News Article: Gary Lawless is at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
Cox and Lawless are cut from the same cloth, GTA trolls. I don`t think that type of reporting or opinion writing fits in this market, his style is rubbing people the wrong way and the dislike for Lawless is growing exponentially now that we have an NHL team and he has another target. He will get spit out of this city within the next 3 years. Book it.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
I'm far from a Gary Lawless supporter, but I have no issue with either article. Now that the season's over, it's time to editorialize, I get that.

In regards to the Buff article, the headline (which he doesn't write) makes it seem like he's all out advocating for Chevy to trade the guy. But if you read the article, he's calling out Buff for his lack of conditioning, focus, effort, whatever.

These are fair criticisms of Buff. He wears a letter on his sweater, which means the team is supposed to follow his example. I know Buff is really good when he's on his game, but I don't want the team to follow his example of playing 10-20 lbs overweight or putting in lackadaisical effort in the weight room and in the defensive zone. Lawless is saying, if Buff won't put up, he has to be shut up. Totally fair, and I agree.

The Noel article probably doesn't get written if Chevy doesn't answer awkwardly about Noel's future at his season ending presser. I don't blame Gary for thinking that Noel's footing with the team may not be concrete at this point, basing it entirely on Chevy's words.

And with that in mind, having a recent Jack Adams winner who has a history with TNSE and Winnipeg available, well, it makes sense that the Jets would be interested. He's not saying 'fire Noel and go after Vigneault' just because AV is available. He bases this on Chevy maybe not being sold on Noel as our head coach. If you read the article, the meat and potatoes of it are about Noel and the job he's done thus far.

Both articles make sense. Lawless IS basically an idiot, as evidenced by listening to H&L most days, but he's not Cox. At least not yet. These two articles are good conversations to have. You gotta read the article, not just the headline.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
And with that in mind, having a recent Jack Adams winner who has a history with TNSE and Winnipeg available, well, it makes sense that the Jets would be interested. He's not saying 'fire Noel and go after Vigneault' just because AV is available. He bases this on Chevy maybe not being sold on Noel as our head coach. If you read the article, the meat and potatoes of it are about Noel and the job he's done thus far.

I disagree. The meat and potatoes of the article are about the possibility that Vigneault's firing may force Chevy's hand. He makes it pretty clear in the opening few paragraphs:

NO one but GM Kevin Cheveldayoff and members of his inner circle know how the Winnipeg Jets feel about their coach Claude Noel right now. But if Alain Vigneault finds himself on the street in the coming days, the mystery may end.

Cheveldayoff needs to determine whether Noel has overachieved with a subpar roster or held back his team with poor coaching. At this point, the answer is not clearly evident.

But if the Vancouver Canucks do what many think they will and fire Vigneault, keep an eye on Cheveldayoff to see if he makes a play.

Under normal circumstances, one would expect the Jets organization to exercise patience with Noel and let time reveal his exact worth. But if the Canucks — ousted from the Stanley Cup playoffs in the first round for the second straight season — get twitchy and fire this established and tremendously successful coach, Cheveldayoff will at the very least have to consider taking a run at Vigneault.

Lawless could've put together a well-written article about why Claude Noel might not have as much job security as some may think. Instead, he put together a sloppy article with a pretty absurd hook (more like a red herring, actually) about Vigneault potentially being available.

Whatever. Lawless is clearly trying to carve out a niche as Winnipeg's troll journalist, and hey, it's not like he's the first writer who tries to play heel.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
I disagree. The meat and potatoes of the article are about the possibility that Vigneault's firing may force Chevy's hand. He makes it pretty clear in the opening few paragraphs:

Lawless could've put together a well-written article about why Claude Noel might not have as much job security as some may think. Instead, he put together a sloppy article with a pretty absurd hook (more like a red herring, actually) about Vigneault potentially being available.

Whatever. Lawless is clearly trying to carve out a niche as Winnipeg's troll journalist, and hey, it's not like he's the first writer who tries to play heel.

And then the next 14 paragraphs don't mention Vigneault once, they talk about the job Noel has done to this point, and Chevy's views on him. Sure, the Vigneault bit is sensationalist on Gary's part, but it's completely valid to at least speculate that, if Noel is out, AV would be the main target to replace him.

I agree it could've been written better, but I bet it wouldn't have generated as much buzz that way. At the end of the day, it's an editorial. He can opine as much as he wishes about Noel's future, possible replacements, etc. It's not the way you or I would've written it, but I also don't see it as some assault on journalism.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
^Fair enough^

I think we're more or less on the same page with Lawless. He's hard to take at times, but I don't dislike his writing nearly as much as others here seem to. And yeah, he's not yet in the Damien Cox pile.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
And then the next 14 paragraphs don't mention Vigneault once, they talk about the job Noel has done to this point, and Chevy's views on him. Sure, the Vigneault bit is sensationalist on Gary's part, but it's completely valid to at least speculate that, if Noel is out, AV would be the main target to replace him.

I agree it could've been written better, but I bet it wouldn't have generated as much buzz that way. At the end of the day, it's an editorial. He can opine as much as he wishes about Noel's future, possible replacements, etc. It's not the way you or I would've written it, but I also don't see it as some assault on journalism.

Not once have I ever heard of a tema firing their coach just because someone ele became available on the market
I don't see that trend starting with this team

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
Not once have I ever heard of a tema firing their coach just because someone ele became available on the market

But like I said, that's not what he's basing this on. Chevy answered a question about Noel's future with the team extremely awkwardly, basically implying that while he's under contract, he'll be reviewed and MAYBE offered an extension.

It's fair for someone like Lawless to hear that quote and think, 'hey, maybe Noel is getting canned' and run with a column about it, and a possible replacement that would get the fanbase buzzing.

He's not saying 'Vigneault is available fire whoever you have to to get him!!'

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
In general Gary's written work bothers me less than his interviews. One thing he has going for him is he has no fear and doesn't mind asking the hard questions. However he is just terrible at asking a question then giving a long winded answer to the question himself and finishing off with "am I right"?

who else does that?

Without going into his looks when you are on the business end of a camera you open yourself up to being judged. I know a women in broadcasting who has (had) a weight gain restriction in her contract. That is society and that is part of the game Gary has signed up for. If he was print and radio only Then who cares.....get in front of the camera to talk then you better be ready for the comments.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The biggest fail in that article is that it's operating in some bizarre fantasy-land NHL that Gary Lawless apparently reports on.

Has an NHL team ever fired their coach because another one became available? The premise of his article is bunk.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this precisely how Bruce Boudreau got his job with Anaheim? Within 24 hours of Boudreau being fired from Washington, Anaheim released Carlyle then immediately signed Boudreau.

I don't see the True North organization working in such a fashion, mind you.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this precisely how Bruce Boudreau got his job with Anaheim? Within 24 hours of Boudreau being fired from Washington, Anaheim released Carlyle then immediately signed Boudreau.

I don't see the True North organization working in such a fashion, mind you.

Boudreau was fired nov 28
Carlyle dec 1

So pretty close. But the ducks were floundering. They had just finished losing 7 straight.
So the writing was really on the wall

Last edited:

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
In general Gary's written work bothers me less than his interviews. One thing he has going for him is he has no fear and doesn't mind asking the hard questions. However he is just terrible at asking a question then giving a long winded answer to the question himself and finishing off with "am I right"?

who else does that?

Without going into his looks when you are on the business end of a camera you open yourself up to being judged. I know a women in broadcasting who has (had) a weight gain restriction in her contract. That is society and that is part of the game Gary has signed up for. If he was print and radio only Then who cares.....get in front of the camera to talk then you better be ready for the comments.

I see it as laziness on his part, I read it as he has a column half written and is looking for confirmation of his opinion to complete his writing. He's not looking for a deeper truth cuz that might mean revisions, all he wants is to put a column to bed.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Criticism is something Lawless needs to accept as part of the job; mean spirited bullying is different. And the difference between the two is as clear as day, if you are paying attention.
Lawless is overweight and --mmmm--not at all photogenic. In addition, as I listen closely, I'm pretty sure he had a speech impediment--a stammer--which he has largely overcome. Maybe that's part of the reason he is so long-winded. In any case, to have defied all those inherited barriers to public success is pretty amazing IMO, and deserving of more credit than he gets here. Studies have shown that the pretty boys and babes get the good jobs (not only in broadcasting) and Lawless is flouting the stereotype. Good for him.

This is the definitive Cox piece:

At what point does someone lose all credibility?

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/03/07/at-what-point-does-someone-lose-all-credibility/
Below is Cox's job description...sounds like he is pretty good at the 'stirring up trouble' and being hated part:laugh:. I know virtually nothing about Cox other than he is clearly very successful.
Looking at Lawless through the prism of Cox's job description, he doesn't look so bad to me at all.

Damien Cox, the Star's hockey columnist and associate sports editor, takes turns stirring up trouble and chuckling at the foibles of the sporting world. He'll start with hockey, Canada's ongoing passion play, and stick his nose into a few other games and places where athletes reside. You'll love some of his thoughts, hate others and get a chance to give your two cents on all of them.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
(...) Studies have shown that the pretty boys and babes get the good jobs (not only in broadcasting) (...)

That's why everyone wants to hire me
sunglasses2.gif

/endthreadsteal

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But like I said, that's not what he's basing this on. Chevy answered a question about Noel's future with the team extremely awkwardly, basically implying that while he's under contract, he'll be reviewed and MAYBE offered an extension.

It's fair for someone like Lawless to hear that quote and think, 'hey, maybe Noel is getting canned' and run with a column about it, and a possible replacement that would get the fanbase buzzing.

He's not saying 'Vigneault is available fire whoever you have to to get him!!'

So you (and Lawless) think that Chevy should have answered a question about the future contract status of his coach frankly, in front of the media? :shakehead That's not his style (thank goodness).

It was a dumb question. What exactly would you expect Chevy to say? "We plan to offer Noel an extension, and now will start negotiations with him".

I think it's fine to review Noel's performance, but doing so in the context of suggesting that the reason for doing so is because another head coach might be fired soon is stupid and provocative. Also, Lawless' review of Noel's performance was incredibly superficial.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Studies have shown that the pretty boys and babes get the good jobs (not only in broadcasting) and Lawless is flouting the stereotype. Good for him.

Name me the last "pretty boy" that was a newspaper sports journalist (in Winnipeg, or anywhere). I think you are confusing a newspaper writer with TV journalist.

Newspaper columnists should be judged solely by the quality of their written work. I couldn't care less what Lawless looks like. I think his writing is weak, and his approach is unnecessarily provocative.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Name me the last "pretty boy" that was a newspaper sports journalist (in Winnipeg, or anywhere). I think you are confusing a newspaper writer with TV journalist.

Newspaper columnists should be judged solely by the quality of their written work. I couldn't care less what Lawless looks like. I think his writing is weak, and his approach is unnecessarily provocative.

You are perfectly within your rights to say the bolded and it's great that you don't care what he looks like. He is paid to be provocative.
Lawless is making his name in radio and (to a lesser extent) TV these days, in addition to sports journalism. Size, shape and sound matter in those media. The 'confusion' comes from people who intermingle their thoughts about his opinions with those about his appearance.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
So you (and Lawless) think that Chevy should have answered a question about the future contract status of his coach frankly, in front of the media? :shakehead That's not his style (thank goodness).

It was a dumb question. What exactly would you expect Chevy to say? "We plan to offer Noel an extension, and now will start negotiations with him".

I think it's fine to review Noel's performance, but doing so in the context of suggesting that the reason for doing so is because another head coach might be fired soon is stupid and provocative. Also, Lawless' review of Noel's performance was incredibly superficial.

Good lord man, READ THE ARTICLE. Lawless never says 'Chevy is going to review Noel's performance because Vigneault is available.' He's simply making a connection between 'Noel's job might not be as secure as we thought' and 'Alain Vigneault will probably be available.'

And what I want Chevy to say is 'Everyone gets reviewed, but I'd be surprised if Claude isn't back. I think he's done a hell of a job to this point.' Lie if you have to, but I think Chevy's got a real good idea as to whether he's keeping Noel around or not.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good lord man, READ THE ARTICLE. Lawless never says 'Chevy is going to review Noel's performance because Vigneault is available.' He's simply making a connection between 'Noel's job might not be as secure as we thought' and 'Alain Vigneault will probably be available.'

And what I want Chevy to say is 'Everyone gets reviewed, but I'd be surprised if Claude isn't back. I think he's done a hell of a job to this point.' Lie if you have to, but I think Chevy's got a real good idea as to whether he's keeping Noel around or not.

I read the article and wouldn't have commented on it if I hadn't, with all due respect.

If you don't think that Lawless implied that there was a direct linkage between Vigneault's potential availability and Chevy's review of Noel's performance, then I'm not sure we read the same article. Here is a quote from the very beginning of the article. I'll let other readers assess whether Lawless was explicitly (though awkwardly) linking the two.

No one but GM Kevin Cheveldayoff and members of his inner circle know how the Winnipeg Jets feel about their coach Claude Noel right now. But if Alain Vigneault finds himself on the street in the coming days, the mystery may end.

Of course Chevy has some idea about the future of Noel. But he would be an idiot to tell the assembled media what he's thinking. That's why it was a dumb question, and why the answer was deliberately vague. If he wants to keep Noel he still needs to negotiate a contract extension. If not, he still has him under contract for next year, and would need to consider a replacement.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You are perfectly within your rights to say the bolded and it's great that you don't care what he looks like. He is paid to be provocative.
Lawless is making his name in radio and (to a lesser extent) TV these days, in addition to sports journalism. Size, shape and sound matter in those media. The 'confusion' comes from people who intermingle their thoughts about his opinions with those about his appearance.

What I think about his looks is irrelevant, but my point is that I don't think that those that employed him at the WFP cared that much either. I was refuting the implication that Lawless must be given credit for making it as a newspaper writer despite not being a "pretty boy". I thought that was a bit over the top as a defense of the guy's journalistic skills and approach.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

who else does that?

I agree with you 100%, this guy does not ask questions as a professional media member should. His questions are comical! When I watch Jets post game shows, I wonder how Noel doesn't punch that guy in the teeth. TNSE must tell Noel, "okay, I know he can't ask questions, but he's our go to guy cause he funds our restaurant downstairs so you have to put up with him"

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet

In regards to the Buff article, the headline (which he doesn't write) makes it seem like he's all out advocating for Chevy to trade the guy. But if you read the article, he's calling out Buff for his lack of conditioning, focus, effort, whatever.

These are fair criticisms of Buff. He wears a letter on his sweater, which means the team is supposed to follow his example. I know Buff is really good when he's on his game, but I don't want the team to follow his example of playing 10-20 lbs overweight or putting in lackadaisical effort in the weight room and in the defensive zone. Lawless is saying, if Buff won't put up, he has to be shut up. Totally fair, and I agree.

Points (bolded):

1) Buff isn't an assistant captain? He wore the A for a couple of games when Stuart was out injured.

2) LOL What?! "if Buff won't put up, he has to be shut up. what the hell does that mean? Buff doesn't go around saying he is the best of the best, the guy is modest and quiet behind the scenes. He is a beast on the ice and has been getting way more ice time than he should be.

Gary simply doesn't like him because Buff shuns the media and makes the interviews quick and short with little response.

Further, Gary drives me absolutely bonkers with his long winded stupid questions finishing with a "do you agree?" is this what we pay journalists now-a-days for? What happened to the point questions giving the person who is being interviewed a chance to provide actual input? instead of a yes/no comment.

It's no wonder Noel gets pissed at these fools during post game interviews.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
Points (bolded):

1) Buff isn't an assistant captain? He wore the A for a couple of games when Stuart was out injured.

2) LOL What?! "if Buff won't put up, he has to be shut up. what the hell does that mean? Buff doesn't go around saying he is the best of the best, the guy is modest and quiet behind the scenes. He is a beast on the ice and has been getting way more ice time than he should be.

Gary simply doesn't like him because Buff shuns the media and makes the interviews quick and short with little response.

Further, Gary drives me absolutely bonkers with his long winded stupid questions finishing with a "do you agree?" is this what we pay journalists now-a-days for? What happened to the point questions giving the person who is being interviewed a chance to provide actual input? instead of a yes/no comment.

It's no wonder Noel gets pissed at these fools during post game interviews.

1. He wore an A last season, guess I didn't pay much attention to it this year.

2. Whether he wears a letter or not, he's a leader in the room. Guys look up to him, that's been established. Lawless' point is that it's bad for a team to have one of their leaders have questionable work ethic. So either he's gotta start giving a decent effort every night (and in the offseason), or he should be moved. And Buff is a beast on the ice...sometimes. He's basically Dion Phaneuf. Can be dynamic some nights, but will actually lose games by himself by being THAT terrible on others.

And I agree with the criticism of his questions. BUT, on H&L, at least he sounds the tiniest bit professional, unlike that incoherent boob Paterson. I have no idea why 1290 thinks so highly of him. He's awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad