News Article: Gary Lawless is at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lawless is at it again this morning with another column about a made up story. Basically, if Alain Vigneault is fired by the Canucks, Chevy may or may not look to replace Noel with him.

It's another "stir the pot" article. Even the headline writers had a tough time, having to awkwardly explain their headline.
Chevy's Choice: Stick with Noel as Jets head coach or pursue Vigneault if he's axed by Canucks.

There is no factual basis for the story, just a pile of steaming conjecture. He doesn't even really offer his "opinion" as to what the Jets should do, other than saying that Noel "deserves more time". If Lawless really believes that, why did he write this provocative article now? I'm sure that Noel will be sending him a thank-you note for his "support". Oh, well. Maybe Lawless' approach mirrors two of the hackneyed cliches he includes in the article:

"Kill or be killed is the law of the jungle". :help:

"But deserve and fair aren't in the pro sports dictionary". :shakehead

Apparently "untalented hack journalist" is also in the "pro sports dictionary", with Lawless' picture beside it as exhibit A.

Really? The WFP can't do better than this?

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I was actually excited when I read the title. Then I saw it was a Lawless article.

You figure between his Free Press articles and radio show (commercials too) he probably pulls down close to 6 figures. That's a lot of money for someone who does no research.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I was actually excited when I read the title. Then I saw it was a Lawless article.

You figure between his Free Press articles and radio show (commercials too) he probably pulls down close to 6 figures. That's a lot of money for someone who does no research.

Not to once again defend Lawless but he is entitled to an opinion, once again he mirrors the sentiments of SOME Jets fans who would like a coaching change (probably the same people who want a coaching change even if the Jets had made the playoffs and advanced).

To suggest Vigneault as Jets coach is both a bit premature and unwarranted. He would be the last guy I would want coaching the Jets. The Canucks organization lacks respect throughout the NHL because of their antics and I'm sure most of that is on the coach.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Not to once again defend Lawless but he is entitled to an opinion, once again he mirrors the sentiments of SOME Jets fans who would like a coaching change (probably the same people who want a coaching change even if the Jets had made the playoffs and advanced).

To suggest Vigneault as Jets coach is both a bit premature and unwarranted. He would be the last guy I would want coaching the Jets. The Canucks organization lacks respect throughout the NHL because of their antics and I'm sure most of that is on the coach.
I agree with the bolded Sip. AV is not a good bench boss, at least he wouldn't be a good fit for the Jets. If there is even the SLIGHTEST truth to Chevy looking at others I would hope he pursue Dave Tippet, would like to see what he can do with our young core.

Though, realistically, same typical "stir the pot" garbage from Lawless. Wonder when Rick Ralph will show up to defend Lawless' position again....

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I agree with the bolded Sip. AV is not a good bench boss, at least he wouldn't be a good fit for the Jets. If there is even the SLIGHTEST truth to Chevy looking at others I would hope he pursue Dave Tippet, would like to see what he can do with our young core.

Though, realistically, same typical "stir the pot" garbage from Lawless. Wonder when Rick Ralph will show up to defend Lawless' position again....

As I have previously mentioned, Tippet would be about the only guy I would want coaching the Jets aside from Noel. Don't think the Jets will get in a bidding war for Tippet's services which is what it's going to be to get him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Not trying single you out ajmidd12, but I just wanted to comment on the bolded.

In the Noel thread, and a little on this one, I've seen that one of the criticisms of Noel is how he handled Scheifele. I would say rookies, but besides Scheifele, who else fit's that description? He certainty played Postma and Redmond enough.

Anyway, Some of the people who criticize Noel for this, have thrown out Tippet and Blysma as possible replacements.

If someone went to the Penguins board and read about Blysma, they would see that a large portion of their fanbase want him gone. One of their major beefs is how he has mishandled their young players.

And Tippet. Holy heck, that guy is a poster child for not playing rookies.

Not saying Noel is the best there is and should be here forever, but sometimes it looks like we can have a "grass is greener" mentality going on here when that is not always the case.

My .02.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

But he isn't even offering an much of a consistent "opinion", other than some lame comment late in the article saying he thinks that Noel deserves more time.

So his "opinion" appears to be that Noel deserves more time, but he decided to write a baseless article speculating on the Jets firing Noel and hiring a guy that is still employed by another NHL team.

The only purpose of this article is to stir the pot and put Noel on the hot seat by encouraging his detractors. That sort of stuff might be okay as a post on an internet discussion board by someone who doesn't like Noel, but it isn't what I would consider to be worthy of being called professional journalism. :shakehead

lallyvee

Sep 6, 2011
Buff was 6'3" when he first came up with the Hawks. He was listed at 6'4" his last year in Chicago and gained an inch when he went to Atlanta. I think he's 6'3".

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Not trying single you out ajmidd12, but I just wanted to comment on the bolded.

In the Noel thread, and a little on this one, I've seen that one of the criticisms of Noel is how he handled Scheifele. I would say rookies, but besides Scheifele, who else fit's that description? He certainty played Postma and Redmond enough.

Anyway, Some of the people who criticize Noel for this, have thrown out Tippet and Blysma as possible replacements.

If someone went to the Penguins board and read about Blysma, they would see that a large portion of their fanbase want him gone. One of their major beefs is how he has mishandled their young players.

And Tippet. Holy heck, that guy is a poster child for not playing rookies.

Not saying Noel is the best there is and should be here forever, but sometimes it looks like we can have a "grass is greener" mentality going on here when that is not always the case.

My .02.

Great post Huff. It has somehow become a meme here that Noel can't handle young players, yet as an AHL coach his specialty was in fact developing young players, and in Columbus he was also credited for his work with their rookies.

I too find it ironic that some here are calling for Tippett as a potential replacement; Tippett is indeed the poster boy for reliance upon veteran players at the expense of younger players. He isn't exactly known for developing young talent but rather conversely earned his bones by continually riding veteran-laden teams.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
But he isn't even offering an much of a consistent "opinion", other than some lame comment late in the article saying he thinks that Noel deserves more time.

So his "opinion" appears to be that Noel deserves more time, but he decided to write a baseless article speculating on the Jets firing Noel and hiring a guy that is still employed by another NHL team.

The only purpose of this article is to stir the pot and put Noel on the hot seat by encouraging his detractors. That sort of stuff might be okay as a post on an internet discussion board by someone who doesn't like Noel, but it isn't what I would consider to be worthy of being called professional journalism. :shakehead

A man's gotta eat.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

What's this? Has hell frozen over? Uncle "we need to blow things up" Sip isn't jumping all over a coaching change? Did you type this whole thing from a grindphone?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As I have previously mentioned, Tippet would be about the only guy I would want coaching the Jets aside from Noel. Don't think the Jets will get in a bidding war for Tippet's services which is what it's going to be to get him.

Considering that Tippet just built a home in Phoenix and has never coached a NHL team north of Dallas TX, although he is from Moosomin SK, something tells me he will take a coaching job a little closer to home and a warmer climate than Winnipeg.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Considering that Tippet just built a home in Phoenix and has never coached a NHL team north of Dallas TX, although he is from Moosomin SK, something tells me he will take a coaching job a little closer to home and a warmer climate than Winnipeg.

Well Tippet will coaching in a snowy, mile high city next season, he seems to be working his way slowly north again.:sarcasm:

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Great post Huff. It has somehow become a meme here that Noel can't handle young players, yet as an AHL coach his specialty was in fact developing young players, and in Columbus he was also credited for his work with their rookies.

I too find it ironic that some here are calling for Tippett as a potential replacement; Tippett is indeed the poster boy for reliance upon veteran players at the expense of younger players. He isn't exactly known for developing young talent but rather conversely earned his bones by continually riding veteran-laden teams.

Yes. His reputation with young players seems to start and end with Sheifele.

Has anyone taken a step back and wondered if Noel actually handled the situation correctly, critism be damned?
He is currently getting a pile of ice time, has benefited from playing in a long playoff run, and due to his age has probably learned a lot of leadership type skills.
At the start of the season I don't think anyone would have said that he deserved the #2 center spot over Jokinen. So he would have either centered the fourth line (Slater was needed on third line for FOs) or he would have to change positions.
Does anyone see him as a fourth line center? Is he not better off taking time to develop his skill as a center in Junior then having to learn a new role in the NHL?
He was a very developer so has had very little experience playing center even at the highest level of junior.

People were also on his case a bit last year about his treatment on Kane but I don't think anyone can disagree that Kane has grown up under Noel and is a better hockey player and he has managed to improve his image as well.

AV's greatest coaching skill seems to be the ability to train his goalies to take all the heat for every loss so that no one looks too closely at how his team can't score any goals to win the games.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Well Tippet will coaching in a snowy, mile high city next season, he seems to be working his way slowly north again.:sarcasm:

Has Tippet actually said that he is willing to coach in Colorado?
He could afford to wait and be offered a job to a good hockey team.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff was 6'3" when he first came up with the Hawks. He was listed at 6'4" his last year in Chicago and gained an inch when he went to Atlanta. I think he's 6'3".

If they can list Enstrom at 5.10" they can list Buff at 6.5". It's not like the NFL combine where every player gets measured to the 1/4 inch. But even then I can almost guarantee you after they get drafted in their team's media guide somehow all those 21 & 22 year olds will have grown an inch or two over the summer.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
I don't think even Lawless can believe these sensationalist columns are published by the Freep, but obviously this is want they want from him.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to start reading him clamouring for the need for new ownership of the Jets. Probably next week's "column".

He's become a joke imo.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't think even Lawless can believe these sensationalist columns are published by the Freep, but obviously this is want they want from him.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to start reading him clamouring for the need for new ownership of the Jets. Probably next week's "column".

He's become a joke imo.

It amuses me how much Lawless has been talking up super hack Damien Cox lately.

He has cited Cox's blatant misinformation on the Kadri / Lu thing multiple times too. Says "Cox knows his stuff." The reality is Cox knows he is full of crap and misleading / trolling on purpose.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It amuses me how much Lawless has been talking up super hack Damien Cox lately.

He has cited Cox's blatant misinformation on the Kadri / Lu thing multiple times too. Says "Cox knows his stuff." The reality is Cox knows he is full of crap and misleading / trolling on purpose.

Kadri / Lu thing? wassat?

Lawless is a total hack. If he at least wrote well, he could call himself and entertainer. I have no idea why the FP would have hired him in the first place.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

I like this post...I think that it is more than reasonable to speculate if Claude Noel is the right guy, deserves more time, should be released - whatever.

But, when you start to speculate about another coach that is still employed - I don't think that is cool at all - and is far beyond what I would consider journalistic integrity.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
The biggest fail in that article is that it's operating in some bizarre fantasy-land NHL that Gary Lawless apparently reports on.

Has an NHL team ever fired their coach because another one became available? The premise of his article is bunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad