5 with 16 points and 5th in the Conference.

It's not only the points and standings, it's that the issues the team has had continue to be the same. The Power Play is still bad. Scoring goals is a problem in general. Penalties (for vs against) continues to be a struggle.

On the season I think the positives we've seen so far are:

1) Holmstrom seems to be progressing
2) Dobson is taking another step it seems

A few forwards have had good stretches but nobody is stringing things together consistently. There's time to turn things around but it needs to happen very quickly. I don't see this team as being the type that can rattle of ten straight wins to get back into the race if they fall too far back.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I'm not putting words in your mouth. As a first line player in his 8th year here, in his prime at 26 years old, Barzal should have already been scoring at an elite level. That hasn't happened here and it is a big problem.

The skills Mat Barzal has don't carry a team. He's better suited for Da Beauty League.

On the Islanders Barzal is a square peg.

I felt that if Lou wanted to shake up the core trading Barzal this offseason before his NTC kicked in would have been interesting. Doubt this happens now.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think they've strung together some good efforts back to back, the issue is that those efforts are still resulting in losses. Even for the optimistic it's becoming increasingly frustrating when the same problems persist year after year and the added players aren't moving the needle enough. There are only so many ways to augment the roster and it seems like there might not be enough juice left to squeeze.

On paper this roster is better than the start of last season but how are they in the standings?

It's not only the points and standings, it's that the issues the team has had continue to be the same. The Power Play is still bad. Scoring goals is a problem in general. Penalties (for vs against) continues to be a struggle.

A few forwards have had good stretches but nobody is stringing things together consistently. There's time to turn things around but it needs to happen very quickly. I don't see this team as being the type that can rattle of ten straight wins to get back into the race if they fall too far back.
I agree. I was genuinely more interested in the HONEST opinion of posters here regarding the Isles effort yesterday.

Skimming through several posts I was just surprised that their effort was being called out.

I think if anything, focusing on effort (in this game) is misguided at best and completely avoids more concerning issues at worst.

That’s to say that there are things more concerning* than effort, and focusing on effort as a reason is kind of giving individuals in the organization an easy pass.

* As usual you’re concise post has already mentioned some of those things.

Reactions: Big L and PK Cronin

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I felt that if Lou wanted to shake up the core trading Barzal this offseason before his NTC kicked in would have been interesting. Doubt this happens now.
Not sure exactly what you meant, but Barzal's NTC still has not kicked in, so he could be traded anywhere.

Reactions: CupHolders

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
With Casey sticking up for Lane, tells me Lane is a players coach, and the players are way too comfortable with mediocre. players need a knot snapped outta their ass. I think it’s the players, not Lane, but you can’t fire half the players. If Lane gets fired, better be replaced with a hard ass

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Despite all the negativity, the 2 positives you listed are reassuring. They are the type of young cost controlled players that a winning team needs to be successful.

It’s no surprise to me that they are both first round picks. Sure we’ve misfired on a number of first round picks but the more you have, the better your chances to find quality cost controlled talent.

Meanwhile, we’re left to fantasize over 5th rounders like Maggio and Dufour who have promise but are far from sure things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad