OT: Garth Snow on SiriusXM NHL Network Radio 7/7

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Well that's good to know at least.

So they're plugging in a guy who scored 28 points (Nielsen had more assists last year than Strome had points)...not to mention Strome isn't anywhere near as good defensively...and people here are still claiming we're still as good as we were before? smh.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ladd-Tavares-Parenteau
Lee-Strome-Nelson
Kulemin-Barzal-Bailey
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
So they're plugging in a guy who scored 28 points (Nielsen had more assists last year than Strome had points)...not to mention Strome isn't anywhere near as good defensively...and people here are still claiming we're still as good as we were before? smh.

A guy who had 50 points the year before.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Cappy gonna use Nelson as the new Nielsen

Ladd-Tavares-Parenteau
Kulemin-Nelson-Bailey (gets tougher match-ups)
Lee-Strome-Barzal (sheltered scoring line)
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck (gets tougher match-ups)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Can we stop using a poor year as the expected production rate for players? Thanks!

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Can we stop using a poor year as the expected production rate for players? Thanks!

Well he only has two seasons to judge by?

Hence me not using the following player's "down" years to evaluate them:

Tavares, Anders Lee, Hamonic (offensively-not a "down" year defensively at all), Boychuk, CDH, Halak (due to injury).

However Strome didn't just have a "poor year"-he had a disastrous year:

-9th in scoring (8th among forwards)
-12th (tied) in goals

Is that really worthy of replacing:

-3rd in scoring
-4th in goals
-Being MUCH better defensively

I say no it's not.

PS: For the record I actually like Strome, and it's nothing personal, he just hasn't earned that spot yet imo. If anybody is realistically expecting him to replace Nielsen-you're out to lunch.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Lee. JT. Pap
Ladd. Strome nelson
Prince cizikas Bailey
Kulemin chimera clutter
Barzal

Leddy hammer
JB. Cal
Pulock. Hickey
Mayfield

Halak
Greiss

Please welcome your 2016-2017 New York iiiiiiiiislanders.

Unless the big one is still yet to happen

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Nielsen played 10 more games and only had 1 more 5 on 5 point than Strome. Most of Nielsen's points were the man advantage or on an open net. While Strome likely won't replace his PP production, I think it's reasonable to predict Pulock, who most likely will be playing the left point that Nielsen was on, will be able to take care of that.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
If anybody is realistically expecting him to replace Nielsen-you're out to lunch.

FN is gone, let's move on. Strome is a RFA in a cap world. Did he earn that spot? No, but Isles don't have a lot of options AND need to put Strome in a spot where he succeed. After all, he probably takes the qualifier and his big money deal is 2017. It's a risk for the team and him, however, it could pay off in that his long term deal from NYI (if he earns it) will be cheaper than FN aging deal...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well he only has two seasons to judge by?

Hence me not using the following player's "down" years to evaluate them:

Tavares, Anders Lee, Hamonic (offensively-not a "down" year defensively at all), Boychuk, CDH, Halak (due to injury).

However Strome didn't just have a "poor year"-he had a disastrous year:

-9th in scoring (8th among forwards)
-12th (tied) in goals

Is that really worthy of replacing:

-3rd in scoring
-4th in goals
-Being MUCH better defensively

I say no it's not.

PS: For the record I actually like Strome, and it's nothing personal, he just hasn't earned that spot yet imo. If anybody is realistically expecting him to replace Nielsen-you're out to lunch.

If you expect him to have 28 points again, you're out to lunch.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
If you expect him to have 28 points again, you're out to lunch.

I never said I expect him to put up 28 points again. I do expect him to have a better year...however I don't expect him to put up 50 points AND be as good as Nielsen defensively-that's unrealistic.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I never said I expect him to put up 28 points again. I do expect him to have a better year...however I don't expect him to put up 50 points AND be as good as Nielsen defensively-that's unrealistic.

Then say that. Instead, you purposely use wording to make it sound worse than it is.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
We are still a one line team. Unless something changes, we arent making the playoffs.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Then say that. Instead, you purposely use wording to make it sound worse than it is.

You misread my post then. I stated the facts about last season pertaining to Strome-nothing more, nothing less. I have NOT been tough on a player like Lee this off-season because I was actually pretty pleased with him (even if he was slightly worse than he was the previous year). Even Nelson didn't have a down year-he was about the same. If you'd like to share why you think Strome (even Strome from two years ago), could replace Nielsen-I'm all ears, because I don't see it.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think anyone would expect Strome to replace Fran's game specifically. The hope is that Strome can help the team be successful in other ways while the rest of the lineup helps other aspects lost with Frans game.

Last edited:

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
You misread my post then. I stated the facts about last season pertaining to Strome-nothing more, nothing less. I have NOT been tough on a player like Lee this off-season because I was actually pretty pleased with him (even if he was slightly worse than he was the previous year). Even Nelson didn't have a down year-he was about the same. If you'd like to share why you think Strome (even Strome from two years ago), could replace Nielsen-I'm all ears, because I don't see it.

Why does he have to replace him? Yes, Nielsen was/is better. I don't think anyone will argue otherwise. But I like our D much better going into the season with Pulock and Pelech instead of Zidlicky and Strait. I like Chimera over Martin, and Ladd over Okposo. I think Strome and Lee will have better seasons. Tavares too. And it seems like Barzal is ready as well so if you want to harp on the one area we are worse then go for it, but don't be shocked if everyone else here is looking at all the other areas in which we improved or can improve.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

You implied that it'd be the same production. You're also suggesting that I believe Strome will replace Nielsen. I don't think he will all on his own, but the combination of new players could be do it. Replacements don't have to come in the form of just one player replacing another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad