OT: Garth Snow on SiriusXM NHL Network Radio 7/7

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nielsen only shot 4/10 last season, so for the people that are going to try and claim we will do worse because of losing him this year are wrong.

PAP has shot pretty well throughout his career. JT really needs to stop being put out for shootouts. :rant:

He's also one of the top 3 best shootout performers in NHL history, so I'm not judging him on one year.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
He's also one of the top 3 best shootout performers in NHL history, so I'm not judging him on one year.

Nielsen was awesome at shootouts. I am just saying for the "sky is falling" crowd they cannot use that as an excuse of why losing Nielsen will hurt that much.

Shootouts are very weird, I think we have a good group of potential shootout players here.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Nobody hires a player for shootouts. That's a small bonus at best during the regular season, and a big nothing in the playoffs.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Frans Nielsen was drafted by the Islanders with pick #87. Spent two seasons in Bridgeport with some NHL time, then made the team for good. By age 24, after 2 NHL seasons, was getting noticed as a plus defender (Selke votes) but also starting to show some offensive skill.

Casey Cizikas was drafted by the Islanders with pick #92. Spent two seasons in Bridgeport with some NHL time, then made the team for good. By age 24, after 2 NHL seasons, was getting noticed as a plus defender (Selke votes) but also starting to show some offensive skill.

Cizikas is the replacement for Nielsen. Their playing style, skill set, and career trajectory are remarkably similar. Cizikas today is basically Nielsen of 7 years ago. There's a reason they locked him up for 5 years, the most unheralded but perhaps most important signing they have made this summer.

I don't see any signs that Casey Cizikas has the shown the same offensive talent Nielsen did at the same age. Casey doesn't have an accurate shot, he's not a gifted passer. His goals come from crashing the net or picking up garbage from his linemates who are crashing the net. Casey can finish on the breakaway, but after that they are vastly different offensive players. The comparisons make me wonder if people were old enough to see Frans Nielsen play when he was 24-26 lol.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Strome is no where near the skater Barzal is.

That being said, Strome is juggled around more than any top five pick I have seen in awhile. Meaning, for a kid who posted 50 points in his first full season, to be handled the way he was, there are no excuses.

Moreover, Capuano then would call out these young guys time and time again. For a guy whose only redeeming quality was to be a players coach who can work with younger talent (or so they said), has seemed to stall the progress of every young player on the roster.

Brazal is a better skater and is not a Whimp! Strome will be given his chance at Camp but Please let The Best Center win the Position and not just given.

I know many might think Barzal is not ready but I have seen more from Barzal in Last Years preseason Then Many players who made the team.

Snow was Very Impressed With Josh Ho Sang...so we might see this kid make the team. Perhaps he has grown and will take his Job serious this year.

Ladd JT Josh Ho Sang

Lee Barzal Pap

Prince Nelson KUle

Chim Casey Clutter

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Brazal is a better skater and is not a Whimp! Strome will be given his chance at Camp but Please let The Best Center win the Position and not just given.

I know many might think Barzal is not ready but I have seen more from Barzal in Last Years preseason Then Many players who made the team.

Snow was Very Impressed With Josh Ho Sang...so we might see this kid make the team. Perhaps he has grown and will take his Job serious this year.

Ladd JT Josh Ho Sang

Lee Barzal Pap

Prince Nelson KUle

Chim Casey Clutter

Where's Strome?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Ladd JT Josh Ho Sang

Lee Barzal Pap

Prince Nelson KUle

Chim Casey Clutter

If for any other reason than his temperament issues from the past, if I am Garf Snow I stick Ho Sang in the AHL for a year and only bring him up if we get in bad injury problems. They are still trying to sell this club to the public. You need to know JHS has moved past his kiddie issues.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I don't see any signs that Casey Cizikas has the shown the same offensive talent Nielsen did at the same age. Casey doesn't have an accurate shot, he's not a gifted passer. His goals come from crashing the net or picking up garbage from his linemates who are crashing the net. Casey can finish on the breakaway, but after that they are vastly different offensive players. The comparisons make me wonder if people were old enough to see Frans Nielsen play when he was 24-26 lol.

I don't disagree with your assessment.... but are you saying that Cizikas cannot match Frans' offense playing that style?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

Ladd JT Josh Ho Sang

Lee Barzal Pap

Prince Nelson KUle

Chim Casey Clutter

You don't leave Strome off the lineup like that. Secondly, despite my affinity for prospects, I don't see us going with two rookies in the top six like that.

Barzal I think has the best shot, Ho-Sang while he has shown legit NHL ready play making ability, there are areas I see them wanting to polish in the minors.

I do think at some point we may see Ho-Sang as an injury call up but I don't envision him on the opening night roster.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Some people are treating Nielsen like he was the franchise player. I would not be surprised if Strome matches his offensive output and more this season.

He was an important part of the core, and as someone who did many different things he was a special player. But you don't need one player to replace everything he did. You just need to give a bunch of players more responsibility.... give Cizikas a more important defensive role, give Pulock his spot on the point on PP1. Doing this makes the Islanders a deeper and more diverse team which makes them harder to beat.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Could you imagine going into the playoffs and Wilson breaks Nielsen in the first period of game 1? He just damaged the Islanders on the PK, PP and top 6. That's the danger in having one player wear so many hats.... spread the wealth and the opponent cannot target one player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad