Boston Globe GASPER: Don Sweeney has to take a share of blame for Bruins’ problems

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Chris Gasper seldom writes about the Bruins and it appears he dislikes Sweeney getting extended.

He has a valid point about Cam and Sweeney refusing to address the media until a NHL-mandated media call next week in Montreal.

Here are a few items taking up bandwidth in my brain in a streaming of the sports consciousness:

1. The best power-play execution by the Bruins this season belongs to pals and coach-killing coconspirators president Cam Neely and general manager Don Sweeney. The duo convinced the Jacobs family that coach Bruce Cassidy was holding back the Spoked-Bs, not a roster peddling Erik Haula as a second-line center and serving up young players who arrive dead on the vine.

Bottom line: Cassidy was far better at his job than Sweeney, who received a multiyear extension Monday, has demonstrated to be at his since ascending to GM in 2015. Cassidy became a convenient fall guy for the Bruins’ glaring inability to get their prospect pipeline flowing. That was supposed to be Sweeney’s strength when he replaced Peter Chiarelli, architect of the only Bruins Stanley Cup winner post-Nixon presidency.

Instead, we have the infamous/calamitous 2015 draft and an endless parade of pedestrian prospects. The knock on Cassidy’s predecessor, Claude Julien, was also that he couldn’t maximize young talent. Maybe the problem isn’t the bench boss, but that these Maybe-Bs just aren’t good.

Sweeney has hits like blue-chip blue liner Charlie McAvoy and goalie Jeremy Swayman. But not nearly enough of them relative to the teams that are, to borrow the Bruins’ latest buzz phrase, “best in class” in the NHL. Sweeney has essentially coasted on the core he inherited.

2. It sure would be nice to hear from Bruins ownership on their rationale. The overall direction of the franchise feels rudderless. Are they rebuilding on the fly or loading up to take another Cup run with Patrice Bergeron & Co.? The GM gets a multiyear extension during a fork-in-the-road offseason and no one from the Boston’s First Family of Hockey can hop on a Zoom to explain? Disappointing.

If something is written that the Jacobses don’t like, they’ll let you know at light speed. It would be nice to see the same alacrity displayed in explaining major decisions.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Hey Gasper, stay in your lane and out of the Hockey talk. We both know you could care less one way or another.

Another slow day at that hack news paper you work for?

The Sox are smoking no need for YOUR boss to make you write about something you know nothing about.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
The second bullet I guess. The first is the same lazy take repeated over and over without any original thought. Not sure if it’s “right” but it certainly isn’t original. Didn’t KPD do this already for the Globe?
I’m not a Gasper fan, but he’s entitled to his opinion. It’s not a matter of originality and we certainly don’t have to read it. There is a startlingly lack of originality in most sports media anyways.

I just don’t think he should be dismissed outright because he’s doesn’t primarily cover the league.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I’m as hard on Sweeney as anyone. Not sure if people saw the presser after he fired Cassidy, he has taken accountability for the 15 draft and some FA signings. He said he didn’t do a good enough job and has to do better.

Seems like people want him to quit his job in the name of “accountability”, which simply isn’t going to happen.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Doesn’t make him wrong though
I think he’s pretty much nuts on.
200w.webp

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Well Gasper certainly played to the sentiment. At least he didn’t go with anonymous sources like Fluto. You should listen to him and Jim Murray talk hockey sometime. Like two harbor seals talking about the theory of relativity.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chris Gasper ? Is he the TV guy who does the Celtics show on 98.5 Saturday afternoon

Ok we got a Celtics guy weighing in 😂

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
HF member Mick Colageo what his take was on this

Gasper is great describing how Bobby Portis of the Bucks is a match up problem but I’ll go with an actual HF member and sports writer on all this

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well Gasper certainly played to the sentiment. At least he didn’t go with anonymous sources like Fluto. You should listen to him and Jim Murray talk hockey sometime. Like two harbor seals talking about the theory of relativity.
Flute-Oh-for-two digging in

I love those harbah Seals must be the whiskers and puppy dog eyes ~ always hated with all the fish in the sea they had to pick on them

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I haven't read anything by this guy before on any topic. He certainly used a flamethrower for a pen in this column though. Wow.

Not that that is a bad thing this front office needs to feel the heat intensely & constantly.
You should read him. One of the best writers in Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad