News Article: Gary Lawless is at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
I read the article and wouldn't have commented on it if I hadn't, with all due respect.

If you don't think that Lawless implied that there was a direct linkage between Vigneault's potential availability and Chevy's review of Noel's performance, then I'm not sure we read the same article. Here is a quote from the very beginning of the article. I'll let other readers assess whether Lawless was explicitly (though awkwardly) linking the two.

Of course Chevy has some idea about the future of Noel. But he would be an idiot to tell the assembled media what he's thinking. That's why it was a dumb question, and why the answer was deliberately vague. If he wants to keep Noel he still needs to negotiate a contract extension. If not, he still has him under contract for next year, and would need to consider a replacement.

I see now how you took it the way you did, and you're right, it's completely clunky and awkward, and I will never defend the quality of his writing/broadcasting. But I will not assess his article based on one sentence, when the rest of it separates Noel's performance and Vigneault's availability.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
And I agree with the criticism of his questions. BUT, on H&L, at least he sounds the tiniest bit professional, unlike that incoherent boob Paterson. I have no idea why 1290 thinks so highly of him. He's awful.

and I think he's a top-notch interviewer (especially when Lawless isn't around)

in fact his interview of James Hahn was one of the best I've heard all year

I guess it comes down to personal preference :dunno:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No complaints about Gary's article concerning fighting today? Good.

Once again pretty poor research on his part. I get that he wants fighting out as do I but to place the blame squarely at the feet of Bettmen and the league isn't fair. Did he forget that there is a group that represents the players called the PA that has a large say in the rules as part of the competition committee. If memory serves me didn't the league try to eliminate it a couple of years ago only to be blocked by the PA. I mean look at how hard the league had to work just to get the PA to look at grandfathering in visors. The only way fighting goes away is through continued elimination at the grass roots level such as the CHL has undertaken.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
You make good points. I think the essence of Gary's column was that regardless of all those other factors, the reality of pending/threatened litigation will accomplish what everyone is reluctant to do voluntarily.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I find it hilarious that this thread is still going strong. I'm pretty much ambivalent regarding Lawless, but to critique the guy in this forum for any supposed factual inaccuracies you may believe you see in his writing seems misguided at best. He is employed by the Winnipeg Free Press, not HF. He maintains his employment by researching his work; if he was regularly spewing factual inaccuracies then his employers would likely eventually terminate his employment. Complaining about him in this space - simply for the sake of complaining... seems a waste of time. If you spot factual inaccuracies in his reporting, there is a box at the bottom of each and every WFP article that allows you to report factual inaccuracies to the editor.

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.

Perhaps reporting your concerns to his employer would be a more prudent course of action versus continually whining about him on an unrelated message-board? Just a thought.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I find it hilarious that this thread is still going strong. I'm pretty much ambivalent regarding Lawless, but to critique the guy in this forum for any supposed factual inaccuracies you may believe you see in his writing seems misguided at best. He is employed by the Winnipeg Free Press, not HF. He maintains his employment by researching his work; if he was regularly spewing factual inaccuracies then his employers would likely eventually terminate his employment. Complaining about him in this space - simply for the sake of complaining... seems a waste of time. If you spot factual inaccuracies in his reporting, there is a box at the bottom of each and every WFP article that allows you to report factual inaccuracies to the editor.

Perhaps reporting your concerns to his employer would be a more prudent course of action versus continually whining about him on an unrelated message-board? Just a thought.
Really? Lawless doesn't research, he googles... there is a difference. If THAT is the fruit of research then anyone with half a brain can be a newspaper columnist.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You make good points. I think the essence of Gary's column was that regardless of all those other factors, the reality of pending/threatened litigation will accomplish what everyone is reluctant to do voluntarily.

Gary might not be wrong on this one.....the gathering storm in the NFL could change the landscape of sports.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

Is this a discussion forum? I don't get it. Leaving out facts is also not getting the facts right. Why do you care if people don't like him?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Is this a discussion forum? I don't get it. Leaving out facts is also not getting the facts right. Why do you care if people don't like him?

I don't care if you don't like him; in fact, I encouraged any of you with concerns to report any factual complaints you may have about his reporting to his employer so they may be addressed in the proper manner. Hope that helps.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I don't care if you don't like him; in fact, I encouraged any of you with concerns to report any factual complaints you may have about his reporting to his employer so they may be addressed in the proper manner. Hope that helps.

Sounds a lot like defending him to me. The title of the thread gives a pretty good clue to it's contents.

Should we email Chevy or Chipman instead of talking about the team here?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Sounds a lot like defending him to me. The title of the thread gives a pretty good clue to it's contents.

Should we email Chevy or Chipman instead of talking about the team here?

I wasn't aware that Lawless was on the team; thanks for the update.

Lawless is just a sportswriter expressing his own opinion. It just seems to me that most rational adults are comfortable enough with their own viewpoints that they wouldn't let the expression of differing opinions by others bother them so much. I also find it amusing that he is apparently able to push the buttons of some so easily.

Carry on with the complaining!

:laugh:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I wasn't aware that Lawless was on the team; thanks for the update.

Lawless is just a sportswriter expressing his own opinion. It just seems to me that most rational adults are comfortable enough with their own viewpoints that they wouldn't let the expression of differing opinions by others bother them so much. I also find it amusing that he is apparently able to push the buttons of some so easily.

Carry on with the complaining!

:laugh:

Keep on complaining about the complaining I guess. Push buttons? He's a horrible writer for the city's biggest paper. People like to talk about things you don't.

What's with the bully nonsense?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Keep on complaining about the complaining I guess. Push buttons? He's a horrible writer for the city's biggest paper. People like to talk about things you don't.

What's with the bully nonsense?

Cool. I truly don't care if you continue to complain about him here or not. Carry on if you wish, just as I suggested in my previous post. Bully nonsense? I'm not the one whining about a sportswriter in an unrelated forum and using pejorative terms to describe him BTW; that... would be bullying nonsense.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
This place is freakin' strange. Discussing a writer for a large newspaper, who writes poorly in an intentionally controversial and provocative way, about the very team we are here discussing is a problem? It's worth taking time to ridicule and post emoticons?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
In the future, I think a catch-all media thread probably makes the most sense. In the meantime, if Lawless writes an article you don't like...start a new thread I guess?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad