Boston Globe GASPER: Don Sweeney has to take a share of blame for Bruins’ problems

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Who is riled up? Nobody is saying that everybody sucks and everyone should be fired. People in charge of the construction of this roster that has chronically underachieved 100% are going to face scrutiny and questions about their job security though. I don't really care about how other fans of "lousy" teams feel about their teams, the fact that my team could and probably should have at least one more cup is all I care about.
"Should have one more cup." Well maybe. I certainly wouldn't have minded that, but let's be fair, the issue here is blame and Sweeney. Was it Sweeney's fault we lost game 7 at home to St. Louis? I think not. If we'd won that game everything is different right? No to mention I think if Bergeron is healthy maybe we would have beaten Chicago too, and then the team would have 3 cup wins and look damn impressive.
I would agree with an argument that maybe this team isn't tough enough any more to play the kind of hockey the system used needed, but if the league has changed (and it has), maybe recognizing that if a reality and the failure to adapt is in fact on Cassidy.
Sweeney (and the scouts) obviously blew 2015. Maybe should have been fired for that right there, fair enough, no argument. But a number of the moves that failed or missed were on paper good moves. Who knew Nash would concuss himself out of hockey for example? Injuries have had a lot to do with why we have come up short. We almost beat Carolina and the team was seriously banged up. We win that 7th game who knows how far we could have gone. Lindholm was a solid add to the team. So was Hall. It hasn't been all bad.

Ultimately, if I had to guess, I think Cassidy vs. Krejci ended up with Krejci leaving and Neely looked back on that and thought if we'd had Krejci we'd have beaten Carolina so goodbye Cassidy. If Krejci does in fact return now it will solidify that idea in my mind.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Its really just the context of each individual. I'm also a Minnesota Vikings fan so most of my frustration goes towards them, making me a lot happier with how the Bruins have done in the past 15 years than most.
Minnesota Vikings! Like purple? ;)

Reactions: NDiesel

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Who is riled up? Nobody is saying that everybody sucks and everyone should be fired. People in charge of the construction of this roster that has chronically underachieved 100% are going to face scrutiny and questions about their job security though. I don't really care about how other fans of "lousy" teams feel about their teams, the fact that my team could and probably should have at least one more cup is all I care about.
Not everyone understands that, unfortunately. We're not demanding the impossible, we're demanding accountability for the chronic shitty moves.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
"Should have one more cup." Well maybe. I certainly wouldn't have minded that, but let's be fair, the issue here is blame and Sweeney. Was it Sweeney's fault we lost game 7 at home to St. Louis? I think not. If we'd won that game everything is different right? No to mention I think if Bergeron is healthy maybe we would have beaten Chicago too, and then the team would have 3 cup wins and look damn impressive.
I would agree with an argument that maybe this team isn't tough enough any more to play the kind of hockey the system used needed, but if the league has changed (and it has), maybe recognizing that if a reality and the failure to adapt is in fact on Cassidy.
Sweeney (and the scouts) obviously blew 2015. Maybe should have been fired for that right there, fair enough, no argument. But a number of the moves that failed or missed were on paper good moves. Who knew Nash would concuss himself out of hockey for example? Injuries have had a lot to do with why we have come up short. We almost beat Carolina and the team was seriously banged up. We win that 7th game who knows how far we could have gone. Lindholm was a solid add to the team. So was Hall. It hasn't been all bad.

Ultimately, if I had to guess, I think Cassidy vs. Krejci ended up with Krejci leaving and Neely looked back on that and thought if we'd had Krejci we'd have beaten Carolina so goodbye Cassidy. If Krejci does in fact return now it will solidify that idea in my mind.
If Krejci left because of Cassidy that is a shame , he let his team down and the fans down , he should have been more of a man about it , and if that is the case I am not sure I really care if he comes back..........I have always the liked the guy but if that is the case......................

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
If Krejci left because of Cassidy that is a shame , he let his team down and the fans down , he should have been more of a man about it , and if that is the case I am not sure I really care if he comes back..........I have always the liked the guy but if that is the case......................
He didn't let anyone down as he was a free agent. What's the point of signing with a team if you feel like you won't gain anything out of it ?

Reactions: BiteThisBurrows

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He didn't let anyone down as he was a free agent. What's the point of signing with a team if you feel like you won't gain anything out of it ?
I know he was a free agent , you are missing the point if doesn't want to play that is fine ,but original post was he did not want to play for Cassidy and if that was the case he could have made a decision sooner..........

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I could hear MacKenzie saying " The Bruins picks as a whole..." then you can hear in the background (a black hole) " must be disappointing for Bruins fans"

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He basically gave them seven years notice, not 2 weeks. He had said leaving was a very real possibility when his current deal was up and nobody was shocked except of course our management.

The Bruins have been riding 37 and 46 for what 17 years now? Not one center developed in all that time, so guess what, we have to hope not one, but both come back.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
To me it has nothing to do with “should have had at least one more Cup.” It has everything to do with “should have been more consistently iced a roster with the best possible chance to compete.”

Leaving Krejci without wingers, incomplete defences, millions of dollars wasted on bench players and healthy scratches - these are what I criticize. But if Sweeney had made the moves and brought in the necessary pieces and the Bruins still lost? not Sweeney’s fault. It’s a difficult trophy to win.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
To me it has nothing to do with “should have had at least one more Cup.” It has everything to do with “should have been more consistently iced a roster with the best possible chance to compete.”

Leaving Krejci without wingers, incomplete defences, millions of dollars wasted on bench players and healthy scratches - these are what I criticize. But if Sweeney had made the moves and brought in the necessary pieces and the Bruins still lost? not Sweeney’s fault. It’s a difficult trophy to win.

Correct. It's always been a difficult trophy to win.

It's also difficult to fill all the holes with a salary cap.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Correct. It's always been a difficult trophy to win.

It's also difficult to fill all the holes with a salary cap.
Yeah… would be a lot easier if they didn’t consistently blow their cap on the aforementioned bench players and healthy scratches. Whole lot of wasted money over the years on guys who couldn’t contribute more than bottom-of-roster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad