OT: Garth Snow on SiriusXM NHL Network Radio 7/7

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
The same people who are to cautious to go with Greiss as the main starter after only ONE YEAR... Are the same ones judging Strome off of ONE down year.

Ryan has plenty of potential and is best suited at his natural position. Strome is a playmaker, he was one of the best in his draft class with his on ice vision and ability to elevate the players around him.

I think Strome could easily return to 50 points playing back at pivot.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We are still a one line team. Unless something changes, we arent making the playoffs.

That's a bit much. Same could have been said July 7, 2015. The Isles *should* be in the top third of the league again. But with the parity today, the margins for error are thin. A rash of injuries and too many down years from certain players and yes, the Isles could be on the outside looking in. On the flip side, a nice playoff run is a very real possibility as well.

Hoping for some more additions before the start of the season and/or during the season to bolster the lineup.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
That's a bit much. Same could have been said July 7, 2015. The Isles *should* be in the top third of the league again. But with the parity today, the margins for error are thin. A rash of injuries and too many down years from certain players and yes, the Isles could be on the outside looking in. On the flip side, a nice playoff run is a very real possibility as well.

Hoping for some more additions before the start of the season and/or during the season to bolster the lineup.

Getting ahead of ourselves but in the EC (in no order):

TB
FL
BOS

WAS
PIT
NYI

WC: MON/NYR/NJ

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Nielsen played 10 more games and only had 1 more 5 on 5 point than Strome. Most of Nielsen's points were the man advantage or on an open net. While Strome likely won't replace his PP production, I think it's reasonable to predict Pulock, who most likely will be playing the left point that Nielsen was on, will be able to take care of that.

Well he only has two seasons to judge by?

Hence me not using the following player's "down" years to evaluate them:

Tavares, Anders Lee, Hamonic (offensively-not a "down" year defensively at all), Boychuk, CDH, Halak (due to injury).

However Strome didn't just have a "poor year"-he had a disastrous year:

-9th in scoring (8th among forwards)
-12th (tied) in goals

Is that really worthy of replacing:

-3rd in scoring
-4th in goals
-Being MUCH better defensively

I say no it's not.

PS: For the record I actually like Strome, and it's nothing personal, he just hasn't earned that spot yet imo. If anybody is realistically expecting him to replace Nielsen-you're out to lunch.

This is why IMO it is tough to compare Strome to Nielsen after last season. Not only did he have a down year, but Nielsen got more PP and PK time than he did. Strome was awesome his first FULL season in the NHL. One could argue he will be better than Nielsen this year as well SS.

Before you shoot me let me explain my reasoning though. That 2014-2015 season where he played amazing for his first real season he played the majority of the time with Lee and Nelson. This year Lee was hurt and then Strome had been moved to wing after having low confidence on the year already. There is also no debating that Strome was in the doghouse this year for Cappy.

Strome is not bad defensively when I watch him play center. I am not sure if the stats back me up but I do not mind him at center. Is he better than Nielsen defensively as of now? No, but he is also 22 years old. I would not be surprised if he has more points than Nielsen this year 5 on 5 though.

Strome is such a skilled player, but last year he was thrown all around the lineup because we treated him like a veteran who can play anywhere and put up 50-60 points. That is just not the case yet. However, I would not be surprised if Strome surprises some people with a nice bounce back season next year.

I do have a soft spot for Strome though. He has been one of my favorite picks and prospects to follow. Keep that in mind:laugh:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The good thing is we get to see Nelson and Strome at center where they belong with no road blocks after bad sophomore years. There is reason to be hopeful because of the whole sophomore slump thing.

The bad thing is that we lost a competent defensive Center who also played well on JT'S wing when he was not at center. If one or both Nelson and Strome **** the bed this year we are royally screwed with the only backup plan AHL kiddos.

Garf is really letting it ride on black. I hope it works.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
The good thing is we get to see Nelson and Strome at center where they belong with no road blocks after bad sophomore years. There is reason to be hopeful because of the whole sophomore slump thing.

The bad thing is that we lost a competent defensive Center who also played well on JT'S wing when he was not at center. If one or both Nelson and Strome **** the bed this year we are royally screwed with the only backup plan AHL kiddos.

Garf is really letting it ride on black. I hope it works.

I disagree on the depth issue. If we assume grabo is toast, even then we have 13 capable forwards excluding barzal and plenty of guys capable of playing center. Quine is a kid but he showed he is capable should strome or Nelson go down. Also, just because Barzal is a kid, doesn't mean he won't perform. Pulock and Pelech were kids also. So we're a bunch of our guys the year before. I still expect another move though after a halak salary dump.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Tavares
Strome/Grabo
Nelson/Strome/Grabo
Cizikas

I'd imagine we look somthing like this down the middle.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I disagree on the depth issue. If we assume grabo is toast, even then we have 13 capable forwards excluding barzal and plenty of guys capable of playing center. Quine is a kid but he showed he is capable should strome or Nelson go down. Also, just because Barzal is a kid, doesn't mean he won't perform. Pulock and Pelech were kids also. So we're a bunch of our guys the year before. I still expect another move though after a halak salary dump.

The only one who could step in is Quine. I disagree on Grabo, imo, he is done like burnt toast.

We will see. Could be both Nelson and Strome come back strong after the common sophomore slump thing. I warned people not to hate on them due to that this year.

We will see. If both fail tjough... Oh boy we have a problem.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
The only one who could step in is Quine. I disagree on Grabo, imo, he is done like burnt toast.

We will see. Could be both Nelson and Strome come back strong after the common sophomore slump thing. I warned people not to hate on them due to that this year.

I said "if we assume grabo is toast", so we don't disagree there at all. I think I have a bit more faith in quine than you and I am also just not dismissing barzal as simply any old ahl guy with potential. Honestly, we can't have complete faith in Nelson or Strome either at this point so it isn't like we would necessarily be looking for a kid to step in to replace a proven commodity. The bigger concern is either Strome or Nelson stepping up to fill nielsen's skates.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I'm not wishing injury, but you have to hope if Grabovski can't play he either retires or gets LTIR. Him coming in and out of the lineup causes too much of a disruption and you never know what you're going to get based off of his concussions. This only applies to his concussion history though. If he breaks a thumb, whatever.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
very difficult to rely on a kid to come in play as a veteran would as an Islander fan ... why should strome just be given the spot ? hope he bounces back though

He shouldn't be given a spot on the team, automatically.

But, if he is to be on the team (he will be) then it should certainly be at center.

Tavares/Grabovski/Strome/Cizikas at center to start the year, with Nelson and Quine as injury insurance.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I honestly think Grabos playing days are hanging by a thread. Too many serious concussions, and too many in quick succession is no bueno. The killer is, if he were healthy I think he could really help this team.

One other thing that gets glossed over a bit, is last year there was really no one from down below pushing players on the roster to preform. Now we've got Prince, Quine, Ho-Sang and dal Colle. Strome is already going to be playing for a contract.... but all 3 young forwards could be playing for a job, especially with expansion coming up.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Cappy gonna use Nelson as the new Nielsen

Ladd-Tavares-Parenteau
Kulemin-Nelson-Bailey (gets tougher match-ups)
Lee-Strome-Barzal (sheltered scoring line)
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck (gets tougher match-ups)

I Think this is right on - you have Prince who keeps Bailey or Kulemin honest and he also covers Barzal.

You also have 84 - if he can show that he is healthy- he can be very helpful on a line with 29 or with 18.

I still think a move must be made to improve.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I Think this is right on - you have Prince who keeps Bailey or Kulemin honest and he also covers Barzal.

You also have 84 - if he can show that he is healthy- he can be very helpful on a line with 29 or with 18.

I still think a move must be made to improve.

Tbh I really think Prince needs to replace Kulemin asap. I would absolutely love to see it happen.

Knowing this coach though...he loves his useless warriors so you know it ain't happening. Hope prince doesn't mind watching games from the pressbox!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I hate the idea of banking on Grabo to injure out.

I hate that as much as being forced into the hole of having to hope the team sucks to improve coaching. Both are alien to me because I don't hate the players, and I just can't root against a club I am a fan of (I am obviously not a NY Jets fan as that would warrant exception.)

What a catch 22. Gotta wish harm on a guy for the team's benefit, and gotta hope the team loses so it can improve. I must be an Islander fan if this is my conundrum.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I hate the idea of banking on Grabo to injure out.

I hate that as much as being forced into the hole of having to hope the team sucks to improve coaching. Both are alien to me because I don't hate the players, and I just can't root against a club I am a fan of (I am obviously not a NY Jets fan as that would warrant exception.)

What a catch 22. Gotta wish harm on a guy for the team's benefit, and gotta hope the team loses so it can improve. I must be an Islander fan if this is my conundrum.

I'd prefer it if Grabovski could play and stay healthy. He just needs to be at one extreme or the other to help the team. I do hope he doesn't suffer any long-term illnesses or injuries because of his concussions. If I were him, I'd strongly consider retiring...but I know I wouldn't walk away either.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I'm not wishing injury, but you have to hope if Grabovski can't play he either retires or gets LTIR. Him coming in and out of the lineup causes too much of a disruption and you never know what you're going to get based off of his concussions. This only applies to his concussion history though. If he breaks a thumb, whatever.

LTIR just means Cap Ceiling +. So, there is no benefit to Isles under "LTIR" unless they are maxed out or over the Cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad