Gary Bettman: 25 years and counting

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
^^^^ All this discussion comes from what I pointed out above when I challenged the notion of taking a two dimensional statistic on its surface as gospel when it’s pretty common knowledge now that delivery methods have changed drastically just in the last half decade and doesn’t look to be slowing down any time soon.

:dunno:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
For people that tried to bring the MLS contract talk in......does MLS even make money from the TSN contract?

Good point but that leads to another situation for MLS that has haunted NHL, lockouts. MLS owners are sticking it to the Players union. They went up to the ledge of a lockout last CBA as owners don't release hardly any revenue figures and the players don't get to see all of them like most leagues Unions do. For instance the owners waited for the last CBA deal to be made then signed like 6-8 international deals excluding the Canadian Deals with TSN& TVA. This was obviously done on purpose. The only revenue numbers for the league that are released are by sources close to the deal coming from the partner company they deal with. For instance it's the only reason we know MLS makes at least $850 mil per year in revenue because Wikipedia has sourced a 2016 report from teams combined with numbers leaked from an Adidas source about the leagues Adidas Sponsorship deal.
List of professional sports leagues by revenue - Wikipedia

Pretty sure MLS is over a billion easily in revenue now. The 2016 team revenue reported doesn't include expansion teams from Atlanta and Los Angeles. They hide their revenue "the hockey guy" just did a video on this mentions MLS at the end.

I don't get how they get away with being so secretive. At least we get info from NHL on overall revenues and outlooks . I'm guessing the centralized private structure of MLS allows for it. However I'm fairly certain there will be a strike or lockout for MLS next CBA.

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
compared to the other leagues its nothing. and the mls got a 4 billion offer a while back, just fyi. still gate driven, not good enough.

Yeah some people say it doesn't count because it was a contrived offer made with a certain stipulation to the offer but we'd love for someone to offer NHL a $9 billion dollar deal for 10 yrs which was the equivalent of the offer 4 billion dollar 10 yr deal made to MLS would've been an increase of 4.5 times their current deal. The offer was made by legitimate sports Marketing firm MP & Silva. If nothing else it drives up the renegotiating price. MLS has history with MP & Silva as they held the leagues global broadcast rights up until the league sold them to IMG in 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melrose Munch
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Anyone but bettman and daly. And it doesn't change what I said.

Lmao, this is a classic response from people who just think Bettman hates the game, and Canada in general. Who else is there to 'rival' Bettman as the commissioner of the league? Give your head a shake. He's done such a great job with the league, and has stifled any clear political/social controversy

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Lmao, this is a classic response from people who just think Bettman hates the game, and Canada in general. Who else is there to 'rival' Bettman as the commissioner of the league? Give your head a shake. He's done such a great job with the league, and has stifled any clear political/social controversy
I'm not one of those peoople.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
Bettman has positioned the NHL into a very great spot. For the most part the NHL is a gate driven league, drawing roughly 17,500 fans per game and over 94% capacity. Why this is important?..... eventually the TV contract bubble will burst, and the other big 3 leagues are way too dependent on TV revenues, heck the NFL teams don't have to sell one single ticket and they would make money lol. Not saying that the NHL is going to overtake the other 3, but they are positioned well when the bubble breaks. It is one of the best sports to watch live, so attendance will continue to be great.

But the media bubble will not break, it is only to get larger and larger. Amazon, YouTube, Facebook, etc. are all sitting on the sidelines just getting ready to enter the game and the war chest of money they are bringing dwarfs what they networks have. There is going to be so much money flooding into sports from tech companies it is going to blow your mind.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
But the media bubble will not break, it is only to get larger and larger. Amazon, YouTube, Facebook, etc. are all sitting on the sidelines just getting ready to enter the game and the war chest of money they are bringing dwarfs what they networks have. There is going to be so much money flooding into sports from tech companies it is going to blow your mind.
You could be right, but it's a known fact that ESPN overpaid for NBA, and are paying the piper now

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Players like PK subban should be plastered all over the play except they do next to nothing to market him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad