Waived: Garrison waived and Reinhart loaned to Chicago.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Maybe Reinhart was sent down on a conditioning stint. I guess they can get away with it since they waived another D. Haula is back in the lineup tonight.

Don't get your hopes up on Theodore being called up.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Garrison on waivers?!??? He’s probably the best defender on the team?!?!?

It can’t be another deal like Pickard, because Garrison is too established for anything other than the NHL.

And players like Girardi are on an NHL team.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Garrison on waivers?!??? He’s probably the best defender on the team?!?!?

It can’t be another deal like Pickard, because Garrison is too established for anything other than the NHL.

And players like Girardi are on an NHL team.

He looked alright save that terrible Detroit game. I had my hopes on Mr Garrison improving his stock enough to fetch a 2nd at the deadline. At least there's Sbisa playing well.

Guess McPhee pheels confident no team will claim him?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Garrison makes sense given that his cap hit is 4.6, you wonder how many teams that want him and how many would have the space for him.

Shows me that McPhee tried to move him and no one wanted the cap hit unless they could send back salary. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Pickard-esque trade in which we have to take a contract back to bring him in. Also worth noting: Garrison does have a No Trade Clause. If he clears waivers - and I imagine he will - I could see something like Garrison to Edmonton for Fayne and a pick.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Sounds like they're giving Reinhart a chance to play in Chicago for a few games instead of sitting in the press box during the East Coast trip. He's staying on the 23-man roster, so we can't bring up anyone (Theo?) to replace him, and then the NHL doesn't have to investigate the shadiness of his "conditioning stint" as an attempt to circumvent waivers.

Checking the schedule, the Knights are on the road until they return home and face the Jets two weeks from tonight (11/10). Meanwhile, the Wolves play tonight and tomorrow, then on November 3rd and 8th. Since Reinhart's conditioning stint can only last up to 14 days, I can see him playing on 11/3 and 11/8 with the Wolves, and then coming back to Vegas just before the 11/10 game.

With Garrison waived, they'll still have Merrill if anyone gets injured during the road trip, or they can always call up Reinhart from Chicago.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Still just in shock Garrison was waived over Merrill. The latter is a 7th D at best, and Garrison had 50+ games to turn it around.

Retain 50% and you’re looking at a 2nd rounder or a lower pick / prospect.

Merrill is worth a late round pick. I would’ve taken the gamble on the proven asset over the fringe NHL’er.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
thought maybe garrison would bounce back with the knights. but he looked meh overall. no big loss really

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Still just in shock Garrison was waived over Merrill. The latter is a 7th D at best, and Garrison had 50+ games to turn it around.

Merrill is worth a late round pick. I would’ve taken the gamble on the proven asset over the fringe NHL’er.

Merrill is 25, and Garrison turns 33 next month - I like Merrill's chances of improving over Garrison's. I just don't think Garrison has as much trade value as you do, especially since he's trending in the wrong direction (and has a NTC). But we got two picks and Gusev for taking him, so to me Garrison has already paid off.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Garrison was awful. If there were no trade takers, this was the right move.

Now bring up Ship for Pete's sake.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Who was giving up a 2nd for Garrison? Not a sane GM.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Garrison only played 4 of the 8 games in Vegas, and even though he was a most frequent shot blocker, he was just 5th in average ice time among blueliners over those few games.

A third pairing guy who blocks shots for $4.6 million? :confused:

That is a PERFECT waiver-wire send down/call-up to cover for injuries and suspensions in the short term for a competitive playoff-focussed team with cap room. Given how competitive the Knights are this season, this is a good thing for Vegas for the remainder of this season, though it signals a waste of a draft pick unless he indeed is called up later on this season to help in a playoff drive.

Note: GM McPhee did say before the expansion draft that there would be a few what he termed "throw away picks". We were warned.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
That is a PERFECT waiver-wire send down/call-up to cover for injuries and suspensions in the short term for a competitive playoff-focussed team with cap room. Given how competitive the Knights are this season, this is a good thing for Vegas for the remainder of this season, though it signals a waste of a draft pick unless he indeed is called up later on this season to help in a playoff drive.

Note: GM McPhee did say before the expansion draft that there would be a few what he termed "throw away picks". We were warned.

Wait - how is Garrison a throw away pick when we got two draft picks and Gusev's rights for taking him? In my opinion, he's already paid off.

And I completely agree - he's the perfect waiver-wire send down/call-up. If he clears and no one wants to trade for him (by sending back another contract or asking for salary retention), I'm wondering if we don't just keep him in Vegas instead of actually assigning him to Chicago. He comes off the 23-man roster and then we can quickly call him up if there's an injury/trade. If there's no injury/trade, we can just waive him again after 30 days, and so on.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
oprah-shakng-her-head.gif

I honestly don't know what to say anymore. We give Garrison away for free to hang onto Reinhart. Maybe they see something I don't.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
oprah-shakng-her-head.gif

I honestly don't know what to say anymore. We give Garrison away for free to hang onto Reinhart. Maybe they see something I don't.
We'll find out tomorrow morning if they gave him away. I've got a feeling we just moved him to Chicago.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Ship's got to hang out in Chicago for a game or two, I think it will do him good.
Most likely. His D game needs work. Still, this guy is a vet so his ego is stinging to the point where he has been told that if he can find a fit for a trade he can do so.

I hope he stays there but I would not be surprised if Montreal would really love him. Bergevin is on the hotseat and desperately needs a centre who can score. I'm not sure they have much that LV would want in a trade though, unless it was a a high pick maybe? Montreal's roster is pretty terrible.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We'll find out tomorrow morning if they gave him away. I've got a feeling we just moved him to Chicago.
Fair. But...idk. I just feel like they could really afford to take the risk on exposing Reinhart. Whatever they see, I can't seem to see it. And obviously the trade market just isn't there for GMGM

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Fair. But...idk. I just feel like they could really afford to take the risk on exposing Reinhart. Whatever they see, I can't seem to see it. And obviously the trade market just isn't there for GMGM
GMGM hasn't given anything away for free yet.

I'm guessing Garrison can pass through due to his AAV and it's fairly certain to many of the people that know more than me that Edmonton picks up Reinhart.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Most likely. His D game needs work. Still, this guy is a vet so his ego is stinging to the point where he has been told that if he can find a fit for a trade he can do so.

I hope he stays there but I would not be surprised if Montreal would really love him. Bergevin is on the hotseat and desperately needs a centre who can score. I'm not sure they have much that LV would want in a trade though, unless it was a a high pick maybe? Montreal's roster is pretty terrible.
Montreal's already given a hard pass on him. If there was a market I'm sure his agent or GMGM would have found it and he wouldn't be hanging out in the Rosemont Horizon's (or whatever it's called now) dressing room tomorrow night.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Moved who? Garrison or Reinhart?

A lot of people don't like the guy, but Reinhart reminds me a lot of Willie Mitchell. He's got the tools to make it in this league, but really just needs the opportunity to put it altogether. His game has improved in a lot of facets since the trade and he's a more confident puck carrier. He has a tendency to get beaten on the outside that turns a lot of people off, but I think that's just an adjustment that has to be made.

DO NOT give the Hawks Reinhart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad