Rumor: Garrioch: Ken King Moving On

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

Interesting to say the least. Can't say I wouldn't be glad if he and the organization parted ways (at least in regards to him having any ounce of say in terms of hockey operations). To be safe though, I'd rather he just leave altogether.

I understand his assets in terms of dealing with the business side of things are important, but hockey isn't a hard game to sell in this town, and beyond a slight delay, it shouldn't change much with plans for the new arena.

I'd love to see Burke hired. He'd be able to protect Feaster/Weisbrod from Edwards, though he may not be hired for that very reason. He's a risk taker, but understands how to build a team. That team in Toronto is all on Burke.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if a new GM was on his way too. A new president might want to pick his own GM just like a GM wants to pick his own Coach, Coach wants to pick is assistant, etc.

Changes are coming.

Aug 3, 2010
Crazy amount of front office changes coming up for both teams in Alberta between now and September 1st, I'm sure. Heck, even before draft day, I'd wager.

It's too bad Calgary missed out on Davidson's availability and Jarmo as well - that duo in any hockey city would be a fantastic set up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That would be terrific news. If only it would have come from a source other than Garrioch.

And there's no reason for Feaster to stick around either. Let whoever the new president is hire their own GM. Although I suspect that could mean the end of Hartley as well.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
YES! This is the best day all year :handclap:

Hopefully Feaster takes King's spot and we bring in Burke.

Not exactly sure Feaster deserves a promotion. If he's not being let go, leave him where he is, and he can negotiate deals and be Burke's puppet.

Understand that Burke threw away some picks (a mistake I don't see him making again) but it makes it even more impressive the way he rebuilt Toronto.

Let's take a look:

> Acquired Phaneuf for garbage
> Got Lupul AND Gardiner for Beauchemin
> Got a 1st, a 2nd, and Colbrone for Kaberle
> Signed Bozak
> Traded Schenn for JVR
> Drafted Kadri to piss Ottawa off and now he's their best player :laugh:

Toronto is a team that's as tough as nails. I'd love for the Flames to have that identity.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not exactly sure Feaster deserves a promotion. If he's not being let go, leave him where he is, and he can negotiate deals and be Burke's puppet.

Understand that Burke threw away some picks (a mistake I don't see him making again) but it makes it even more impressive the way he rebuilt Toronto.

Let's take a look:

> Signed Bozak
> Traded Schenn for JVR

He fleeced GMs in trades for Phaneuf and Gardiner. Got rid of Kaberle and hot a 1st and a decent prospect back. Signings like Bozak, drafting Kadri.

Would prefer Burke to be GM and Feaster be president as Feaster is more of a business man and Burke is a better GM.

Aug 3, 2010

Let's take a look:

> Signed Bozak
> Traded Schenn for JVR

Sweet lord baby jesus.
One of the things about Burke that I've always said was that he commands respect from his fellow GMs. That's why he gets good deals, better trades than most in deals. No such thing as a perfect GM but Burke knows how to improve a team, given the patience of working with him, not against him.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Crazy amount of front office changes coming up for both teams in Alberta between now and September 1st, I'm sure. Heck, even before draft day, I'd wager.

It's too bad Calgary missed out on Davidson's availability and Jarmo as well - that duo in any hockey city would be a fantastic set up.

So true. Those guys are quality hockey leaders. Both played significant roles in building what the St.Louis Blues are today....

How about we go after the most "truculent" leadership team in the league!:

President - Brian Burke
GM - Ron Hextall

(I started off typing this in a joking manner, but this actually would probably be a really solid tandem).

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I don't want Burke. I posted it somewhere else -

I believe Feaster has total trust in Weisbrod and Weisbrod has overhauled the Flames scouting and their way of thinking.

I believe this vision needs time for success. There's a Weisbrod plan in place and, successful or not, it needs a few more years to see where the emphasis on the "Weisbrod type of player" takes us.

The O'Reilly incident is a sour taste but I've moved on.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
So true. Those guys are quality hockey leaders. Both played significant roles in building what the St.Louis Blues are today....

How about we go after the most "truculent" leadership team in the league!:

President - Brian Burke
GM - Ron Hextall

(I started off typing this in a joking manner, but this actually would probably be a really solid tandem).

If Burke comes here as President he will be GM as well no way he doesn't want the GM job.

I don't want Burke. I posted it somewhere else -

I believe Feaster has total trust in Weisbrod and Weisbrod has overhauled the Flames scouting and their way of thinking.

I believe this vision needs time for success. There's a Weisbrod plan in place and, successful or not, it needs a few more years to see where the emphasis on the "Weisbrod type of player" takes us.

The O'Reilly incident is a sour taste but I've moved on.

This is a good point, Burke had a bad move in Kessel and yet he was given several years to prove himself I don't think it would be bad to show faith in Weisbrod and Feaster.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Would prefer Burke to be GM and Feaster be president as Feaster is more of a business man and Burke is a better GM.

I understand. Just that the optics of promoting a guy who built a small and under powered team don't look great. I'd rather just let him go and promote Weisbrod or as you suggested, have him be the President and the GM. Though at his age, it may bot be the best idea for him to take on two roles.

I trust Weisbrod, but I'm not so high on Feaster.

EDIT: He's 57, but looks older.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
From what I hear it seems that Edwards likes Feaster so I wouldn't be surprised to see Feaster move up as president and Weisbrod take the GM job.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I understand. Just that the optics of promoting a guy who built a small and under powered team don't look great. I'd rather just let him go and promote Weisbrod or as you suggested, have him be the President and the GM. Though at his age, it may bot be the best idea for him to take on two roles.

Sure the team is small but more skilled than it has been in years, judging a GM based on 2 years is pretty poor we need at least 5 years to see what is drafting has done to judge him. He fits President better than GM nothing wrong with reassigning him to a job he is more suited for. Its like saying Stajan shouldn't have been promoted off the 4th line because he was doing poorly there regardless of the fact he needs to be with talent to produce.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
From what I hear it seems that Edwards likes Feaster so I wouldn't be surprised to see Feaster move up as president and Weisbrod take the GM job.

Of course he likes Feaster. Jay will do whatever Murray tells him because he likes being an NHL GM a helluva lot more than writing some blog for THN.

Sure the team is small but more skilled than it has been in years, judging a GM based on 2 years is pretty poor we need at least 5 years to see what is drafting has done to judge him. He fits President better than GM nothing wrong with reassigning him to a job he is more suited for. Its like saying Stajan shouldn't have been promoted off the 4th line because he was doing poorly there regardless of the fact he needs to be with talent to produce.

Jay's a lawyer by trade, but he hasn't practiced in over 20 years. He's pretty much a hockey guy now and I don't know how capable he'd be of dealing with plans for a new arena and things like that. I'd prefer ownership hire a strictly business guy to deal with the entire sports conglomerate (Flames, Hitmen, Stamps, Roughnecks). Burke as GM/President or a Weisbrod/Burke team.

Basically, I wouldn't mind having Feaster out.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I think Jay would also do much better is a President role as opposed to a position where he manages the team itself.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I think Jay would also do much better is a President role as opposed to a position where he manages the team itself.

Agreed, while I don't think Feaster has been a bad GM, I think he would be better as the president and let the hockey guys like Weisbrod take care of the GM duties.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Agreed, while I don't think Feaster has been a bad GM, I think he would be better as the president and let the hockey guys like Weisbrod take care of the GM duties.

It almost seems like Weisbrod does make most of the moves or decisions. Feaster seems more like a PR guy now

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Have to respect the man; he really helped this team when this team was in trouble 10-15 years ago. However, this is a great day as a Flames fan! Hopefully they move Feaster to being the president and hire Burke as GM. I do think Weisbrod might be let go if we hire another GM.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There's no way for the organization to retain credibility by keeping Feaster on board in any capacity. When he specifically came out and said, "if the Flames want to rebuild, they should find another GM," well, he dug his own grave.

Either promote Weisbrod to GM and hire another president of hockey operations, or hire Burke as President and GM. Weisbrod can remain as an assistant GM or can take over the scouting department.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There's no way for the organization to retain credibility by keeping Feaster on board in any capacity. When he specifically came out and said, "if the Flames want to rebuild, they should find another GM," well, he dug his own grave.

Either promote Weisbrod to GM and hire another president of hockey operations, or hire Burke as President and GM. Weisbrod can remain as an assistant GM or can take over the scouting department.

I believe his quote was if we do a Edmonton style rebuild they better find a new gm. He isn't against rebuilding he is against sucking for years with no attempt to get better except the draft.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
The Flames aren't rebuilding. We're retooling. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad