Rumor: Garrioch: Ken King Moving On

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Very true. Doesn't mean he should stay though.

You can say similar things about Sutter when he arrived as coach, and slowly things went downhill. Kind of how I feel about King at this point.

As far as I can remember (and I admit my memory is hazy), Sutter coached us to the Finals, then to a division championship in the first post-lockout season, right? Things went downhill once he became GM and stopped coaching, didn't they?

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
So what has King done (in your mind) that caused the team to go downhill enough that he should be fired?

Exactly, King's responsibility is about running an efficient and profitable organization. In the last decade he has done this and turned the franchise from one threatening to leave the city to one of the more profitable teams in the league. His role has become every more important to the owners as this Franchise looks to head into another 7 year playoff drought. As long as he keeps the team in the profits during this upcoming drought, he will keep his job. Especially now that the rebuild is official, attendance, jersey sales and TV value is going to drop severely. Yes, I know a lot of us are excited to watch rookies play and develop on the team but for the casual fan (who make up the vast majority of the fan base) they won't care. Not very many people will want to watch the Flames lose, or follow the development and progress of our rookies. Calgary has grown, and the dollar is stronger than our last drought it doesn't mean the team wont suffer. We need a guy like King with his experience running this franchise and keeping the team in the profits.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So what has King done (in your mind) that caused the team to go downhill enough that he should be fired?

Its all speculation, we don't know what goes on in the ownership meetings. So I can't really say but this team was allowed to stagnate for far too long, be it because of ownership, to management to the team itself. Everyone involved in that process should be held accountable.

Im not saying King should be fired. I am saying I won't be sad if he moves on.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If they bring in a hockey guy, that'd be pretty cool. King is a ridiculously strong businessman, and should be in the true business of the Calgary Flames. However, from a hockey point it'd be nice to have guys ranging from President all the way down to coach that are all hockey guys.

Right now, King and Feaster aren't really hockey guys. Feaster is never going to spot something special in a prospect, nor will he get a steal in the draft, and of course he'll never manage a deal that will rock peoples socks off.

iggyfan8

Jul 30, 2012
If Burke comes here as President he will be GM as well no way he doesn't want the GM job.

This is a good point, Burke had a bad move in Kessel and yet he was given several years to prove himself I don't think it would be bad to show faith in Weisbrod and Feaster.

If you call a bad move acquiring a top 15 scorer in the league.

iggyfan8

Jul 30, 2012
Lets be reality here for a second.

If you were building a team who would you take?

Kessel

or

Seguin, Hamilton, Knight

Pretty easy choice for most I think.

I agree he lost the trade but if that was his worst deal I think he did a pretty good job

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lets be reality here for a second.

If you were building a team who would you take?

Kessel

or

Seguin, Hamilton, Knight

Pretty easy choice for most I think.
except the trade wasn't that. draft picks are unknowns, especially when dealt before the season. Burke expected the Leafs to be a borderline playoff team and I think many people did. Very few people other than the typical Leafs haters would have guessed they would be a bottom 2 team that season.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
except the trade wasn't that. draft picks are unknowns, especially when dealt before the season. Burke expected the Leafs to be a borderline playoff team and I think many people did. Very few people other than the typical Leafs haters would have guessed they would be a bottom 2 team that season.

I agree with InfiniteIggy. That trade was the deal. Too many people wait to hate on GMs because you never know if that 7th rounder is the next Gretzky. Or maybe a projected 29 year old AHLer still could be a top line forward. So your arguing - now that we're 3 years after the fact - the deal was reasonable at the time because nobody could've known how the picks panned out?

So we can't argue either way. No matter what, a trade doesn't have a winner or loser?!

Burke screwed up and jerked his knee, we now know that. So what?

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
One thing to remember - before King arrived here, this organization was in shambles - both the business and hockey aspects of the team. (The Flames nearly moved to Oklahoma City for crying out loud.

While he's not done much to help (or hurt) the hockey side, he's completely turned around the business side of the organization. (yes, a stronger dollar has helped)

If King is leaving, it is because he wants to leave. Or it's because he's getting a promotion as I mentioned earlier.

Or it's just Garrioch telling stories again.

I think its unfair to commend King for Calgary's rescue completely. I believe Edwards coming on board, a strong Canadian dollar, a Stanley Cup final appearance, and a booming Alberta economy played a role. I would even go as far as argue it wouldn't have taken much in those conditions to turn things around.

I'm a firm believer or responsibility and accountability of the leaders first. As a manager, I either let **** happen, or I do something about it if I can. And I'll flat out tell my owner/superior that it was my fault for not having the foresight, ignoring the symptoms, or gave someone responsibility where they obviously were not ready.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Give me a break the leaf roster was pathetic that year burke was the only one who thought the leafs would fighting for a playoff spot. The whole city thought the trade was stupid at the time, fan590 constantly had call ins about how stupid it was for non playoff team to trade away potential top ten picks. The fact one was a lottery pick was a surprise to no one.

Lupul was just luck. He was a cap dump in that deal. Not one person expected him to be a ppg player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree with InfiniteIggy. That trade was the deal. Too many people wait to hate on GMs because you never know if that 7th rounder is the next Gretzky. Or maybe a projected 29 year old AHLer still could be a top line forward. So your arguing - now that we're 3 years after the fact - the deal was reasonable at the time because nobody could've known how the picks panned out?

So we can't argue either way. No matter what, a trade doesn't have a winner or loser?!

Burke screwed up and jerked his knee, we now know that. So what?
They landed an elite goal scorer for draft picks. It's really that simple. You can't look at a deal after the fact and trash the GM because the picks turned out to be better than expected.

People act like Burke traded 2 top 10 picks for Kessel. While technically that is what ended up happening that is not how the trade went down at the time. When the trade happened no one knew where those picks would end up.

It would be no different if the Blues missed the playoffs this year, and bombed next year and ended up giving up a top 5 pick in the Bouwmeester deal. Sometimes trades turn out badly and it's just something that happens.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
They landed an elite goal scorer for draft picks. It's really that simple. You can't look at a deal after the fact and trash the GM because the picks turned out to be better than expected.

People act like Burke traded 2 top 10 picks for Kessel. While technically that is what ended up happening that is not how the trade went down at the time. When the trade happened no one knew where those picks would end up.

It would be no different if the Blues missed the playoffs this year, and bombed next year and ended up giving up a top 5 pick in the Bouwmeester deal. Sometimes trades turn out badly and it's just something that happens.
At the time kessel was a 30 goal scorer once in his career. Not an elite goalscorer. Not worth two firsts. Never was. Stop kidding yourself.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At the time kessel was a 30 goal scorer once in his career. Not an elite goalscorer. Not worth two firsts. Never was. Stop kidding yourself.
He was worth 2 firsts because the Leafs were going to give him an offer sheet if the Bruins didn't trade him. That isn't something that can be ignored.

Not to mention his "1 30 goal season" was when he was what 21 or 22? His production had gone up significantly in each of his 3 seasons up until that point in time. Everyone knew he was going to be a regular 30+ goal scorer for a long time. Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
He was worth 2 firsts because the Leafs were going to give him an offer sheet if the Bruins didn't trade him. That isn't something that can be ignored.

Not to mention his "1 30 goal season" was when he was what 21 or 22? His production had gone up significantly in each of his 3 seasons up until that point in time. Everyone knew he was going to be a regular 30+ goal scorer for a long time. Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise.

Everyone knew he was a one dimensional sniper. With health concerns. An elite goal scorer whos best season is 37goals.

And his goal production dropped after joining the leafs from 36 with bruins to 30 and 32 goals his first two years in toronto. Dont see how thats improving each year.

Dont kid yourself, acquiring kessel was a mistake from day one. Just because the leafs wanted to offer sheet him didnt make the value of kessel change. They overpaid and blew their rebuild.

Gary83*

Everyone knew he was a one dimensional sniper. With health concerns. An elite goal scorer whos best season is 37goals.

And his goal production dropped after joining the leafs from 36 with bruins to 30 and 32 goals his first two years in toronto. Dont see how thats improving each year.

Dont kid yourself, acquiring kessel was a mistake from day one. Just because the leafs wanted to offer sheet him didnt make the value of kessel change. They overpaid and blew their rebuild.

The bias in your posts is nothing short of hilarious.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Yes it really was.

Loving the revisionist history. It was obvious to anyone with eyes that the Leafs still were not a playoff team, but a top 2 pick, I guess not.

A trade is evaluated on who got the better players 5 years later. Boston did easily. Burke gambled and lost, it was a horrible trade both at the time, and currently.

Also based on your logic, you would of not been mad if we offer sheeted (and Avs didn't match) O'Rielly and our pick ended up 1st overall? After all, how could Feaster have known right?

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
The bias in your posts is nothing short of hilarious.

Where was the bias? He said kessels improved his numbers every year. He hasnt. He didnt match his boston career high til his third year in toronto.

It was a bad move. Even before the picks became seguin, hamilton and knight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad